Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stripped Oil Drain Plug (Read 361 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plug
Reply #15 - 05/01/13 at 09:51:39

Hard drive magnet repurposed for oil system magnets... hmm... I've got 2 dead external drives and a couple of internal ones...

Might have to harvest the magnets, never thought of that trick.

From the oil guy link A.S. put up...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/01/13 at 10:00:37

I did not find it in the search or in the Technical Section - but I do remember that when I joined this site there was a thread on a fellow that had installed a really large magnet on the oil filter cover.  The magnet was so strong he could put a wrench up against the oil filter cover and it would stay attached and hang there.

If you want a magnet in your oil system.....it was a good approach.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 05/01/13 at 10:08:31

Those tiny little magnets are r4eal stout for their size. Ive used them to "Hop Up" my shop "fishing" magnets. A little super glue & they add right onto the end & make them stronger. I use magnets of all kinds in the shop. Holding notes, holding little parts bags & one time I used a magnet & epoxy to close a drilled hole under an A/C unit.. No clamp needed! It held itself in place while epoxy cured.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 05/01/13 at 10:15:43

Dave wrote on 05/01/13 at 10:00:37:
I did not find it in the search or in the Technical Section - but I do remember that when I joined this site there was a thread on a fellow that had installed a really large magnet on the oil filter cover.  The magnet was so strong he could put a wrench up against the oil filter cover and it would stay attached and hang there.

If you want a magnet in your oil system.....it was a good approach.

I think Search is busted again ......  
......  just saying, as it couldn't find this in Tech and only found one supemagnet post in RSD, period, and that was a smagnet war.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197231468

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 05/01/13 at 10:33:04

I have used a filter magnet on my truck for several years. I will say they were a heck of a lot cheaper when I bought mine.

http://www.jegs.com/v/FilterMAG/384

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 05/01/13 at 11:50:03

Yes, we are in danger of starting up another schmagnet war.  I am not violently against schmagnets,.. I'm just waiting for some proof they do any good, except for keeping schmagnet vendors wealthy.

Nowhere on the internet are their any studies, tests, SAE journals, etc, that show increased longevity, more power, less wear, or any other kind of benefit from having a magnet in the oil somewhere to attract ferretic particles.  These things are like the gizmos that create turbulence in the intake flow, or fuel ionizers, or smooth out the intake flow.

Yes, they gather a small percentage of the loose particles inside the motor,.. only those particles that happen to get pretty close to the magnet and only those that are iron or the kind of steel that reacts to magnetic force.  All the other particles could care less.  We rely on a good oil filter to trap just about all the loose particles.

One guy in a previous schmagnet thread said the magnet broke off inside the motor.  Apparently the glue gave way.

Even if the schmagnet drain plug doesn't lose the magnet, and even if it does attract some of the ferritic particles, what effect will that have?  If any of you can find some sort of research that shows how a motorcycle motor will last for, say, 10,000 miles longer because of the schmagnet, I'll go out and buy enough to equip all my vehicles.  I'm big on longevity,.. that's why I use Rotella T6 in all my bikes.

Anyway, the point is: A schmagnet drain plug probably won't hurt any (except for being overpriced) but whether or not it results in any benefits is still up for debate.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 05/01/13 at 12:03:34

Then can we put you down in the not wanting one column Undecided

I don't know if they do that much good or not but the last 15 cars I have purchased new had a magnet on the end of the drain plug. They could have saved thousands by eliminating them Shocked

I'm sure the auto industry did research on them before spending the money. They do all have proving grounds where they run millions of miles of testing and tear-down for measurement.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 05/01/13 at 12:16:27

I don't know that they work either...  I got mine because it was 14mm instead of 17mm... the magnet was just a bonus...
... doesn't Honda or somebody have them stock from the factory?...
I think it was a car... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #23 - 05/01/13 at 12:26:48

I think it's a misconception that magnets will somehow prevent problems.  They are really just a diagnostic tool that can catch a sample of what's floating around in the oil.  You could just run the oil through a strainer each time, and find out just as much;  but the plug is easier.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 05/01/13 at 12:39:57

I think they May help in prevention, but, for the most part, I agree. If you see Mr.Magnet has a beard down to his knees instead of just looking like he could stand a shave,, sumpins goin down,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 05/01/13 at 14:18:29

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/01/13 at 12:03:34:
Then can we put you down in the not wanting one column Undecided

I don't know if they do that much good or not but the last 15 cars I have purchased new had a magnet on the end of the drain plug. They could have saved thousands by eliminating them Shocked

I'm sure the auto industry did research on them before spending the money. They do all have proving grounds where they run millions of miles of testing and tear-down for measurement.

I'll want one if I ever am convinced they do any good.  The first time I see any proof, I'll change my mind quicker than a harley-toad rips the baffles out of a new $35,000 Harley.

I don't know where you buy your cars, but out of the last 15 I bought, the only one that had a schmagnet was one that had three previous owners,.. making me think that one of them had fallen for the snake oil pitch.

I'm sure the auto industry would use them if they did any good,.. similar to fuel ionizers and turbulators and K&N filters.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 05/01/13 at 14:22:28

SALB wrote on 05/01/13 at 12:26:48:
I think it's a misconception that magnets will somehow prevent problems.  They are really just a diagnostic tool that can catch a sample of what's floating around in the oil.  You could just run the oil through a strainer each time, and find out just as much;  but the plug is easier.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/01/13 at 12:39:57:
I think they May help in prevention, but, for the most part, I agree. If you see Mr.Magnet has a beard down to his knees instead of just looking like he could stand a shave,, sumpins goin down,,

A chip detector, eh??!!

They can help this way, but they do nothing to catch aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel, ceramics, gasket material, clutch material, etc., so as a diagnostic tool they would provide only a limited amount of info.

Besides, if the schmagnet is catching chunks of steel, the owner has WAAYYY more problems than trivial discussions like these.  He's headed for some major disassembly.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 05/01/13 at 14:44:53

All my GM trucks and many of my wifes GM cars came with them. She is driving a Nissan Rogue right now. It does not have one.

I havn't bought a new truck since 2005. I am retired and don't drive that much but the 2005 GMC Sierra I have has one.

Corvettes came with them till 2008.

Oh yeah all tranmission pans have a magnet no matter who makes them.

« Last Edit: 05/01/13 at 16:21:33 by apache snow-FSO »  

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #28 - 05/01/13 at 15:04:54

gyrobob wrote:
Besides, if the schmagnet is catching chunks of steel, the owner has WAAYYY more problems than trivial discussions like these.  He's headed for some major disassembly.

You just proved my point.  If you're getting more than just fine ferrous paste, it's time to tear down BEFORE it grenades.  I do agree, though, that they're less effective on motorcycles than on older, mostly steel autos.  BTW, if you really want a good picture of what's going on inside your engine, get an oil analysis.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #29 - 05/01/13 at 15:11:14

Niether my car nor my Pickup has one, but, almost every snowmobile I've owned had one on the Chaincase dipstick. Although the chaincase on a sled is a small compartment with a lot less moving parts than an engine. I believe the benefit of a magnet is to catch metal pieces before the oil pump can pick it up and send it back through oil galleries and possibly plug them. Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped Oil Drain Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.