Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike died, fuse pops when brake is pressed (Read 303 times)
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Bike died, fuse pops when brake is pressed
04/07/13 at 18:54:16

I was cruising along the HW for about 45 miles at about 65 to 70 mph, happy as I could be, smooth sailing. I took the exit that leads towards my home and as soon as I slowed down to approach the exit the bike started to act up (first thing I noticed was that the lights deemed very fast) like it if it was running out of gas but, it had plenty of gas. I was able to keep the throttle high and managed to reach the traffic light but the bike died on me, no power whatsoever, none.

I had to push my bike about 3 miles until I reached my home. It was one of those days I couldn’t find anybody for assistance  . I was glad I live in Florida (flat!), it was a very cool spring evening, about 65 degrees, and that the bike was an S40 and not a Harley. Still those 3 miles seem like 50 and the bike weighted a ton! :'(

But thanks God I made it home safe. Earlier today I pulled the battery out and tested and it was completely dead, no charge. Left it at the auto parts store charging overnight (trickle change).

I looked at Clymer’s and in page 210 talks about the “Charging System Output Test” and I will try that as soon as I get the battery fully charged. Now, the guy at the auto parts store mentioned that maybe the stator was bad on my bike, I do not know?

The battery is about 9 months old, the bike only has 2,200 original miles (is a 2005). What else should I look or check for? Has anybody had that experience before? The bike dying on you because your battery was all of the sudden without a charge?

Any hints?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 04/10/13 at 07:15:21 by Qwapy »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Bike died, battery (new) has no charge
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 19:03:24

There are guys here know this bike better than I. But being as the bike has "batteryignition" I would suspect the charging system is not charging, and the battery went dead.

And there are many things that could cause the cgarging to quit, most likely a bad connection.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/08/13 at 07:51:30

There are no loose connection. Now, bad connections? or a bad connector? I wouldn't know. I was thinking also about the voltage regulator but, I will wait until somebody (like you mentioned) with more experience suggest a route to check for the problem (battery not charging)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/08/13 at 07:58:12

The first test is to get the battery charged and back in the bike, and ge the bike running.  Then put a voltmeter on the battery and let us know what the voltage reading is when the bike is running.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #4 - 04/09/13 at 05:40:19

This is the problem solving diagram for charging system:

1. First check the battery that battery is ok
2. Engine running, check what comes out of rectifier with voltage meter, must be around 14v to charge... IF NOT ->
3. Check what goes into rectifier when running... 3wires... measure each pair (1-2, 1-3, 2-3) thay each should give you the same amount about 100V... IF NOT -> Stator is broken..
IF stator pairing are OK your problem is the rectifier.

On my 87 I bought 2 years ago, there were now charging. I had to change the stator.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/09/13 at 08:11:41

When you checked the connections,...did you check the ground strap?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 04/09/13 at 08:44:44

Connections are ok, straps are ok. I have not gotten the fully charged battery yet to do the test

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #7 - 04/09/13 at 10:45:28

Btw, before changing stator (if diagnost is that), check wiring just next to pulley. If wires are not correctly positioned the will take contact to pulley and insulation is pieled off.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #8 - 04/09/13 at 20:32:24

We were able to isolate the problem:
•      It was not the battery
•      Nor the stator
•      Nor the rectifier

It is a short on the tail light (that we had just replaced earlier).

When we connected the battery the bike still had no power so, we checked the fuses and one of them was blown. Put a new fuse and the bike started right away, no problem. Still, something must have blown that fuse, correct?
We checked the lights, turning signals, horn, etc, etc and everything seems to be in order. We pressed the brake pedal and Viola! The fuse popped.  

We started to trace back what we had done earlier in the day

We had replaced the stock tail light for a cat’s eye tail light (see picture).

When we were installing the new tail light we noticed that the new tail light only had two cables instead of three cables like the stock light (light, brake light, and ground). So we swapped the light bulb socket from the stock light for the new tail light. We tested and it worked fine, we were still using the original cables and connectors. Everything worked: lights, brake lights, etc. So, I returned home via the HW and that’s was the story I was telling when I started this discussion.

