Greetings- New Rider (Read 154 times)
pebble
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greetings- New Rider
03/15/13 at 11:19:21

Hi everyone!

I bought my first motorcycle last week- a Suzuki S40. I took the MSC last August but hadn't ridden since then. Riding on a street is VERY different that riding in a parking lot, LOL!  My first ride was a little scary, but I was a lot more comfortable on the second one. My boyfriend is chasing me around on a 50 cc scooter since he doesn't currently have a bike. Cheesy

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Greetings- New Rider
Reply #1 - 03/15/13 at 11:43:31

Welcome! And I would love to see a picture of "the chase".  Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 03/15/13 at 11:58:01

Welcome!

It does get easier. For me the "happy place" came after a nice 1 hour ride in a park at a steady 50MPH. After that, toodling about at 30 - 45 seemed like cake.

IP Logged
pebble
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/15/13 at 13:31:53

We're putting a windshield on so I won't feel like I'm getting blown off of the bike- right now at 45 mph, I feel like I'm hanging on pretty tight! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/15/13 at 15:42:38

Welcome Pebble!   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 03/15/13 at 16:42:41

Pebble, I'm really new as well. I started riding at 58 because I live on an island and have to take a ferry. Motorcycles get all sorts of considerations cars don't, like a reduced fare and and advanced loading/off loading, without waiting in line. During the summer months, I might be 2 hours, just waiting in line, if I drove my truck,  to get home from work  Angry

I took the class too, made me feel a lot better about riding, wiser. I started with a Rebel 250, a very forgiving bike, but very limited too. Come August, I think, I'll have my S40 a year. What I can share with you is stay relaxed, don't over grip, in will cause over steering and fatigue, you need your reflexes loose and ready to engage. Stay well within your ability, and you decide what that is, not what someone else tells you are capable of. Watch the turns and corners, you don't want to have to make adjustments while navigating them as it adds a whole other element to successfully complete the maneuver. Look down your path of expected travel, not down in front of your bike, that will cause you to tighten up to....relax, relax, relax, bikes will run themselves as long as we keep it pointed in the right direction, and of course, enjoy it, breath deep of the fresh air, and the brisk wind as it buffets your body.
Right now I'm still on my winter suit, full helmet w/ full face shield, and a full windshield....just as soon as it stays above 50, off they come, and just a windbreaker (well maybe a layer on those cold mornings) I love the feeling and openness, almost like flying...
Soon you won't even notice/feel the cracks in the road or the gust of wind, I promise, but....always stay alert, always, be ready to act.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 03/15/13 at 20:06:13

Welcome Pebble! Make yourself at home here,but be forewarned.....this bunch can grow on you Wink. It's a true online community that helps each other where we can. We even get together for riding trips and such. If you need advice with repairs just shout cause someone in the group will step up.

Speaking of which,the windshield is a good idea on the Savage. I think it's just the upright "cruiser" position. I don't notice the wind as much on my '80 Kawasaki KZ440 that does not have a shield but I do lean forward more on that bike.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/15/13 at 22:18:11

Hi Pebble,
Welcome to SS.com...
Riding with a moped tagging you,.. is probably a good way to learn...
Grin...
Baby steps...
It never hurts to underestimate, while you are beginning...
Your BF is doing a good job... Wink...

Ride safe,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 03/15/13 at 23:23:47

Welcome Pebble, May I recommend a Spitfire S-06 windshield? Less than $100 and mounts in minutes with no tools. But you will probably want to cut a little off the pencil sized round mounts. Otherwise they may touch the tank. Also, be aware that we have 1" diameter handle bars, so keep that in mind when buying whatever you choose. Practice watching drivers and you will get good at predicting danger before you need to take emergency measures. Happy riding. Boofer  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 03/18/13 at 10:23:15

Ah didnt realize we were giving advice...

My only very small tidibit:

"learn" to relax and sit back in the seat. REALLY, if I am not careful I tend to lean/prop on the handlebar with my left arm and become very ridgid to the handle bar. This does bad things... one your motion is not fluid and your "steering the handlebar" versus "steering the bike". Two, it wears you out physically and mentally esp the elbow. Once I relax and let my body work with the bike, the left arm is just along for the ride ( and safty for bumps). Steering is done with my legs and body, my mind thinks of where to go... the bike just follows my mind, not sure what "steering" means at that point. darn.. I am ready to go riding now!

IP Logged
pebble
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/19/13 at 13:31:32

Thanks everyone. I rode by myself today, long enough to run myself out of gas. Luckily, I had cell coverage and my boyfriend told me that my bike has a 'reserve' setting, so I put-putted a couple of miles more and got gas.  Grin

The windshield REALLY helps! Especially over 50 mph.  Shocked

IP Logged
pebble
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/19/13 at 13:32:14

Oh, and I waved at two other riders. One waved back.  Cheesy

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 03/19/13 at 16:10:49

pebble wrote on 03/19/13 at 13:32:14:
Oh, and I waved at two other riders. One waved back.  Cheesy

WHAT......?????

You ain't allowed to wave yet. You MUST keep both hands on the bar at all times, that includes putting the key in the ignition and turning it to on too!

Your BF should be told of this so it won't happen again, or he should get more CC's and stay with you, yes!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/20/13 at 08:19:09

Take your time, relax and enjoy. Welcome to the asylum...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87