Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ah, 4:20... which holiday is yours... (Read 245 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Ah, 4:20... which holiday is yours...
Reply #30 - 04/30/13 at 19:09:27

Y'know winding an output trafo may be in my near future. Shockingly expensive part of a tube amp.
You can get yourself an input trafo on the cheap by gutting a big HT amp with a nice 500 or so VA 30-35v AC supply rail and yanking that trafo and running it in reverse. I have 2-3 sitting round very eligible for that task. Couple are even toroids.
You can get dynaco st 70 upgrade boards ... or bloody hell, use the old st 70 board - also cheap on ebay and audio sites. 20-30 bucks.

That leaves the chassis and iron and tubes ... tubes gonna cost ya the same ... 2-300. Chassis - almost any price ... your taste and industriousness is the limit here ...

That leaves the Iron ... wind them and you got yourself in for $3-400 tubes included, 30-40 watt tube amp. Buy it and you're out nearly 2 X.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #31 - 04/30/13 at 23:19:38

Not to change the subject but I play only guitar tube amps. It cost over $200 to retube an amp with decent quality tubes, not NOS great ones. But its amazing what a new or different tube will do to the overall sound of the amp. I have 2 1973 Fender Super Reverbs that still have the original tubes. Just for sh!ts and giggles I put some new tubes in one of the Deluxe Reverbs one day and it sounded like sh!t. If I'm alive when the original tubes go out it will probably cost upwards $1000 to retube it with NOS's if I can find them. I've bought several tube amps off of guys that sounded terrible, changed the tubes and I had a great amp. I've been wanting a tube stereo for along time but I just cant justify the cost. Like the moron I am I carried two great turntables to the dump in the late eighties. The older I get the less I listen to music, when I do listen its quality music which is getting harder to find. I'm not into this Thump Thump Sh!t  I ran sound for a lot of bands and when I could hear a good cymbal sparkle and glimmer I knew I had it right. The rest of it would come together. My ears are basically shot just like every other rock guitarist ears so it would literally be a waste of money to drop thousands on a tube stereo. I have a 10 year old Harmon Kardon receiver and Klipsch speakers that will probably be with me till the day I die. I have a decent set of Klipsch speakers on my computer and I do more listening to old bands on You Tube than anything.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #32 - 05/01/13 at 00:05:39

[quote author=44455E5956435F370 link=1366500563/30#30 date=1367374167]Y'know winding an output trafo may be in my near future. Shockingly expensive part of a tube amp.
A guy named Paul Reed Smith started building guitars in the 80's One day he ran into Carlos Santana at Manny's in New York and the rest is history. Paul has a factory that turns out superior quality guitars at the rate of 200 to 300 a week that cost anywhere from $2000 to over $10,000 apiece. About 5 years ago he decided he wanted to get into the amp business so he hired a guy named Doug Sewell out of Texas to get him started. Doug is famous for getting any sound you want out of his custom built amps. I don't know if Paul bought or leased Dwayne Allmans amp that he recorded Live At The Fillmore on but anyway he got it in his possession. He also got Jimi Hendrix's most famous stage amp. Both amps are Marshalls. He got Doug to tear them apart and map everything. Paul had in mind to build a dual amp in one box that contained Dwayne's and Jimi's amps. Everything was going fine until they got to the transformers. The transformers were totally different even though both amps are Marshalls. It was gonna be too costly and time consuming to try to build them theirselves. Paul being the relentless man he is searched for 2 years before he found the right guy to build the transformers. That's how touchy the transformers are. That's one of the reasons Paul is so successful, he is a total perfectionist. Now the finished product is Dwaynes amp on the left side of the cabinet and Jimi's amp on the right side. They're 2 different amps with 2 different transformers sharing only the reverb circuit. Being the guitar very *friendly* person I am I had to have one. All of my buddies love it. I'm good friends with the guitarist who plays for the two living original members of the Lynard Skynard Band, Ed King and Artemus Pyle. He told me its the best amp he's ever played through period. Ed is real sick now (has heart trouble)but if he gets better they want me to go on a small tour with them and play bass. They did Florida back in Jan and I was too sick to go. Its been 35 years since the plane crashed. I think Derrick (their guitar player) just wants to use my amp LOL. It would be a dream come true if Ed and I can get healthy. Artemus has the body and mind of a 40 year old. If you didn't know him you would think he's on speed LOL. Anyway Sri, good luck with your transformer, you've got your work cut out for you.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 05/01/13 at 08:21:53

Old Harman kardon ? Klipsch ?? models numbers please ... and if the klipsch'es are the size of a refrigerator ... I want em when you dont ... If I have to carry em the 100 miles 1 @ a time.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #34 - 05/01/13 at 13:00:53

The Harmon Kardon is an AVR230. 50 watts per channel.Its nothing special though it sounds pretty decent. Its 12 or 13 years old. I bought it new off the internet for $199 while audio stores around here were selling them for 299. The Klipschs are the small ones (Wish they were the big ones) The 5 speaker package. I did splurge and get a 10" woofer. The whole package came in at a little less than a thousand while audio stores were selling the same thing for $1300 to $1500. I would go to an audio store and listen and pretty much pick out what I wanted and go home and buy it off the internet. I'm cheap. I bought a Sony surround sound system for $500 new when they first came out with them in the 80's and my parents still use it today.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #35 - 05/01/13 at 13:51:16

Midnightrider wrote on 05/01/13 at 13:00:53:
The Harmon Kardon is an AVR230. 50 watts per channel.Its nothing special though it sounds pretty decent. Its 12 or 13 years old. I bought it new off the internet for $199 while audio stores around here were selling them for 299. The Klipschs are the small ones (Wish they were the big ones) The 5 speaker package. I did splurge and get a 10" woofer. The whole package came in at a little less than a thousand while audio stores were selling the same thing for $1300 to $1500. I would go to an audio store and listen and pretty much pick out what I wanted and go home and buy it off the internet. I'm cheap. I bought a Sony surround sound system for $500 new when they first came out with them in the 80's and my parents still use it today.

