Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the most likely time (Read 255 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: What is the most likely time
Reply #15 - 04/03/13 at 20:22:00

verslagen1 wrote on 04/03/13 at 20:07:12:
What is the most likely time for me to drop it?

I had just lit up the '88 for the 1st time on a saturday morning and shut it off to a resounding boom... I grinned, I chuckled... then the neighbors came out one by one looking up and down the street... I laughed so hard I nearly lost my balance and pulled the '88 on top of me.

I declare Versy the winner of this round  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/03/13 at 20:27:38

never trust a kickstand! Kickstand down, pull in clutch lever, slide bike backwards on kickstand 6", & now you know it's all the way forward.

Most likely for me to crash?  Turn 1 or turn 11 at Carolina Motorsports park. Turn 9 at Little Talledega. Or turn 8 at Jennings. Otherwise, I'm pretty solid. All of those turns are at the end of straights with big speed, where you brake hard, get 3 downshifts from 6th, & are relatively slow turns. Going so fast, you can easily get "sucked in" to the slower turns, and overshoot them. I've seen plenty of people toss it in 11 at CMP, especially. Ironically, those are all a few of my favorite turns, as well.

IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #17 - 04/04/13 at 02:04:20

I've dropped mine twice so far. Once trying to turn on slick mud in my sorry excuse for a driveway, and the other time trying to load her on a trailer.

My favorite is on one of my other bikes. I had just finished washing it, and started her up to go park it. Thought I heard something funny so I hopped off to see if I could find it. I swear I don't remember putting the kickstand up!!!   Grin

I used to own a Spyder. Lots of interested folks at gas stops. One gent admitted he was thinking about trading in his HD Ultra, and asked what I liked best about the Spyder. "Well, I ain't dropped it at a stop sign yet!"  For some reason his wife seemed to think that was the funniest thing she'd ever heard... Roll Eyes

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 04/04/13 at 04:12:10

Well I haven't dropped a bike since I was a teen on a dirt bike back in the early 80's..............that being said I'll probably drop it next time out LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/04/13 at 07:04:04

I've done a good deal of dropping in my time.  Most likely situation is at a stop on asphalt with lots of sand and small gravel, especially if it is a downhill situation.  I've dropped the S40 twice with little damage except for the rear turn signal.  Luckily with all the Ryca and bobber projects going on replacements have been plentiful and cheap.

With age they tell me the garage becomes a likely place.  A neighbor sold his Goldwing because of that and now has a fairly large Suzuki cruiser but after a recurring cancer he has dropped that twice and is waiting to find a bargain on a CanAm Spyder.  He is past the age when most people give it up so he is doing really well.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 04/04/13 at 17:10:57

Years ago I got it into my head that I could maintain control of my wifes little 50 cc Suzuki step through with the front wheel locked up. I took it to a field of wet grass, ran it up to about 20 mph, and locked up the front wheel. I slid for maybe 20 feet and down I went.
Now comes the embarrassing part- I thought to myself "you almost had it" and I tried again- at 30 mph. That time it hurt. Embarrassed

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 04/04/13 at 17:51:28

No one can control a bike with the front wheel locked up unless all weight is off of it like during a wheelie.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 04/04/13 at 17:55:16

Dave wrote on 04/03/13 at 13:41:43:
Moving it around in the garage.

Yup, when I'm trying to turn the bike towards me and it cuts me off and all the weight ends up on the wrong side of the bike. Hate when that happens. Sportbikes are the worst. So tall with such a high center of gravity. Once they start to go over it's pretty much all she wrote.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #23 - 04/04/13 at 17:58:15

Luckily I haven't dumped my Savage yet, but a few years ago I dumped my 92 750 nighthawk. As I jumped off the bike to open the garage door  my boot hung up on the sissy bar just enough to roll it forward and fold up the kick stand. I barely got out of the way. Broke the clutch lever Sad

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 04/04/13 at 20:10:26

Dropped a Kawasaki H1 and fell backwards on top of it...in town...in front of a store...in front of my girlfriend and her mother...who let her daughter ride with me many times. 40 years ago.

Dropped this one, or nearly dropped it because of slick boots. I now have cleats. But I have dropped it once and come close because of not having it in "park" and covering the front brake.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #25 - 04/06/13 at 09:10:37

After having stopped at a poorly viewed intersection, I look to my left, my right, repeat, then start to nose her out when I see a car quickly approaching and I have to abort the maneuver......I'm in a very weird zone with parts of my body acting according to its needs and now they all must stop and do something else. At such a slow speed balance (with feet already pegged) quickly becomes an issue as well as stopping and clutching. I've yet to drop one, but I've scored high on looking like a fool a few times when needed to pull this off.....so far the weight, or lack off, with a Honda Rebel and the Savage has saved me from going past the angle of no return  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 04/06/13 at 09:21:23

I have only dropped one or two bikes in my life and alcohol was probably involved.. But I am getting old and my balance is not what it once was so I have to be careful.

A few years ago a buddy of mine was riding a sportster along a country road. He got in some loose gravel in a curve and laid it down in a honeysuckle thicket.

He didn't know it but there was an electric fence hidden by all the foliage. Every time he grabbed the handle bars to pick it up it shocked the crap out of him. He told us he grabbed it four or five times before he figured it out.

His biggest mistake was telling us. Grin

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:32:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is the most likely time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.