Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock Issue (Read 1090 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Raptor Petcock Issue
Reply #15 - 03/15/13 at 05:57:00

Correct Raptor is 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM 660R. Part number is 5LP-24500-01-00.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #16 - 03/15/13 at 08:25:54

It looks like I have the wrong petcocks from my supplier.....they are going back.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 03/15/13 at 10:21:46

Super Thumper wrote on 03/14/13 at 18:50:07:
I do have a genuine Suzuki Raptor 660 petcock to compare and will report the results this weekend along with pics. If it rurns pouyt the fuel outlets are indeed smaller on my aftermarket Raptor 660 petcocks they are going back! Thanks for the info.

ST,...
It's a Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock.. you are looking for...

The batch you are selling is for a 250/350 Yamaha Raptor...
They are too small on the outlet, and too short to clear the tank...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #18 - 03/16/13 at 13:50:48

I have in my possession a NEW Yamaha YFM660 Raptor petcock part # 55X-24000-02 that I bought from an ebay seller a few months ago. After calling the Yamaha dealer it turns out the so-called Raptor 660 petcock I got from ebay is actually for a Raptor 80. I include a pic here to compare the one I got from ebay and the one I got from my wholesale supplier. Except for the plastic tube versus the brass one they are identical yet BOTH the ebay seller and my wholesale supplier say these petcocks are for a Raptor 660. BEWARE!! The fuel outlet as described by the other responders is accurate. The correct Yamaha part number for a Yamaha YFM660 Raptor is 5LP-24500-01-00.
I confirmed this with the Yamaha dealer over the phone. It has the larger 5/16" diameter fuel outlet and will work on the Suzuki Savage. Thought the other petcocks look edientical the fuel outlet is smaller (1/4" ) and may work until you do some get low on fuel OR use the throttle heavilly requiring more fuel. Since I have one of the smaller petcocks from the ebay seller I intend to try it out on the road (I can't send it back, it's been too long) I'm curious to see how it works.

Raptor_Petcocks_Comp1.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #19 - 03/16/13 at 13:56:04

I want to thank all the folks who brought the Raptor petckock to our attention...it has saved me much embarrasment (and refunds) and I am sure it has helped others to beware of the sellers on ebay especially who are selling the smaller ones. MOST of the sellers do NOT mention the fuel outlet size or in most cases the Yamaha part number and this is where I got caught buying the wrong one.

Once again....THANKS to all Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 03/17/13 at 07:01:26

Super Thumper wrote on 03/16/13 at 13:50:48:
I have in my possession a NEW Yamaha YFM660 Raptor petcock part # 55X-24000-02 that I bought from an ebay seller a few months ago. After calling the Yamaha dealer it turns out the so-called Raptor 660 petcock I got from ebay is actually for a Raptor 80. I include a pic here to compare the one I got from ebay and the one I got from my wholesale supplier. Except for the plastic tube versus the brass one they are identical yet BOTH the ebay seller and my wholesale supplier say these petcocks are for a Raptor 660. BEWARE!! The fuel outlet as described by the other responders is accurate. The correct Yamaha part number for a Yamaha YFM660 Raptor is 5LP-24500-01-00.
I confirmed this with the Yamaha dealer over the phone. It has the larger 5/16" diameter fuel outlet and will work on the Suzuki Savage. Thought the other petcocks look edientical the fuel outlet is smaller (1/4" ) and may work until you do some get low on fuel OR use the throttle heavilly requiring more fuel. Since I have one of the smaller petcocks from the ebay seller I intend to try it out on the road (I can't send it back, it's been too long) I'm curious to see how it works.

Hmmmmm .....  "Except for the plastic tube versus the brass one they are identical".

Not really all that identical, now are they?   One of them has more of the extended shank that will help it fit past the weld up flange on the gas tank and only one would provide some of the room between tank flange and knob for glove covered fingers to turn the tap easily come winter time.

Neither of the petcocks shown in the picture above are a true stock Yamaha 660 petcock.   Neither have the full length shank the real one has.

The real Yamaha 660 petcock looks like this.

Never pay attention to what a ebay vendor says something is, they either don't know what the differences are or they are making wide latitude assumptions about "interchangeability".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #21 - 03/17/13 at 10:11:03

Thanks for all the info and the great pics. I am sending all my newly purchased petcocks back to my wholesale supplier and will get the correct ones this time. No matter how old I get I find I still learn something new every day. Thanks for all the help Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 03/18/13 at 06:03:24

OK.....I have been overthinking this a bit.....but it is what I do while driving or doing other mindless chores.

I doubt that the biggest restriction in the fuel system is the outlet tube of the petcock.  When I did the "Chaptor on th Raptor" post that is located in the Technical Section.....I found that the Raptor Petcock flowed far more fuel that the Savage can use at full throttle when the tank is full. I also learned that as the fuel drops and gets nearer to the top on the inlet tube.....flow drops dramatically.  When you only have a bit of fuel above the inlet pipe there is very little fuel pressure (weight of fuel) above the pipe and the inlet screen is only partially submerged......with any petcock the full throttle fuel flow will not be available.

It may well be that the outlet pipe size (for original equipment) was more a function of the inlet pipe on the carb than fuel flow is.  I suspect the biggest restriction in the petcock is the internal valve parts and the size of the holes in the  rubber disc that sits betwen the valve handle and body.  I believe that these holes are smaller that the inlet or outlet pipes.......I also suspect that the biggest restrictiion in the entire system is probably the flow through the needle and seat in the carb.

