Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help me fix my popcorn mak-- Savage exhaust (Read 282 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Help me fix my popcorn mak-- Savage exhaust
04/24/13 at 12:26:26

Hey guys, been lurking around this board some time now, just finally got around to starting to work on the bike. Just did the seat spacer mod and wow, what a difference! No more sore butt-bone. Anyway...

I know this question has been asked plenty before, but since I'm new, I don't have stones the start cracking away gung-ho. Doing this on past autos has only left me with more problems.

When I bought this (my first) bike, I didn't happen to look at the exhaust itself. The bike started up, sounded to me like it ran okay, had everything it needed to pass NYS inspection, so I picked it up for more than I care to share. Upon closer inspection, I found that someone modified a harley sportster exhaust by cramming it full of steel wool and bending the mount so that it would fit the frame.

Steel wool? Really? I have a lot to learn. I knew that wasn't right, and probably not doing my bike any good, so I took that off entirely, and put another sportster exhaust on unmodded I got from a friend. I know nothing of tuning and rejetting, so now it sounds like an oversized popcorn maker. Way too loud, sounds like I tried making it into an ghetto mans HD. Really ugly, kinda embarrassing.

I was thinking of going to a muffler shop and getting a longer, more streamlined pipe and wrapping it. Would I have to replace the header pipe in order to make it one solid piece, or some other way? I know that Serowbot posted a rather long and detailed tuning guide, which I studied at length but never actually put into practice. New guy jitters, I suppose.

Cash is really tight right now (recently unemployed) so I want to save myself from going back to the stealership for something I should learn how to do on my own. In other words, help me clean up someone elses mess.

Steel wool? Really? C'mon...

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Re: Help me fix my popcorn mak-- Savage exhaust
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 16:02:56

I know u said money is tight, but if u get the extra cash, Jardine has a pipe that slips on for the savage.. its called jardine rumblers and dennis kirk sells it for around $165 but sometimes u can get it on sale.  Trust me the bike is LOUD with this on and is 100% NYS legal.  A friend had it on her "96 and as far as rejetting, she didn't have to but you may or may not have to. hope this helps and good luck Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 16:14:44

I've considered getting the jardine, I may save my pocket change and do so. I would like to do something in the meantime so people don't think "Jiffy Pop" every time I ride by. I attached a photo of the mess Im dealing with...

IMG023.jpg

Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 16:27:17

Looks like there's a good size gap where the muff slides onto the header.  Fixing that will probably eliminate an air leak and may slow or stop most of the popping.  Air leaks anywhere will contribute to backfires.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 16:33:43

Having just installed Jardine rumblers.... i should have done the dyna mufflers.

And btw as I person who was in your situation and finally took a leap into carb jetting. It is not that hard! ( http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985 ) this was very helpful for me and it very much guided me through it.

Also this should be useful for you(its from the companion cd available in the tech section): http://imgur.com/a/knj1F

The hardest part for me was removing and reinstalling the carburetor in the very tight area its in.

It looks like you might have exhaust leaks as well... so maybe doing the exhaust tin crumple gasket mod will benefit you.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 16:33:58

Just get a new Harley muffler that hasn't been destroyed, and mount it up properly... $20 or $30...
That thing you got on there is total mess...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #6 - 04/24/13 at 17:23:23

I have to admit, if this place has a wall of shame, that should definitely be up there, and Im embarrassed to have to show you guys such hack jobbery. Can't say its all my fault, rather, a lazy ex-owner, combined with a inexperienced new owner leads to such fails. So its time to do it right, hence why Im here. I do have another HD exhaust that will fit, but I don't know what sort of hardware I should use to ensure no leakage. Hardware store or bike shop?

I have $40-$50 to make this right. Can it be done?  :'(

Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/24/13 at 17:36:02

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 19:04:24

Coaxial wrote on 04/24/13 at 17:36:02:

+1 I followed Serowbots Harley muffler guide to swap out my stock cannon for a harley Dyna muffler. Several ways to do it. I went to the local muffler shop and had an adapter pipe made for $15 Then I used the stock chrome trim. Take it apart, study it for a bit, don't rush it. You want it to be leak free so it won't backfire.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/87Savage/media/039_zps206e98e1.jpg.html?sor...

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/87Savage/media/010_zps416442d0.jpg.html?sor...

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #9 - 04/25/13 at 04:38:33

I never saw that post... all it takes is a tin can and some ingenuity. Thanks for all the help. My bike never came with a heat shield, so I'll have to get one. I'll be back with some before/after pics.

TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #10 - 04/25/13 at 09:06:46

Took a trip to a cycle shop around the corner... turns out they had a HD Dyna exhaust taken off a chopped Savage, quieted down the right way (apparently the other exhaust I had was drilled out completely, hence why it was so loud). $20 later, I was on my way.

Direct fit, no mods needed, did the tin can trick and success! No more grand canyon exhaust gap, no leaks whatsoever and saved me the $15 Suzuki wanted for the ring the campbells soup is mimicking. The sound is hushed at idle, though still has a nice dull roar mid and high end, exactly what I wanted.

Still, I would like to get a heat shield to cover the still-ugly joint, but being able to ride a nice-sounding bike is good enough for now until I can scrape the money together for the parts I want.

I came out $30 under budget and met some cool dudes I never knew were right around the corner.  Grin

IMG024.jpg

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/25/13 at 09:32:48

GOOD DEAL!! A quick, cheap, easy answer AND youve got one of the best
mufflers for this bike you can get, IMO. Ive got about a $400.00 Supertrapp & I Wish I had gone with the Dyna. Better lookin & almost the same performance wise.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/25/13 at 09:33:42

Good Deal!

Just order a 2" clamp on heat sheild....or go get one from those new friends down the stret.

Dave

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cruise-Heat-Exhaust-Shield-Guard-Straight-...

« Last Edit: 04/25/13 at 11:20:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/25/13 at 09:42:22

No more, "Wall of Shame" for you,  PJ... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/25/13 at 09:43:12

& look up T-bolt clamp, Youll be amazed at the clamps available

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me fix my popcorn mak-- Savage exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.