Removing head covers (Read 407 times)
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Removing head covers
04/24/13 at 11:43:09

I'm considering getting head covers off for easier maintenance + older looks..

So if I remove those 4 bolts....
A. Im done
B. i have replace them with shorter ones?

So do they give any tension to head/cylinder ?

« Last Edit: 04/24/13 at 17:33:30 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Head cover not coming off...
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 11:58:51

Don't exactly recall but I think the extra long one that's over by the decomp might need to be rigged cuz it does give some pressure there...but like I said...i don't recall...exactly...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Re: Head cover not coming off...
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 12:21:42

Should have checked it last time I had it open  Sad

Anyone recall ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Removing head covers
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 17:36:21

The front left fastener for the head cover is a long bolt with an acorn nut on it.  You can't take it out with the head still on.  The best you can do is to stack some washers on it and put a not back on.  You could just leave it sticking up without a nut - however it is a bolt that does apply pressure to the head cover....and it should be used.

The other 3 head cover fasteners just screw into the head cover and can be removed and left off.

This is how I currently have the bolt on mine.....however when I had the engine apart I put a threaded stud in that I can cut off at any lenght, and it will be trimmed to length soon.

Decompressor_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 18:33:38

Geez Dave, that engine sure looks super clean. Freshly painted?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 19:58:56

Good idea Dave! I think the sleeve looks much cleaner than a stack of washers!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/25/13 at 04:48:24

87 savage wrote on 04/24/13 at 18:33:38:
Geez Dave, that engine sure looks super clean. Freshly painted?

The bike only has 1,762 miles on it, and at about 1,000 miles it came apart to fix a loose bearing and loose flywheel......so it got a real cleanup about 700 miles ago.

I plan on getting it dirty this summer! Grin

IP Logged
Gentlemanjim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/26/13 at 00:28:49

Why not just use a dremel or hack saw blade and cut the head of that long bolt off?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/26/13 at 04:21:10

Yea I just did mine not long ago and used an open ended hacksaw blade on the advise of Bouletard originally, then just got shorter hardware.  I laid painter's blue tape around the area first so as to not scratch any of the paint off  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/26/13 at 04:47:58

Gentlemanjim wrote on 04/26/13 at 00:28:49:
Why not just use a dremel or hack saw blade and cut the head of that long bolt off?

I don't belive the stock bolt is threaded down far enough to allow you to cut it off near the hed cover and still install a nut and tighten it down.  I do believe you can cut some of it off.  If you cut it off completely, that corner of the head cover is not clamped down as it should be.

I have a stock bolt and a cylinder had and cover I can check and see how far down it can be trimmed.....I will post pictures this weekend.

IP Logged
Gentlemanjim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/26/13 at 05:39:05

Dave wrote on 04/26/13 at 04:47:58:
Gentlemanjim wrote on 04/26/13 at 00:28:49:

I don't belive the stock bolt is threaded down far enough to allow you to cut it off near the hed cover and still install a nut and tighten it down.  I do believe you can cut some of it off.  If you cut it off completely, that corner of the head cover is not clamped down as it should be.

I have a stock bolt and a cylinder had and cover I can check and see how far down it can be trimmed.....I will post pictures this weekend.

If the covers are being removed there is no need for the bolt.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/26/13 at 05:54:21

Gentlemanjim wrote on 04/26/13 at 05:39:05:
[quote  If the covers are being removed there is no need for the bolt.

The need for that bolt is open to debate.  It provides the clamping force for the left front corner of the head cover.  Suzuki must have thought it was a good idea to have it hold the head cover down, or they would have just made it like the other 3 bolts.

I gabbed these photos from the Technical Section.  Here is a photo that shows the long bolt with the cover removed - and the threads do not run down far enough to allow it to be cut shot enough to put on a nut and have it tight.

And here is the gasket surfce that shows the bolt does provide a clamping force at the front left corner.

It is my opinion that the font left corner should be secured.  If you are comfortable that it won't leak or warp with that bolt gone......that is OK with me......I just was not comfortable without having a bolt in that spot.

« Last Edit: 04/26/13 at 07:00:56 by Dave »  

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #12 - 04/26/13 at 07:17:24

Dave wrote on 04/26/13 at 05:54:21:
The need for that bolt is open to debate.  It provides the clamping force for the left front corner of the head cover.  Suzuki must have thought it was a good idea to have it hold the head cover down, or they would have just made it like the other 3 bolts.

And here is the gasket surfce that shows the bolt does provide a clamping force at the front left corner.
http://i41.tinypic.com/35l4squ.jpg

It is my opinion that the font left corner should be secured.  If you are comfortable that it won't leak or warp with that bolt gone......that is OK with me.

Dave I definitely agree with you that the bolt is necessary. Looking at  your photo, one can clearly see the slot for the bolt passes through the sealing surface. But, I believe that Suzuki chose to go with the long bolt because the decompression linkage is right in the way of where a short cover bolt like the other three would need to go. When I reassembled my engine I forgot to put the bolt in before bolting on the cylinder head cover. So I put the bolt in from the top and threaded it into a nut with lock washer on the bottom. I didn't even have to remove the tank, just lifted the back of it. Worked fairly slick.  I included a photo:

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/87Savage/media/002_zpsa8449ad3.jpg.html

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/26/13 at 07:26:00

When I reassembled my engine I forgot to put the bolt in before bolting on the cylinder head cover.

Wish Ida been there to see your face when you realized what youd done..

You didnt say anything ugly, did ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #14 - 04/26/13 at 07:39:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/26/13 at 07:26:00:
When I reassembled my engine I forgot to put the bolt in before bolting on the cylinder head cover.

Wish Ida been there to see your face when you realized what youd done..

You didnt say anything ugly, did ya?

I did call myself a few choice name that I can't print here. Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing head covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.