Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
no change after white spacer mod (Read 280 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: no change after white spacer mod
Reply #15 - 04/15/13 at 12:44:16

I think the biggest problem with using the kill switch is it makes forgetting the key switch much easier, since the engine isn't making any sound. The only reason the kill switch is even installed is for emergency shutdown if the throttle sticks open.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/15/13 at 13:36:32

Baring the 'dang, I forgot the key again' moments...

Our ig circuit is enabled by the kill switch and in turn by the ig switch.
One of the biggest hazards to our bike is leaving the ig circuit powered up for extended periods.  energizing the coil overnite will burn up a transister in the CDI.

The cost of repairing or replacing that switch is a hell of a lot cheaper than the CDI.

WWW   IP Logged
dabid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

London, Ontario, Canada
Reply #17 - 04/15/13 at 14:44:57

UPDATE

So I was messing around with the carb after a good 45 min ride. I kept trying a nice slow shutdown, as suggested, but I still got the POP.

I gave a tweak to the exhaust header bolts, they seemed good and tight already. Still POP

But then i turned down the idle a bit. That did the trick!

I dont have a tach, planning on installing within the next few months. But i slowed it down to what I thought was a reasonable idle, and it shut down nice and smooth.

Tried it a few more times, no more POPs.

Thanks very much for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Broomstick bars, BCB Fender and Seat, Drag Exhaust
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 04/15/13 at 21:34:28

Not to hijack but.... white spacers.... can find any nylon or delron spacers anywhere here. I tried home depot, lowes, ace (out of stock no idea when coming in) and local hardware store.
Anyone ? some on ebay maybe?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 04/15/13 at 23:37:19

old_rider wrote on 04/15/13 at 21:34:28:
Not to hijack but.... white spacers.... can find any nylon or delron spacers anywhere here. I tried home depot, lowes, ace (out of stock no idea when coming in) and local hardware store.
Anyone ? some on ebay maybe?

Just get a Jet kit from Lancer you need the jets to tune it properly anyways, and he supplies 3 steel washers to fine tune the needle.  With all 3 washers it comes in at just under the factory spacer. His jet kit is much cheaper then buying all the jets and the washers or #4 nylon washer separately.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 04/15/13 at 23:40:48

dabid wrote on 04/15/13 at 14:44:57:
UPDATE

So I was messing around with the carb after a good 45 min ride. I kept trying a nice slow shutdown, as suggested, but I still got the POP.

I gave a tweak to the exhaust header bolts, they seemed good and tight already. Still POP

But then i turned down the idle a bit. That did the trick!

I dont have a tach, planning on installing within the next few months. But i slowed it down to what I thought was a reasonable idle, and it shut down nice and smooth.

Tried it a few more times, no more POPs.

Thanks very much for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Just make sure you don't get the idle to low,   you should still be doing about 8 to 10 mph in first gear on flat ground with the engine at idle to be at the safe range for the motor.  The savages engine needs to idle at least 1000 rpm for enough oil flow to lube the top end of the engine or you start doing damage if the idle is lower then that.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 04/16/13 at 05:53:18

I bought a nylon bushing about the same dia as the stock spacer from Ace. The bushing was 3/4 of an inch long so I just sawed off a slice and made my own. The one I made raised my needle up .030.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 04/16/13 at 16:03:21

Drove 40min to next ace hardware...they had what I needed, i bought 4 not knowing how many I would need. Turns out I only needed one, emptied tank of gas, removed seat, removed tank (well unplugged it and set it on a chairback, didn't remove the speedo cable), took carb apart, removed washer, replaced with just one nylon washer, reinstalled carb parts, replaced tank, replaced seat, put half tank of gas in it, started it up, ran it down the highway. It had no surges, good pull in the mid range, no popping, I think I have it about where it should be. On shutdown it does a little Poof, but that might be cause I might have the idle a little high. Thanks for the help and the tech posts, had no trouble with the screws, did it all in about 20 min. including the test ride!
Now its ready for the wife Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:19:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no change after white spacer mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.