Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick........ (Read 208 times)
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick........
03/13/13 at 11:18:34

been riding ~100 a day for the last month or so no problems and i cranked up my bike today to hear a loud knocking sound coming from the top end. pulled my right side cover off to check the cam chain. went ahead and did a tensioner mod to tightn it up alil bit. it wasnt really that loose though. (bike has 15k miles). cranked it back up and still knocking.
im thinking the timing was a wee bit off on my last rebuild and bent the exhaust valves?? i was gettn some shotgun backfires every now n then and when i pulled my exhaust off there was white everywhere, but then again dont all stock savage motors with after market exhaust backfire?
idk what do u think?
new cam chain and valves?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.......
Reply #1 - 03/13/13 at 15:29:28

Chad, what weight of oil do you use and were is it in the oil window?

When did you last adjust your valves?

When did you last adjust your decomp solenoid?

You mention a rebuild, did you take great care to get the cam sprocket back on with the timing chain in the correct orientation?  

Clue, if this was wrong the bike would run like shite.

How long has it been since this rebuild?   If you blocked off an oil passage to the cam journal bearings with a gasket or some sealant it could take a week or so for the hard knocking from the cam area to start.

You need to tell us what has gone on recently with your engine.  From reading your last 25 posts you talk a lot like the bike has been down for frame mods -- has it ever really run before now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 07:31:21

i use yamalube 10w40, oil level 1/2 way in sight glass
never adjusted any valves
ran the last 5000miles w no decomp solenoid
motor easily starts without it, will this harm anything?

rebuild 5000miles ago (15k total)
cam sprocket was in perfect condition and i set timing just like the manual said but i think i could have been alittle off maybe cause of the chain being stretched alil i couldnt get the marks the line up EXactly, but dam close. \
i would get a backfire only when i let off the gas at low speed, but has ran great since i had it minus the oil leaks i had when i first bought the bike

later on today im pull the head cover off and check out the valve gap/ condition

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/14/13 at 08:33:27

Question about the decomp shaft return spring, etc.   Check that whatever you removed did not allow the decomp cam to rotate over time, bringing the lift arm up into the ticky ticky on the rocker range.

PS   Yamalube isn't good oil for a Savage, not enough ZDDP in it.  Expect some early tappet & cam wear if you keep on using it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #4 - 03/14/13 at 10:05:23

with the decomp lever down it still has my ticking/knocking sound, when i lift up on it while the motor is running, yes i get a bit of a ticking sound but that not the ticking thats the problem...

IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #5 - 03/14/13 at 11:11:59

pulled the head cover, at TDC both cam lobes facing down correct? well it looks like i need to retard my timing one tooth, it just doesnt make sense i go 5000 miles with no ticks or knocks and one morning i crank it up and it sounds like nuts, never had any problems like this before

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 03/14/13 at 13:03:38

when you rebuilt it, did you put a new cam or valves in, or at least new to your engine cam and valves, or new rockers?

If so most likely you just need to re adjust your valves since you say you haven't done that since the rebuild. The new parts or new to your engine parts wear into place in the first several hundred to few thousand miles of you engine, creating more clearance.  You could just very well be hearing the need of a valve adjustment.

Also if you used new head bolts or head cover bolts those may need a re-torque as well since new ones are normally not pre-stretched.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 03/14/13 at 13:11:28

At top dead center on the compression stroke the lobes should be down towards the oil bath and the stamped line on the cam sprocket should line up with the machined housing.  Remember, you also get a TDC on the other strokes so you got to watch the valves actuate to get the rotor timing alignment right after the intake valves close.

Getting one tooth off can happen RARELY during a backfire event with some looseness in the cam chain adjuster -- really very very rare.

Now that you are in there, check for any wear on the tappet faces and tips of the cam lobes.  Stick your finger into the oil pool and rub the bottom feeling for wear damage swarf and hard trash.   Look at your head bearing journals and look for wear or scuffing.

===========

Now this is reaching a bit, so bear with me.   Your longer set of rocker arms have a high strength bent steel thrust washer on the shaft with the rocker.  If you didn't rebend it or replace it when you did the rebuild your longer set of rockers may not have enough "rebound dampening" to keep them from rattling like a set of clockwork teeth when they reach their uncontrolled portion of their travel.   This can get worse if your engine had a low oil episode and the head got really really hot as the washers can get partially annealed by high heat.  If this happened they will be light blue to dark blue now.

You can check for "easy rattle can motion" by finger when the valves are all closed.

Eliminate as many things as you can before you button it back up.  

Do you see signs that the oil pressure and flow was getting everywhere properly?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.