Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Powder coat instead of paint (Read 272 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Powder coat instead of paint
03/28/13 at 13:51:46

When the bike gets completed, it will be time for paint. I did some searching and think I want to powder coat my tank, fenders, and side pieces. Most stuff talks about the frame or small parts. Does anyone see an issue with powder coating instead of painting? I am thinking it should hold up better than paint as far as chips and strapping stuff to the rear fender.

Oh, BTW, it won't be a DYI thing. I will pay either a body shop or my local powder coat company.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Powder coat instead of paint
Reply #1 - 03/28/13 at 14:52:46

powder coating if done right is much more durable then paint for sure. The only issue is you don't have as many color choices as you do with paint. They are getting alot better with more colors but still it's limited.  Also for powder coating the parts they have to be able to withstand the heat of the process so any plastic parts are a no go for powder coating.

I for one say go for it on your sheet metal parts, meaning the tank and fenders, as I have thought about doing so myself instead of painting.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 16:07:21

I agree that powder coating would be more durable than paint. I was going to do that to my tins. There's only a handfull of shops in my area that do powder coating. Because there isn't alot of competition their prices were too rich for me. I say if you can afford it, go for it. It makes a really nice finish on a scoot...

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 16:50:56

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this because I have been out of the industry for many years and things change but powder coat doesn't have all the finishing options that paint does.  If you want a really incredible paint job with lots of depth, metal flake, what have you, powder coat can't do it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 17:08:40

It can now, and you can get it blended to match just about any paint shade you want. There's a guy on another forum I frequent who does multi shade powder jobs, cleaner than taped off enamels or lacquers.

Talk to a bike specific powdercoater. If the shop near you does mainly industrial jobs, find someone else.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #5 - 03/30/13 at 18:10:11

There is a powder coating shop near me here in Vermont...had them powder a BMW frame for a restoration I did a couple of years ago...cost $495.00 Shocked but it was what the customer wanted.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 03/31/13 at 04:31:38

I haven't got a quote yet. I am waiting until I catch up on some bills. I may poop my pants when I get hit with the price and it just won't matter.  Roll Eyes

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #7 - 04/01/13 at 07:25:45

I talked to a local powder coater about doing mine, he told me that items like frames and small irregular pieces come out really nice and are much more durable than regular paint, however, he didn't recommend doing the tank, fender or sidecovers. He claimed the parts with larger smooth surfaces are difficult to get a finish that come even close to paint and clear coat. He also wanted $300 to do the frame and $150 for the swingarm. Too rich for me. Also as was mentioned before, paint has more options fix dings and scratches if it does get damaged. Good luck. Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/01/13 at 07:41:49

I have used Powder coating for some things and it works well - I have never done a tank or other large surface.  I did have an entire 18' long trailer powder coated when the local company had an oven that big.

The one problem I have with powder coating is that it does not fill seams or gaps well.  When you buy factory trailer wheels that have been powdercoated they soon rust where the inner piece and the outer piece are mated - the powder does not fill the seam.  I even had this problem on steel wheels that the local fellow powder coated.  This has also been a problem on some pipe supprt brackets that we had manufactured and powder coated.

IMG_0548.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 04/01/13 at 08:47:14

Dave wrote on 04/01/13 at 07:41:49:
I have used Powder coating for some things and it works well - I have never done a tank or other large surface.  I did have an entire 18' long trailer powder coated when the local company had an oven that big.

The one problem I have with powder coating is that it does not fill seams or gaps well.  When you buy factory trailer wheels that have been powdercoated they soon rust where the inner piece and the outer piece are mated - the powder does not fill the seam.  I even had this problem on steel wheels that the local fellow powder coated.  This has also been a problem on some pipe supprt brackets that we had manufactured and powder coated.

That problem is solved with some pre-prep work. Very few power coaters offer this service so it's upto the customer to do this themselves.

On those rims that came as spot welded in just key area's I would have done full welds all the way around and then finish ground them to make it look good before getting them powder coated.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/01/13 at 09:48:27

The powder wont stick to filler....I just got to thinking that there is a right way to use filler and most painters I know always skim the surface before primer to make sure everything is laser straight.  Since the first step of powder coating is usually blasting won't there be a possibility of minor surface waves/imperfections that need the skim coat. I would think especially with the darker colors you would maybe need some filler work to make sure everything is perfect....

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 04/01/13 at 09:50:54

that's why I said weld up the seams then grind/sand to get it looking good

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/01/13 at 09:53:23

Simple problem, simple solution. Body solder or brass. Eastwood should still carry/sell body solder and the tools and flux to work it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/01/13 at 09:59:41

WD wrote on 04/01/13 at 09:53:23:
Simple problem, simple solution. Body solder or brass. Eastwood should still carry/sell body solder and the tools and flux to work it.

that works to. Plus it's alot easier to work with then hard welds.

R.F.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/01/13 at 19:32:06

I can't say that wont work.... But my trepidation comes from an experience where I had a wire shelving unit fall apart in the oven when the shop baked it.  The powdercoater said after he saw what happened he inspected the part he realized it wasn't welded together but soldered and that is why it fell apart.

Again I don't claim to have any great expertise on this, just throwing out something that happened to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Powder coat instead of paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.