Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New owner-Just a few questions (Read 603 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
New owner-Just a few questions
04/07/13 at 19:06:43

Hey all I just picked up a 2005 S40, It was in awesome condition and only had 20000km. Anyways, I had to certify it once bought so I can register it, and the mechanic seemed concerned about the "sound" of the engine.

I thought it sounded normal, but he did have a point in that it made a semi-loud hammering sound especially, it's more pronounced at low RPMS but it's also present just while riding. Is this normal?

Regardless, I think it's an awesome ride, and I'm wanting to turn it into a bobber once I get my gf to ride her own! one can dream!

My second question relates to the startup. I pull the choke out and start it, it runs for about a minute or 2 but begins to slow down and stalls, but if i push the choke in while it's slowing down, it picks back up and runs normal. Now, my only experience with a choke was on my gz250, and with the choke engaged, the rpms would speed up and rev high until i disengage the choke, at which point it would reduce to a normal speed, so what the s40 is doing seems almost like the opposite. Is THAT normal?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: New owner-Just a few questions
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 19:09:09

Cam-Tensioner issue?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/07/13 at 19:46:57

If it's making this hammering sound on the clutch cover by the oil filter cover then it might be the cam chain.  You should look at it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

choke has 2 positions, sounds like you're using the 2nd or all the way out position, 1 knotch out and it will rev higher.

WWW   IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #3 - 04/07/13 at 20:40:47

Hey thanks for the replies,
Good to know the choke has 2 positions, I do usually pull it all the way out, I thought that's how it was supposed to be used.
And I'm not sure where exactly the noise is coming from. it's like a constant thumping sound when accelerating, if i can compare it to anything, think of a helicopter. There are also little fast ticking sounds here and there. For all I know, maybe that's how the engine is supposed to sound, but i've never been able to compare it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/08/13 at 06:24:52

Like a Vietnam War era Huey is normal. Ticking could be normal, or the machine could use a valve adjustment. If the idle speed is too low (trying to make it lope like a Harley Davidson) it will tick as the top end is starving for oil...

Don't be afraid to ask us about the machine, the shop mechanics never see them  and do more harm than good.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 04/08/13 at 06:32:53

20000 kilometers is about 12,500 miles.  It most likely needs the cam chain tensioner mod, or will need it in the very near future.

Verslagen1's reference in reply #2 will tell you all you need to know.

In the Double RYCA Build, we checked the bike that had more miles on it (13,700 I think) and it definitely did need the cam chain tensioner mod.  See reply 17 here: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/15 in the "Double RYCA Build" thread.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/08/13 at 06:59:41

For sure have a look at the cam chain. Once you know thats okay you can relax some. That thing lets go & the engine is nearly always ruined,
Idle speed is Crucial. People turn it low cuz it sounds cool,, but the oil pressure on these things is less than a cockroaches blood pressure & the cam spins in the aluminum head with no bearing inserts to replace. So, it ruins the head,, LUVlee, ehh? Keep the idle at 1,000 rpm at least.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 09:51:51

That cam chain mod seems a bit overwhelming to me. It does seem like the engine is idling too low (and it does sound cool) but with no tach I have no idea how to set it to 1000. Maybe i should take it to the shop for them to tinker with it

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 09:58:44

sesamestreet wrote on 04/08/13 at 09:51:51:
That cam chain mod seems a bit overwhelming to me. It does seem like the engine is idling too low (and it does sound cool) but with no tach I have no idea how to set it to 1000. Maybe i should take it to the shop for them to tinker with it

Idle speed in 1st gear should be about 8 mph or so,  that will be about 1000 rpm for the idle speed.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/08/13 at 10:31:46

NEVER let a shop touch critical adjustments or repairs on a Savage.

The one exception would be Suzuki City in Biloxi MS, IF the owner and mechanic are the same people (Mike and Joe) that were there in early 1998-July 1999 when I left the coast. They set the bike up correctly, including popping the cover off the air screw and dialing it in. They actually knew the platform inside and out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #10 - 04/08/13 at 10:47:54

I shall attempt it myself then  Embarrassed

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/08/13 at 11:25:11

We honestly aren't picking on you. All of us had to learn the bike a step at a time as well. Turn the little goldish knob on the carb clockwise a 1/4 turn, idle speed will come up. Take it down the street in 1st gear, see what the speed is. Turn the knob in a bit more if under roughly 10km/hr, back it out a touch if it will idle in first gear over 15km/hr.

The cam chain/tensioner shouldn't be too difficult. Clean hands, clean tools, take your time. Versy's mod will double the life of the stock cam chain. My bike is 15 years old, I'm sure it needs the work done by now.

fwiw, I HATE working on carbs, engines, transmissions, etc... and I do my own. That's how bad most dealership mechanics are...  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #12 - 04/08/13 at 12:24:39

My 2002 Savage needed the cam chain tensioner mod at 4,200 miles, so they're not all the same, perhaps due to the actions of the previous owner(s) and the quality of the chain.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/08/13 at 12:25:19

WD wrote on 04/08/13 at 11:25:11:
urn the little goldish knob on the carb clockwise a 1/4 turn, idle speed will come up.

That's the screw-knob right near the choke on the left side of the carb... idle-speed knob...

Keeping that idle up to where it makes a smooth, steady, purrr,... is very important to your engine's life and good health....
No lumpy, lopey, Harley imitations...  

TIP... say out loud... "putt, putt, putt, putt, putt," as very fast as you can... and that's how your idle should sound...
Sounds funny,.. but I think it's very close... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #14 - 04/08/13 at 15:06:47

Lots of info here! I don't feel picked on, actually glad you've all done it before so you can share the knowledge  Wink I think i'm gonna like it here.

and yes i'm familiar with the idle speed knob. I'll try to do it by ear but is it possible to "plug" a tach and measure it that way?

I always enjoy working on my stuff, and when i owned the GZ250 i worked on it as needed, albeit not as intrusive as this, but i actually care about this bike!

Also, what is the actual mod? is it the welding? I don't know how!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner-Just a few questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.