Decompression lever (Read 198 times)
reb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decompression lever
04/18/13 at 13:05:02

Hello everyone,

I seem to be having a problem with my decomp lever. I have removed the solenoid for the manual decomp. When trying to start the bike there seems to be no difference between pulling the lever up, and not touching the lever at all. I'm replacing my starter first tomorrow, but I would still like to know what's "wrong" with my decomp lever.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Decompression lever
Reply #1 - 04/18/13 at 13:54:50

You might pull the valve adjustment cap off the front of the engine so you can look inside to see how the lever works.  When down the exhaust valve rocker can move up and down without restricition.  Then the lever is pulled up it should hold the exhaust rocker open.....after the cam has lifted it.

When you see how it works.....you will have a better understaning of how to operate it.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 04/18/13 at 14:26:57

Dave wrote on 04/18/13 at 13:54:50:
You might pull the valve adjustment cap off the front of the engine so you can look inside to see how the lever works.  When down the exhaust valve rocker can move up and down without restricition.  Then the lever is pulled up it should hold the exhaust rocker open.....after the cam has lifted it.

When you see how it works.....you will have a better understaning of how to operate it.

Dave

Hey, thta's a good idea. I need to do a valve adjustment and I will make it a point to look at this. Thanks!!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/18/13 at 14:59:54

You're prolly not actually engaging the exhaust valve. It's pretty hard to move that small lever all the way. Once you get it into place and open the exhaust valve, trust me, you'll notice a difference. The engine spins really fast because it no longer has any compression. Also, the lever will pop right back as soon as you hit the starter button - you have to hold it in place when you first crank the bike. This is why you'll want a custom one that's longer and has more leverage.

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 04/18/13 at 18:19:34

I suggest one of these

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338020228

I couldn't get enough torque on the decomp lever without it.

IP Logged
reb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/20/13 at 13:17:13

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I looked into the engine by removing the cap on top and I could see the exhaust valve. So you actually have to apply a great deal of force onto the leaver? I thought you only had to move the leaver just a tiny bit to open the exhaust valve? I'm afraid I might break it...

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #6 - 04/20/13 at 19:35:55

okay maybe this is a dumb question. how are you supposed to hold that lever, and your clutch handle, and still hit your starter button?

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
reb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/22/13 at 03:11:23

That depends, in my case I have the foot pedal mod like the Ryca bikes. The original shifter pedal is used to decompress the engine.

Option 2, you could mount one of those manual leavers directly onto the decompression leaver. But in that case you would have to modify the wiring and disengage the clutch from the wiring so that the engine turns over without having to pull in the clutch.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/22/13 at 04:36:14

So......does the lever "need" to be able to push the exhaust valve down?  Is the electric solenoid strong enough to do that with that tiny little cable......or does it just rotate into position at the next rotation whene the cam pushes the valve open?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:28:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.