Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Iron Rear Tire Removal (Read 117 times)
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Two Iron Rear Tire Removal
04/19/13 at 17:14:20

I'm changing my stock IRC rear tire and I've got 2 16" Motion Pro levers (curved on one side, straight on the other).  I've got my rear tire off and the bead is broken.  I can get a bit of the bead over the rim, but after about 6 inches or so I can't get the lever under the bead to get the rest of the side of the tire off.  Does anyone have some suggestions?  I'd prefer not to have to get a third iron, but it seems like that might be necessary.

IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Re: Two Iron Rear Tire Removal
Reply #1 - 04/19/13 at 17:18:33

I just changed my rear tyre (I'm English) and I had to use 6 clamps to get the bead into the well of the tyre.  It seemed much harder than it did about 30 years ago - perhaps because the tyres are tube/tubeless.

IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/19/13 at 17:21:14

Yeah, I used two 6" clamps about 3" apart with a 2x4 on the underside of the tire to keep the clamps straight.  Once the tire was far enough pinched I could just push the rest of the tire into the rim.  Then I just flipped it over and repeated.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #3 - 04/19/13 at 17:23:14

This is the one thing that I think is completely worth the money that the dealership charges.  Smiley

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 04/19/13 at 17:35:29

Dawn dish washing liquid will help the bead slip over the rim.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/19/13 at 18:52:55

yeah, I have a dish soap water solution that I spray and wipe on.  I will see if K-Mart (headed there for some other things) has the car door protector.  I've got the Motion Pro Rim Shield IIs, but they suck.  Both have split along the rim bend...I've tried oil container plastic and they're okay, they just cut really easy on the back rim.  Maybe I just need to try it again.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/19/13 at 19:33:02

I use two irons and one spoon which makes it a lot easier, the extra spoon or iron is worth the money.  I also have a little clip thing, can't remember the name of it, but it temporarily holds the bead in place and is handy in certain situations.  They use one in the last video.  Also, it is easier to work with tires on a warm day.

Here is a video of a guy using the 3 spoon method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1qG9iQZlg

Guy takes off a skinny tire with two spoons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKzoaL8qaI&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Here they mount a tire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYQ6L2jKKQ

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/19/13 at 21:10:17

Ive done it at home.
I prefer the $30.00 method,
The Idea of "doin it all myself" is real romantic, but the reality of spending all that time & effort on something when I COULD spend the same time on something else, Heck, ANYthing else, mowing the yard, washing dishes, changing the oil in a car,, ( Gee,, I can do ALL of those things in the time it takes to do the rear tire!),, I wont ever do it myself again,, UNless,, No One will do it for me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/19/13 at 21:24:10

This is expensive, but well worth it.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 04/20/13 at 01:53:33

I have 4 tire irons, and on some tires you use them all.

Remember, the goal is to get the part of the bead that is inside the rim to go down all the way to the bottom of the center well, this gives enough room for the "struggle part" to slip on.   Don't ever let the "on" part of the bead seat out on the rim -- this makes it impossible for the rest of the bead to slip over.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/20/13 at 13:10:27

I did get it this morning.  It took 5 levers.  Well, only two "real" levers and I was able to find my three chrome bicycle tire levers.  I placed the two 16" levers about 1/3 around the wheel apart, then placed the short bicycle levers between them.  Once I started with one 16" lever, I used a cheater pipe over the bike levers to get the proper leverage.  Once the bike lever pulled the tire over the rim I could hold it down and move the cheater pipe to the next lever.  Once I got about 1/3 of the tire off I really had to work to get the rest off.  I pretty much just sat on the tire (vertically) to push the bead over the rim.  But I'm glad I got it.  The bike levers are bent, but for $3 I don't care.  It's cheaper than a third lever and the job is done.  I don't use the chrome ones for my bicycles anyway.   Smiley

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #11 - 04/22/13 at 13:26:19

Sorry, I don't own a Savage/S40. Hope to some day. I did the tire replacements on a 2005 Kawasaki KLR650 I used to own. I used 3 tire irons and got it done. I used Windex for a lube, and talcum powder on the tubes as a way to keep the tubes from having a twist in them. I didn't have a motorcycle jack. I used a combination of the side stand, a small bottle jack, and I have a couple of car jack stands. I am now 59, and have one a few flat repairs/tire changes over the years. All were tube type tires, and I have never pinched a tube yet. Yes, there may have been a little blood and swearing, but it feels good to do it your self. Actually the hardest part with the most pain was trying to get the valve stem on the tube, through the hole in the rim for it. Nothing too serious, just some pinching of the fingers. Using the 3 tire irons worked well. I wouldn't do it without 3, and I wouldn't try to use another tool like a screwdriver, as damage to the tire and/or tube is likely. And don't forget to air up the tire and get that bead seated and test for leaks BEFORE you reinstall the wheel.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:15:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two Iron Rear Tire Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.