Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Motorcycle, first problems (Read 572 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: First Motorcycle, first problems
Reply #15 - 04/30/13 at 07:35:06

Ok, here is the second picture of the off angle the peg gets to when I put my foot on it. It just doesnt look right to me, but maybe I just didnt pay attention at it before...

20130430_080128-1.jpg

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 04/30/13 at 07:57:06

And the other side likely sticks up a bit higher, yes? Been a long time since I ran stock peg rubber on mine, but it looks to me like the pegs have been swapped side to side... They'll bolt in alright, but they won't sit right.

Also, as the pegs wear, you need to sometimes add a shim washer to keep them from sagging. Between the peg body and bracket, either side will work.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 04/30/13 at 08:33:19

Yes, the other side seems to be a bit higher than this side. I'll swap them and see if that does the trick, if it doesn't, is this ok to ride like this? I ask because I don't have my license yet and don't have any experience riding...

I want to learn as much about how my bike works before I take my class. I don't want to be that kinda guy that doesn't know anything about his bike...

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/30/13 at 08:37:13

That's not a stock peg...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 04/30/13 at 08:46:01

It does look rather Honda-esque...

Check the market place for some stock take-offs.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 05/30/13 at 09:02:49

Hey everybody, it has been a long few weeks but I finally got some time from work to tinker with my Savage! I decided to take on my ignition problem yesterday, so I checked my spark plug. I didnt see anything apparent when I took it out but when I tested it, it didnt have a very strong arc to it and it was really dirty (it wasnt burnt but just covered in black grime I think). So I went to the parts store and grabbed a new one, along with some oil. I put in the new plug, put my gas tank back on and put gas in it, but when I went to start it it still didn't start. I did notice the rats nest of electrical wire under my seat though and this big thing wrapped in tape. I want to say its my solenoid but I couldnt find it in my manuel. I have pics of it wrapped and unwrapped. When I try to start it this part makes some clicking noise but then it stops, even though I'm holding the ignition down. So I'm thinking this might be an other weak link in my ignition chain. If you can tell what this part is, please let me know lol

20130529_152331.jpg

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 05/30/13 at 09:04:02

Here is an other angle of the same part with the tape still on it

20130529_151935.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/30/13 at 09:04:49

Thats a starter solenoid,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 05/30/13 at 16:13:41

I don't think it's generally wrapped in tape and stuffed under the seat though, is it guys?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 06/23/13 at 08:08:05

Ok, it's been a while since I posted on here but here is my progress from the last time I posted about my problems. I got a new spark plug and battery, so I know those are working properly. I got a new Raptor petcock, I still have a little drip from around it but I think its the seal on the tank itself, not the petcock. I also need to plug the stock petcock vacuum line, but I dont think that would keep it from starting... would it?

So as I was sitting in my garage the other day, pondering my next step, I got the bright idea that maybe the gas I am using has gone bad... I kept a full gas can in my 74 ford bronco, because I had a bad habit of running out of gas on my way to work last year. Well I parked the Bronco and forgot about the gas can, so when I got my Savage I needed one so I grabbed that one, which was still full of gas (after about 7 months of just sitting in the backseat of the Bronco). I opened the can and it smelled like good gas and there wasnt any dirt in the bottom of the can, so I figured it was ok to use. Does gas go bad? I know it does eventually but I'm not sure how long it takes. I still have about half of the can left, but I dont know where I can get rid of it safely (being from Colorado, theres no way in hell Im going to just pour it out somewhere, the state is burning up on its own just fine without my dumb ass helping it).

Are there any other ideas ya'll can think of to get this baby started? I'm starting to look around for a shop that does work on Suzukis but really the only place here in Colorado Springs is a big dealership-esque parts shop, and I dont know if I want a big shop that probably doesnt work on these kind of bikes very often to do the work. There are a few custom shops that I see on my way to work, so I might stop by and chat with them about it. If they dont do the work, maybe they know somebody in town that does.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 06/23/13 at 08:29:55

YOu may have a new battery, but if its not fully charged & youre having problems starting it, youve gotta get a charger on it,
You have to have a voltmeter to play mechanic., The batter needs to be at 12.5 volts to be Hot. IDK what the least it can be & still have the power to spin the starter AND fire the ignition.
Get some ether, get the carb to air cleaner tube , not all the way off, just part way, so you can put a little squirt in. Just see if it gives ya a hint, some kinda proof it will fire ether & make the motor sputter or poot or Something,, just any sign of life..BUt dont go spraying that stuff in there like WD40 on a rusty hinge,, its Highly combustible & can hurt an engine when it ignites,

Yep, gas Can go bad,, yours is probably okay, BUT,, you need to empty the tank anyway to pull the petcock & check out why its dripping,
Soi, get fresh gas, get the petcock off, make sure the gasket has a smooth, clean surface to mate to, study where that oblong O-ring thing is sitting. Gotta be flat. Make sure theres no low spot in that O ring lookin thing,

Hard start issues with these are common,, & once the battery has been asked to spin it over a while, It Has to charged up or its just not gonna fire. YOu could have a crappy connection in the ignition circuit making it require a bit more voltage to get it to fire, IDK, wouldnt hurt to pop the seat & unplug & study & reseat connectors.
Now is a good time to build a pig tail on the battery with a clip together connector for a float charger. Radio Shack has packs of 2 for $1.50 IIRC.
Need a solderin gun,, yea, the little pencils are cheaper, but take too long to get hot. Get a Weller Gun, 2 stage, some paste flux & a roll of solder. BUild the connector onto wires & solder them to washers to put on the bolt or solder to the bikes battery cables. YOu can strip the wires long enough to wrap & twist so it has good physical connection, then, just enough solder to secure it where its twisted & go around the battery cable on the ppigtail wire. If you can still see the shape of the wire & its individual strands, but theyre silver & shiny, covered in a thin film of solder & you can see the solder flows onto the cable its wrapped around, youre there,, Gobs of solder isnt a good job, A real battery charger to pick a "Too low to turn the lites on"  battery up is a necessity. A float charger to heat it back up after a few minutes of trying to start is handy,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 06/23/13 at 11:57:41

Quick and dirty solenoid test... bridge the 2 big posts with a screwdriver. If the engine spins over, the clicking is most likely the solenoid, if it won't spin over then it is a battery issue.

You'd best hope it is just a weak battery... My stealership odered and shipped me a starter relay/solenoid when I needed a decompression solenoid/relay. $90 oops on their part that I got stuck with, since electrical parts are not returnable. Even though they ordered and sent the wrong part...  Angry

And that solenoid bolts to a shelf on the stock rear fender, look between the frame tubes below/behind the seat. I "think" old battery bolts are the right thread pitch.

And open up your right side switchbox, look for a spider nest, that will short it out enough to cause a no start problem, been there, deleted that.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #27 - 06/24/13 at 21:27:14

im pretty sure that the only year the savage had the flat bars was 87 mines an 87 and has factory flat bars they might be aftermarket on yours i could be wrong tho Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #28 - 06/25/13 at 17:11:42

savagerider87 wrote on 06/24/13 at 21:27:14:
im pretty sure that the only year the savage had the flat bars was 87 mines an 87 and has factory flat bars they might be aftermarket on yours i could be wrong tho Wink

Hi Savagerider, the savage was available with either bar from 86-88 and 95. The Savage LS650F has the flat handlebar and the LS650P has the pullback handlebar.  96-2004 were only available in the LS650P. 2005 on is listed as LS650, no handlebar designation and is only available with the flat handlebar.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Motorcycle, first problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.