stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Valve Check
04/01/13 at 22:47:17

I got my valves checked at the stealership at ~600 miles after break-in about a year ago as per the manual. I am coming up on ~2000 miles and she's running great.  Manual says check valve clearance at 4000 miles/12 months.  Do I really need to worry with the valve check at 12 months or keep on until I hit 4000 miles?

I don't hear any knocking or clanking, only the faint electrical sounding tick, tick, tick, tick if you put your head close enough to the engine which I understand to be normal, right?  Otherwise, if she were having valve clearance issues I imagine I would hear some really noticeable TING, TING, TING, TING....right?

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve Check
Reply #1 - 04/02/13 at 02:53:46

While I would adhere to an oil change at 12 month minimum intervals to keep corrosion at bay (regardless of mileage), the valve clearances really don't care how much time passes.  The valves and rockers and cam are more dependant on mileage......

If you dealer is a stickler for details and you have any concerns about warranty issues and denial of coverage based on a time lapse between valve adjustments....then maybe you should go.  If you are out of warranty and on your own......wait for the valve clearance check until you reach the recommended mileage.  And learn to do that procedure yourself and save some bucks!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/02/13 at 07:10:34

Valves dont get out of adjustment sitting. Only wear changes it.
The adjusters are pointed bolts, basically. When new, the ends are just plaino metal, but, as time goes by & the rounded ends have banged into valves Over and Over & Over, they mash down a bit & as they get mashed, surface area making contact increases AND the metal work hardens, so, by about 12,000 miles, the adjusters really slow down on how they change, so, valves slow down on how often they need adjusted.
Now, IF a seat should happen to have not been fully inserted into the head at the factory & it slowly move completely into position, then your valve adjustment will close down & Could cause a problem,

Checking the clearance is nothing, anyone can do that, just do it w/ engine cold. Adjusting it if its not in spec? Anyopne can do that too, but IM not explaining it here right now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/02/13 at 07:15:52

stewmills wrote on 04/01/13 at 22:47:17:
I don't hear any knocking or clanking, only the faint electrical sounding tick, tick, tick, tick if you put your head close enough to the engine which I understand to be normal, right?  

Right, you've just done the official stealership valve check.  Charge yourself $200 and be happy.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/02/13 at 07:19:07

Verslagen is not kidding, if it says "check the valves" it does NOT mean adjust the valves.

And the assholes really do charge you the official book rate for bending over and listening for 4 seconds ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 12:45:07

Is that right that some pinging is normal but knocking is not?

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 12:56:31

I got the 5 year warranty and am really starting to regret it. I get the bad feeling that I paid $600 for the priviledge of being obligated to the dealership for an extra $320 every 4-6 months. Wife is gonna be pissed but it is probably much, much cheaper to abandon the warranty to save myself about $4,000 over the next 5 years.  Angry Embarrassed  Shocked  Sad

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 13:13:43

Arnold wrote on 04/02/13 at 12:45:07:
Is that right that some pinging is normal but knocking is not?

What is refered to as pinging or knocking is not normal.

especially with a savage.

pinging or knocking is generally said to be pre ignition usually found on high compression engines using regular.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 13:44:56

Dane Allen wrote on 04/02/13 at 12:56:31:
I got the 5 year warranty and am really starting to regret it. I get the bad feeling that I paid $600 for the priviledge of being obligated to the dealership for an extra $320 every 4-6 months. Wife is gonna be pissed but it is probably much, much cheaper to abandon the warranty to save myself about $4,000 over the next 5 years.  Angry Embarrassed  Shocked  Sad

If they want to contest it, they can say the air passed thru the bike was wrong.

keep your receipts, make yourself a log book and deligently record your maitenance.  Not any different issue than with cars.  pictures of the mileage and with the oil filter cover off should be conclusive evidence.  And the nail in the coffin would be bagged and tagged used parts.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 13:55:08

verslagen1 wrote on 04/02/13 at 13:44:56:
Dane Allen wrote on 04/02/13 at 12:56:31:

If they want to contest it, they can say the air passed thru the bike was wrong.

keep your receipts, make yourself a log book and deligently record your maitenance.  Not any different issue than with cars.  pictures of the mileage and with the oil filter cover off should be conclusive evidence.  And the nail in the coffin would be bagged and tagged used parts.

Ok, great, thanks!! I will probably have to dealership shop when it comes time, if ever, for a warranty repair.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 04/02/13 at 15:42:46

Thanks all.  Sounds like I am on the right track...just keep riding and worry with it when I hit the mileage.

I have changed the oil twice (first when I bough it as a barn find with 400 miles as it sat for 4 years, and again at ~1000 miles just to make sure anything stuck up in there from sitting so long had cleaned its way out).

So far, so good...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.