Re: second gear..... (Read 187 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: second gear.....
04/23/13 at 20:23:51

I down shift a lot instead of braking, and I'm wondering what you guys do from second to first. Often I'm just barely moving, trying to time the light instead of stopping and putting my foot down. Is it bad to go into first while rolling (slowly) or can this motor take the lugging in second, instead?  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 20:40:57

The RPM drop when shifted from 1st to 2nd is pretty big. I dont like 2nd below 20. My feeling is, if its turning over too slow to immediately accelerate hard if I twist the gas, its too slow for that gear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 04:04:07

At slow speeds or when approaching a stop.......I use my brakes for slowing down more than the engine.  I do however shift gears and let the clutch out to make it easier to shift gears.....so that I am not in 3rd gear sitting at the stop.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 04:07:55

Anytime I come to a light or a stop sign, I downshift into 2nd, then from there I use the brakes.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 04:20:16

I primarily use the brakes and shift to the proper gears while doing so (not down shifting to help slow the bike just being in the proper gear for when I'm ready to go)
Replacing the front brake pad is easy, I don't like to put stress on the engine and gears when it's not needed. I used to downshift and loved the feel of it when I was younger, now I'm just prudent  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 18:59:25

raydawg wrote on 04/23/13 at 20:23:51:
I down shift a lot instead of braking, and I'm wondering what you guys do from second to first. Often I'm just barely moving, trying to time the light instead of stopping and putting my foot down. Is it bad to go into first while rolling (slowly) or can this motor take the lugging in second, instead?  

Revving the motor a bit is not gonna hurt it.....but lugging it could.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 04/24/13 at 19:56:18

Digger wrote on 04/24/13 at 18:59:25:
raydawg wrote on 04/23/13 at 20:23:51:

Revving the motor a bit is not gonna hurt it.....but lugging it could.

Agreed!   Just remember the #1 Savage rule........RPMs above 1000 to keep proper oil flow to the top-end. Lugging our engines equals improper oiling of the head and valve train.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 04/24/13 at 22:25:56

Doesn't the book say not to shift to first till the bike is stopped?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 22:40:31

I don't into first,.. until I'm down to walking speed...

Slowing to a stop from top gear,...I cut the throttle, use some engine brake... double click to third... use some engine brake... then, two clicks to neutral, and coast in...  if I think the light is about to change,.. I click down to first, at walking speed... or up to second if I'm rolling faster...  
If I know I'm gonna' be waiting near a full light,.. I just coast up in neutral... (and watch the rearview,.. flick the brake light a couple of times if the car approaching is too fast)... once the guy behind me is stopped... I relax, and let out the clutch... stretch out my arms and make funny hand gestures and scratch in rude places... try to tease small children, trapped in car seats...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 04/25/13 at 14:46:45

ToesNose wrote on 04/24/13 at 04:20:16:
I primarily use the brakes and shift to the proper gears while doing so (not down shifting to help slow the bike just being in the proper gear for when I'm ready to go)
Replacing the front brake pad is easy, I don't like to put stress on the engine and gears when it's not needed. I used to downshift and loved the feel of it when I was younger, now I'm just prudent  Wink

I follow the same process -- using the brakes to slow the bike, rather than the clutch and transmission.  When I drove vehicles with sticks (Mazda RX7's, Miata, B2300, and B4000), I did the same thing.  I was told at the time that brakes are cheaper than transmissions to fix or replace.  And that's oh-so-very true.

Downshifting any vehicle (car, truck, or bike) to slow it is probably primarily done more for fun than efficiency -- I know, I've done it a few times in each of them.  Smiley  But it's got to be murder on the entire drive-train (clutch, tranny, engine), even at moderate speeds.

To slow the bike for a curve or turn, I brake while also methodically tapping down to the proper gear to match my speed.  When coming to a stop, I follow the same "slowing" process, tapping down to first either when I'm crawling at the pace of a walk or when the bike is stopped.  But I'm beginning to believe that it's probably best to put the bike in 1st only when it's completely stopped.

Finally, when stopped at a light, I will keep the bike in 1st if I know the light will be changing to green rather quickly; otherwise, I'll put it in neutral to give my hands and arms a rest.  When I see the lights for the cross traffic turn yellow, then I tap the bike into 1st and get ready to roll.

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 04/25/13 at 19:45:49

There's no need to go down to 1st. Some transmissions won't even allow a 2-1 shift when the vehicle is moving. Go to neutral and use your brakes.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 04/26/13 at 03:49:37

Yeah, you guys make a lot of sense.....I don't remember where I ever got/learned the idea you are suppose to downshift on a bike as part of the braking method  Undecided  I need to retrain my actions and give my bike a "break"  Tongue

Thanks for teach'n an old dawg a new trick!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/26/13 at 07:30:21

IF you want to shift into 1st at 20, its easy to do. In neutral, clutch lever Out, goose the engine up to about the RPM youd be running at in 1st, pull the clutch lever, step down on the shifter & youre there, BUT, be aware, if you let the RPM drop & then let that clutch lever out, you can skid the rear tire.
That transmission is very flexible & forgiving. Just match engine RPM to rear wheel speed in the gear & itll go./

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 04/26/13 at 07:41:16

Yeah, I can put mine in first before I stop every time. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 04/26/13 at 11:37:58

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/26/13 at 07:41:16:
Yeah, I can put mine in first before I stop every time. Smiley

Me too. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:06:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: second gear.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.