Oh a hk 230 - not a hk230e right - one with a tuner with a thumb wheel ala old marantz but on top ... that would just be stereo, not 5 channel - I have 2 of those.
HK sounds great ... you just dont want to work on it.
I bought a sony for $420 - almost the first purchase in the US. I got rid of it about 2 years ago for like 40 or so.
I've not got 400 in everything in the house ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #36 - 05/01/13 at 21:14:06

Sri- I agree that the older HK stuff was great, but I've not been too impressed with their new digital topology. From the sound of it, you're not either, as far as working on them.

Midnight - I, too, suffer from the effects of too many nights playing in a rock band in dirty little shite hole bars and clubs. My ears are only good for root frequencies up to about 16khz. But I think you'd be suprised how well even damaged ears can pick up on upper register harmonics. Don't let "bad" ears keep you from enjoying quality gear. Especially if you're looking at tube amps. They don't do a great job of playing full range, it's the midrange warmth that sets a tube amp apart.

You're absolutly right that an output trafo, on either a guiter or stereo amp must have near perfect values. Sri's idea of winding his own is sometimes the only way to get what you need. Many, many factors must be considered and adjusted for when choosing an impedance ratio for ouput iron. And as for tubes....be careful. If you don't know how to read a tube power curve chart, make sure to only replace tubes with those of the same model number. Otherwise, one of two thing will happen. It will sound horrible, or you'll burn up your expensive new tubes in a matter of hours. Oh, and if your amp has more than one tube per channel, get a matched set.

If either of you are looking for decent prices on tubes, I would suggest "The Tube Store" out of Canada. Great selection of new and NOS. Even some pretty cool boutique tubes.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #37 - 05/01/13 at 21:57:18

The trouble with todays systems is they're designed more for movies than music. Now that they're printing vinyl again I might spend some money on a tube stereo. I do well with good quality headphones. My best friend (I taught him how to play guitar) mows the yard of a guy who was a technician at the Pentagon. This ol geezers basement is nothing but NOS tubes. My friend is trying to buy him out and I believe the old man is about ready to sell. I've got NOS EL84's and 6L6"s from him. The only other power tubes I use are 6V6's, my favorite amps run these and the twenty watts they put out are easier on the ears. I'm a Fender guy, all my amps are Fenders or handmade clones except for my Paul Reed Smith and it takes 6L6's.I have one Vox AC15 I play my Gretsch and Rickenbackers through. They sound fantastic through the Vox. Its EL84's. If you or Sri need some kind of obsolete tube let me know, the old geezer probably has one. Before I lucked up on that find I mainly ran JJ's. I'm having a major brain fart but the guy I bought them from owned part of the JJ factory and he graded and matched all his tubes. He builds stereos, start around 2 grand. I know that you know who I'm talking about. JJ's are sometimes kind of flat sounding but they're highly dependable, at least mine were. If you've played the Do Drop Ins like I have tone is almost impossible in most of those dives. Most of my sound comes from my pedalboard. It hasn't got but about 8 pedals on it but most of them are no longer available. I've got an original Tube Screamer and several more no longer made pedals that sound fantastic. My Cry Baby was built in 1976. I've been offered thousands for just my pedalboard. I have another great friend who ran sound for Dolly Parton and several other famous artist. He builds his amps from scratch and he tweaks mine. Everytime I have bought a boutique amp like the Paul Reed Smith I let him tear it down to get ideas. I can take a stock amp to him and tell him how I want the sound  tweaked and he does it. Its cheaper than changing speakers and a lot more foolproof. Changing speakers can become expensive, you don't know if its gonna work unless you put it in your cab and most companies wont accept returns.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #38 - 05/02/13 at 06:14:33

I should say the HK amps I have tried have all been uniformly good. However I dont buy anything that tips the scale under 50lb. Or a pound a watt ...
Open the suckers up and its an un classified un mitigated disaster ... fuses - all fuses - 8 of em in mt HK avr 7000 in the bottom of the board that is buried under 4 boards ... and can not be pulled out, they need to be desoldered, so you have to get under that board too.
I have cut a hole in the thing and made a removable panel and put the fuses on the bottom of the board ...

Now the flip side is denon ... sounds fine, and open it up ... its well laid out, but its unreliable as hell ... denon will slap a power transistor onto a heat sink with no mica and no thermal compound ...

I should say these all had their high points and their lows ... yamaha my favorite HT amp - RX-v1 - great, dsp3090 - even better, but they had a few dummies ... onkyo TX sr 805 great - tx sr 806 - awful ... so on. pioneer had a disaster in the vsx1020, but I had a vsx 1015, and a 1017 that was simply phenomenal.
HDMI - the first 2-3 generations of it were bad for these. The Onkyo 805 died from HDMI issues a lot. Pioneer 1020 and 1021 too

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #39 - 05/08/13 at 18:59:10

Check this out on rewinding a transformer -

http://www.pocketmagic.net/2011/09/rewound-microwave-oven-transformer/#.UYsB_...

Apparently a microwave trafo is a great starting point.
I have a few of these, these are common waste/scrap yard items.
Yea I got everything under the sun.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:29:25

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Ah, 4:20... which holiday is yours...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.