Upswept exhaust? (Read 223 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Upswept exhaust?
04/18/13 at 18:37:32

Well I spent part of my day exploring options with my Dyna muffler that doesn't have a baffle, i came across a nice older gent in town that works at a muffler shop.  He didn't have any incite into blocking the passage again like Dave suggested, but we got to talking and he was willing to bend pipes on the cheap for me to experiment with exhaust setups. So I had him mock up a pipe 17" long with a 10 degree turn in on one side and a 25 degree turn up on the tail. I've figured a way to mount the muffler and reinforce the mount at the intermediate pipe too. The pipe I had him make was too long and for where I want to mount the muffler too much of an upsweep at 25 degrees. I'm going to have him do another with the muffler at 15 degrees and shorten the pipe to 9 1/2". It should wind up somewhere around here (see photo)

I couldn't believe how heavy the original muffler is compaired to the Dyna, even after reading everyone saying so. It's like a cinderblock!!   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Upswept exhaust?
Reply #1 - 04/25/13 at 10:26:20

Well had some time to work on the exhaust today, I'm happy with the angles and the over all look. I just need to figure out what I want to do for a heat shield and weld a bolt onto the intermediate pipe to use with the original muffler mount for added support.   Cheesy

It wound up being 10 degrees on the header pipe side and then 15 degrees up on the muffler side, it only took me two tries getting the rear angle right at $10 each one a pretty good investment LOL

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 04/25/13 at 11:34:56

Looks pretty cool to me! Cobra makes a variety of heat shields in various lengths. One should work for you.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/25/13 at 17:12:44

Thanks for the heads up Greg, I'll check out what Cobra has.  I've been looking at different types and if I can find one a bit longer then 12" I might go with a chromed flexable heat shield like on the old knuckleheads, since it has two bends and it is galvanized steel I would be able to cover the entire pipe including the bends in one shot  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/26/13 at 07:15:33

Stainless steel flexible exhaust tubing is available at most big box auto parts stores. Sometimes needs to be special ordered...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #5 - 04/26/13 at 07:31:09

I really like that look! I was thinking of doing something like that with mine. My new Dyna has the baffles, fortunately, but I would like to extend like you did to avoid the sooting.

Hows the sound? Did you have to rejet?

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/26/13 at 08:06:01

IDK how to make a flex stay in place, Ive never seen it.
BUT
I DO have an idea you can chew on.
What IF a fella bent a piece of pipe that was fatter than what youre using, bent it Just like what ya have & then cut the thing not quite 1/2 way thru down the middle? A band saw, slicing, ohh, more than 1/3rd but less than 1/2, so you could get a couple of T-bolts welded on spacers ( to hold it off the exhaust a bit, like all heat shields) welded inside, clip it over your new bendy swoopy IGzawst pipe & Go.. You MIte even like it enough to ship it off to the chrome shop..

A guy with a cut off disk in a die grinder or electric grinder could make that cut, just take a good bit longer than with a saw AND be a good bit more effort AND require a bit of skill AND a smart fella would be wearin eyeball protectin stuff.
Ohh, yea,, a real steady hand & a plasma cutter,, thatd get it. Not gonna see the edge innyhow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 04/26/13 at 08:23:44

JP Cylcles (and I am sure others) have a crap ton of shields available. I don't know if Cobra makes a real long one. There are some longer ones on this page. A quick look shows up to 18".

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-heat-shield

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #8 - 04/26/13 at 10:02:20

ToesNose,
Would this effectively be like using long tube headers on a car? Since you don't have the baffle in the dyna and back pressure is reduced could this be an alternative to replacing the baffle?

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 04/26/13 at 13:37:50

Well I didn't take her for a ride yesterday because I had a slight exhaust leak between the header and the intermediate pipe, so I used my free time to cut up an alluminum can and make a filler gasket. I had time today for a ride and WOW the Dyna sounds sooooooo much better then the stock!!!! I'm not sure if the extension of the intermediate pipe changes the sound all that much from just mounting a Dyna directly to the stock header, but OMG it sounds AMAZING!  It sounds and feels like a real THUMPER, almost like a Royal Enfield infact   Cheesy

I think I may need to make my own heat shield, the new intermediate pipe is 16" end to end. I haven't come across any heat shields that are 16" and with the 15 degree upsweep at the end combined with the 10 degree insweep at the header I'm not sure how it would look even if I did find one the right length.

@ JOG- I was thinking of somthing similar, but more like the ones on the Bolt possibly.

@ YoungSavage I repaired the missing baffle wall with a freeze plug and it seems to have done the trick, BTW TY again Dave for that idea  Wink

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/04/13 at 10:06:43

I reciceved an email asking about the mount I made for the muffler and reolized that I never posted a pic of it, so just incase anyone else is interested or if anyone in the future wants to see here it is-

It's 1/2" round steel stock that I hammered the ends flat and bent to match the muffler's contour

@PJ- I had to fix a slight exhaust leak first to figure if rejetting is needed. I got it running well enough without rejetting, but I think I'm going to try a 3/4 needle spacer and 150 Main and see if I can get her a bit smoother. I get more popping not quite gun shot backfire on deceleration  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Upswept exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.