We have not been able to find where the short is occurring, every time we press the brake or step on the pedal, the fuse pops. Now, I was able to ride until I got in the HW with no problem (I used the brake a few times here and there) the problem started when I was exiting the HW and the lights deemed and then the bike died (now, we know why it died, the fuse)

We are baffled; we are using the original light bulb socket with the original three cable connections, why the fuse gets blown?

Cats_eye_tail_light.jpg
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 04/09/13 at 20:39:24

Qwapy wrote on 04/09/13 at 20:32:24:
We were able to isolate the problem:
•      It was not the battery
•      Nor the stator
•      Nor the rectifier

It is a short on the tail light (that we had just replaced earlier).

When we connected the battery the bike still had no power so, we checked the fuses and one of them was blown. Put a new fuse and the bike started right away, no problem. Still, something must have blown that fuse, correct?
We checked the lights, turning signals, horn, etc, etc and everything seems to be in order. We pressed the brake pedal and Viola! The fuse popped.  

We started to trace back what we had done earlier in the day

We had replaced the stock tail light for a cat’s eye tail light (see picture).

When we were installing the new tail light we noticed that the new tail light only had two cables instead of three cables like the stock light (light, brake light, and ground). So we swapped the light bulb socket from the stock light for the new tail light. We tested and it worked fine, we were still using the original cables and connectors. Everything worked: lights, brake lights, etc. So, I returned home via the HW and that’s was the story I was telling when I started this discussion.

We have not been able to find where the short is occurring, every time we press the brake or step on the pedal, the fuse pops. Now, I was able to ride until I got in the HW with no problem (I used the brake a few times here and there) the problem started when I was exiting the HW and the lights deemed and then the bike died (now, we know why it died, the fuse)

We are baffled; we are using the original light bulb socket with the original three cable connections, why the fuse gets blown?

You are gonna have to trace all the wiring for the brake portion of the light back to the switch to see where the insulation is rubbed off and making contact with a frame ground.  My guess is it's most likely gonna be through one of the grommets on the fender or under the fender where it goes through the tunnels there for the wiring. Finding shorts is the fun part of electrical work on any vehicle whether it be the small electrical system on the Savage or the big electrical system on a modern day 18 wheeler.

Sometimes it's just easier to replace the wire all the way from the switch to the light itself then to try and trace it all they way through the harnesses and various tunnels and grommets they pass through.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 04/10/13 at 05:25:00

Qwapy,
Just a suggestion. Before you start tracing wires all the way back to the brake lite switch take a real carefull look at everything you did to the light assy. you installed. Whenever an unexpected problem suddenly crops up after a modification of any kind the first thing I'm suspicious of is the mod itself. Take a peek at anything you touched when installing the new light. Might save some time.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #11 - 04/10/13 at 05:36:43

OldNSlow, long time not see  Smiley How are you?

The 'only' part we touched was the cable that goes from the tail light (stock) to the harness, we disconnected it to install it on the new tail light because the new tail light(cat's eye) only had two cables instead of three, that was it, we did not touch anything else pass the connector in the harness. We are using the stock socket and the stock cables still

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 04/10/13 at 06:40:06

Qwapy wrote on 04/10/13 at 05:36:43:
OldNSlow, long time not see  Smiley How are you?

The 'only' part we touched was the cable that goes from the tail light (stock) to the harness, we disconnected it to install it on the new tail light because the new tail light(cat's eye) only had two cables instead of three, that was it, we did not touch anything else pass the connector in the harness. We are using the stock socket and the stock cables still

I'm doing fine. Just waiting for some warm weather Smiley

Is the housing for your new light metal or plastic.? If it's steel I'd check to make sure you didn't pinch a wire when you swapped the socket from the stock light assembly.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #13 - 04/10/13 at 06:52:59

It is metal. My son did the install, he is an electrician. He even checked to ensure that the metal casing for the new tail light was no the ground for the installation since it only had 2 cables. But, it was not, hence we used the original wiring and socket. I wish that some of the other members of the forum that had installed this type of tail light can provide an schematic or drawing of the installation they did.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Bike died, fuse pops when brake is pressed
Reply #14 - 04/10/13 at 07:22:36

From your discription of the problem it sounds like your new housing is grounding to your frame somehow, be it the mount bolts or the light fixture to the housing.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:33:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike died, fuse pops when brake is pressed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.