2005 s40 blinkers (Read 119 times)
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
2005 s40 blinkers
06/24/13 at 20:56:53

Hey There!

I am trying to replace my blinkers on my 2005, and I have no idea where to start... I got new blinkers that are universal, and from what I have read I need to splice them and connect them to the new ones... does anyone have advice as to how to do this?

Also I am trying to put in some bar end mirrors, and the bolt is too long, is it safe to say to get a smaller bolt from a hardware shop to fit in at the end of my bars?

Any advice here would help tons!!

I used to do a lot of work on cars, but I am at a loss when it comes to my bike.

Thanks!

05 S40 Suzuki with 9k Miles
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: 2005 s40 blinkers
Reply #1 - 06/25/13 at 02:08:58

Hi.

I don't understand the issue with the blinkers, unless you want them to work along with the exixting ones...
...or do you simply want to replace the ones you have with a new set?

In the latter case, just unbold the old, unplug the wires and plug in the new cables, bolt on the blinkers and you're done!

As for the bar end mirrors, if the bolts are too long measure how much too long they are, and buy two new bolts which will use the same nut, and are shorter by the amount you need.

Shouldn't be a big deal !  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/25/13 at 06:06:09

The front blinkers are dual element and also work as running lights.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/25/13 at 06:59:06

Your bar end mirrors are going to be a problem if the bars have the metal weight welded inside.  There is very little room to install the mounts for the bar end mirrors in the stock handlebars.  You can try a shorter bolt....no gaurantees.

The turns signals are held in by screws on the side of the mounts that thread into the turn signal stalks.  Most replacement turns signals do not mount this way....so you are going to change things to make the replacment turn signal work.  The stock rear signals are single element and only work as turn signals, the stock front turn signals also have running lights in them.....so you may end up not connecting the brown wire if you don't have running lights in your turn signals.....the turn signal wires are mint green and black I believe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
Reply #4 - 06/25/13 at 19:13:56

So I do have the bar end weight in my handlebars so I will have to pick up a shorter bolt (like originally thought) Would anyone suggest drilling the weights??

Also I am replacing my rear blinkers with new blinkers (one broke off when I laid the bike down to avoid an a bigger accident.

In theory can I just remove the old wiring and plug in the new wiring?

05 S40 Suzuki with 9k Miles
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/25/13 at 20:41:24

The new generic turn signals probably have a threaded stem with a nut on the end.  You may have to ream out the existing mounting holes in your bike to get them to fit in.  You'll have to take out the old ones before you will know for certain.  You can secure the new signals with the nut that is provided or maybe you could jam the Savage's set screw into the side of the threads and it would hold.  Won't know until you get into it.

Your new generic turn signals may have 2 or 3 wires.  One wire for the blinking (probably red), one wire for the ground (probably green) and possibly a third wire for a running light of some other color.  As Dave already mentioned the rear set on the Savage is blinking only and only two wires are provided, the blinker and the ground.  The front bulb and socket also has a filament that is used as a running light.  So for that connection the Savage has three wires.  If your new signals don't have three wires just hook up the one for the blinker and the ground.

Which one is the blinker?  In a three wire setup with a dual filament bulb the brightest one is the one you should use for blinking so people can see it in the day light.  The running light filament is dimmer because it only needs to be seen at night.

Test your new turn signals before you start.  Hold the wires to a 12 volt battery.  Car batteries are easy to reach.  Ground to negative and then touch the other lead to positive to test.  The rear wires on the Savage turn signals are (I think) black and black with white on the left side.  On the right side I believe it is green and black with white.  The green wire (if that is what you have) should connect to the black and white wire.  Hope this helps.  If not, post again and tell us how many leads, 2 or 3 and anything else that you have.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2005 s40 blinkers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.