Send Topic Print
Internet Tax (Read 116 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Internet Tax
04/23/13 at 19:32:22

"Majority leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and 73 fellow Senators advanced a bill yesterday that would require consumers to pay sales tax on ALL Internet purchases. The Marketplace Fairness Act forces online retailers to collect state and local taxes on every sale and then require them to send those taxes to the states where the shopper lives.

Some Senators are "selling" this legislation as a way to "level the playing field" for big business, while recouping lost tax revenues for states. But it's simply another tax that forces Americans to pay more for what they purchase online. It also imposes complicated regulations and unfairly burdens businesses by mandating that they be responsible for making separate tax payments to some 9,600 state and local governments."                                                                           So they're gonna level the playing field for big business. I guess the CEO's and upper management are going broke. Can anyone imagine the paperwork involved paying taxes to the state and local municipalities. My county and state has local sales tax. Everytime I bought something off the internet that's 2 payments the vendor would have to send out. If I go downtown to shop I have to pay to park and pay state and local taxes. Just another uncalled for tax on the working middle class.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Internet Tax
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 20:24:29

Only if your retailer has over 1 million in yearly sales.

I wonder if it applies to chinese sellers on ebay.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 20:28:04

Odd....I thought in was the republicans that were in BIG business pockets  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/23/13 at 20:33:44

raydawg wrote on 04/23/13 at 20:28:04:
Odd....I thought in was the republicans that were in BIG business pockets  Huh

There is big business on both sides of this issue.
Amazon is setting up distribution centers in several states - including one big one in SC - near charlotte, so there they have the local  republicommunists lathered up, but there is democraps in other states too ... but on the opposite side there is ebay, and they are fighting this with mainly CA democraps.

There is R and D on both sides, and Big business on both sides.

I think the winner will be China and people who buy chinese junk on ebay/digi-key. OK I do sometimes. but electronics even the US ones are re packaged chinese junk.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 06:23:11

Quote:
Can anyone imagine the paperwork involved paying taxes to the state and local municipalities. My county and state has local sales tax

Don't know about other places, but here in NY if the online seller also has a brick and mortar store anywhere in NY, they already collect state and local sales tax on online sales from anyone in NY. Been that way for quite some time.

I don't really know how much of a headache this is for the retailers but the ones in NY seem to have it figured out. Besides; since when has the government ever given a crap how complicated and confusing its regulations are.

I don't much like having to pay the tax - who would- but I think this was inevitable. Angry

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 08:12:42

oldNslow wrote on 04/24/13 at 06:23:11:
Quote:
Can anyone imagine the paperwork involved paying taxes to the state and local municipalities. My county and state has local sales tax

Don't know about other places, but here in NY if the online seller also has a brick and mortar store anywhere in NY, they already collect state and local sales tax on online sales from anyone in NY. Been that way for quite some time.

I don't really know how much of a headache this is for the retailers but the ones in NY seem to have it figured out. Besides; since when has the government ever given a crap how complicated and confusing its regulations are.

I don't much like having to pay the tax - who would- but I think this was inevitable. Angry

pretty much my thoughts.

Yes, in MS if the shop has an in-state presence they collect sales tax.  I am against the tax .. but for reasons that are mostly non-main stream. To be sure I dont want to pay MORE tax, but that too is a minor detail. The core reason I am against it is that this sets the Federal government up to basically replace state tax entitys.. no its wont be there with this bill.. but it sets the stage. Already in THIS bill, the states that want to participate MUST change thier tax laws to conform to this federal bill. its volunteer just like paying taxes is volunteer.

Why have a state anymore?? lets all just be one big unhappy state.. cause everyone knows that nothing is different from locale to locale. ( sarcasm) Verfy much against this.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 04/24/13 at 09:51:05

Another way to keep records of everything we own.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 04/24/13 at 21:17:51

Midnightrider wrote on 04/24/13 at 09:51:05:
Another way to keep records of everything we own.

hitting real close to the truth Midnight! That's the prime reason I believe in the barter system!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 04/25/13 at 16:59:02

Let me tell you how it will be,
There’s one for you, nineteen for me,
‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I don’t take it all.
‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.

(If you drive a car ), I’ll tax the street,
(If you try to sit ), I’ll tax your seat,
(If you get too cold ), I’ll tax the heat,
(If you take a walk ), I’ll tax your feet.
Taxman.

‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
Don’t ask me what I want it for
If you don’t want to pay some more.
Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.

Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes,
‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
And you’re working for no-one but me,
(Taxman). Wink

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 04/27/13 at 14:29:26

In 1992 the Supreme Court ruled a business cannot charge you sales tax unless it has a retail outlet in the state you reside in. Guess whats gonna happen if the internet tax is passed, the Feds are gonna get in on it to. They'll have to get their grubby paws on it just like they do with the gas, cigarette, alchohol taxes etc.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 04/29/13 at 13:11:11

Midnightrider wrote on 04/27/13 at 14:29:26:
In 1992 the Supreme Court ruled a business cannot charge you sales tax unless it has a retail outlet in the state you reside in. Guess whats gonna happen if the internet tax is passed, the Feds are gonna get in on it to. They'll have to get their grubby paws on it just like they do with the gas, cigarette, alchohol taxes etc.

Oh, absolutely, this is a gateway tax, they are running out of taxes to assess.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 04/29/13 at 16:33:52

As long as we spend, we need to tax: and as long as we tax, we will spend.  
It is the simple truth. Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 04/30/13 at 18:20:17

I would probably object being a hardcore internet shopper ... however the truth is lots of smaller districts, counties, cities have been stiffed by agencies like MERS - http://thearizonainvestor.com/mers-sued-under-rico-laws/ ...

Essentially - Real estate transfer fees have been bypassed by listing MERS as the owner of a property and you as the assignee or some such trick. Now this is for something definitely sitting as brick and mortar in the location ... nothing interstate about this ...
Of course they have charged you the fees ... pocketed it and changed the assignee to you in MERS.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 05/03/13 at 00:30:28

I see where Paul (lets screw everybody I can) Ryan jumped in today and he's for it of course. I buy off the internet, one reason is as of the last few years I've gotten better customer service than I have from the local yocals. There's more competition, returns have become a lot easier, 0 interest financing, etc. Its not fair for a state to get sales tax that had absolutely nothing to do with my purchase. Ryan will be the POS that gets the Feds in on it, just wait and see.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/03/13 at 06:14:39

You're absolutely correct, MidnightRider.
My biggest pet peeve with parts is going into, say Autozone.

I need XXXX.
We don't have it, I can order it?
I can order it. I came here because I want it now.

But, if I can save money, get better service, and have it shipped to my door then why even leave the house... why burn the gas? Couple internet purchases with paypal and I just saved myself a trip to the ATM at the same time.

People are practically bending over backwards. I purchased something a while ago and I wanted more detailed pictures... and I got them in less than an hour. A service I couldn't get at Autozone.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:37:07

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Internet Tax

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.