I have the folliowing factory Yamaha OEMpetcocks to measure:

660 Raptor, Part Number 5LP-24500-01-00
350R Raptor, 350X Wolverine, XVS650, Part Number 21V-24500-11-00
YFM 50 & 80 Raptor, Part Number 55X-24500-02-00

While I suspect the 350 Raptor petcock ...which also fits the XVS650 will flow just as well as the 660 Raptor one....it does have the short stem and will interfere with the bottom lip of the Savage Tank.  I bought this petcock to work with my GT550 tank converrsion where I don't need the long stem.  If it flows enough fuel for the XVS 650.....I suspect it will flow enough for the Savage.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 03/18/13 at 06:56:55

Dave, remember that Charon's tests had to do with refill rates from an empty fuel filter and empty fuel lines, the recovery period where air was flowing up the lines at the same time the trickle of fuel was flowing down.   His discovery was that when the lines and fuel filter were full of air, recover to a full state was very slow.

During recovery, the flow volume of air going up the lines must be equal volume to the fuel going down and the line and fuel filter is a "two way street passing only 1/2 fuel volume" until the volume above the float needle is all solid fuel again.   The volume of air that must vent up through the lines and the petcock nipple includes the line volume and the fuel filter volume.

While a quarter inch line/nipple may not be the restriction point of the entire system (I agree the float bowl/valve is) the recovery time is about doubled by using quarter inch hose/nipples.   5/16 is a better hose size as it recovers almost twice as fast as 1/4.   3/8" hose is better yet as it recovers fastest of all.  

Remember, during the recovery period (the half fuel flow period) the 1/4" line could barely supply the float valve at normal low throttle.   This is part of the reason people report such cobby running after a low bowl episode caused by the vac petcock.

Once the bowl is full and the fuel flow is sold fuel, all hoses and nipples can work OK for a stock engine, but since the vac petcock keeps running the bowl low and keeps putting air in the fuel filter and lines once again you are in a constant recovery state and the small hose size struggles to keep up or to make up the air volumes with the recovery two way flow.

End moral of the story was to get rid of your vac petcock and stay with 5/16 or larger hose sizes if you wanted to feed a high performance engine with no air in line hiccups.

Using this thinking, raptoring with a 1/4 nipple petcock kinda half defeats the purpose of raptorizing in the first place.   When you raptor, you are seeking improved fuel flow to keep the bowl full at all times as you feed an engine that can demand half again more fuel flow at full throttle compared to a stock engine.

Intentionally selling a limited raptor that cannot properly support a modded engine is something a hop up shop shouldn't do.   Especially when you sell ported heads and other hop up stuff and your name is SuperThumper.  That kinda clashes a bit with the name, don't you think?

The guys that designed the OEM carburetor put the 5/16 nipple on it for flow reasons, putting anything smaller than that upstream is putting a restriction on the entire system flow (which is why the oem petcock matched the inlet on the carb and why we matched it with the Raptor sizing).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 03/18/13 at 07:27:28

OF:

I had not considered the hose/air bibble/fuelfilter relationship in the system.  I certainly can see how a smaller nipple/hose size could make that condition worse.  Escpecially when you look at how thick some of the nipples in the plastic fittings can be - and even on the petcocks the nipples can be a thin drawn tubing or a machined brass nipple that has much less of an ID for rhe same sized OD.  

We have a sink drain here at the office that reminds me everyday how trapped air can ruin flow.  When you are rinsing the dishes the water barely drains out the sink......the when you think nothinng is going to happen a few bubbles come up through the drain and the flow suddenly begins and the sink drains.  It is a small "bar" type sink and the strainer and basket are very restrictive and it traps air just beneath the sink.....there is not enough water flow to push the bubble down and too much flow to let the bubble come up through the incoming water.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #25 - 03/18/13 at 07:37:53

air was flowing up the lines at the same time the trickle of fuel was flowing down.

OF
Question. What role do the two carb vent lines play? Is not the bowl vented to prevent just this problem?

Thanks and good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/18/13 at 07:47:22

Blinky-FSO wrote on 03/18/13 at 07:37:53:
air was flowing up the lines at the same time the trickle of fuel was flowing down.

OF
Question. What role do the two carb vent lines play? Is not the bowl vented to prevent just this problem?

Thanks and good hunting

The problem was that the fuel flow was not rapid enough to push the air bubble down - the air was trying to go up the fuel hose while at the same time fuel is trying to go down.  The air and fuel had trouble pasing by each other in the restrictive areas where the size was reduced in the nipple and fittings.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 03/18/13 at 07:54:53

Blinky, they vent the float bowl.  

The float bowl is AFTER the float needle valve and it plays no part in the venting of the fuel lines and the fuel filter air volume, air which must bubble up through the fuel lines and petcock nipple and then up into the gas tank.

Gravity puts a pool of gas in the drilled passages right over the float needle valve, so air can't move downstream through the needle valve.  Air has to go up, being lighter than gasoline.

We are concerned with this because while this air is moving up these lines only half the fuel flow can move down the lines (the volumes must be equal).

What surprised us all was how durn long this air took to make it's total trip, and how crappy the fuel flow was during this time (not enough to keep the engine going right).   And when the bowl got low and the lines emptied out again, well, the cycle started all over again.

When people report a vac petcock "ran me out of fuel" episode, note that they always report very cobby running for the next 10-20 minutes as they struggle to get home or to a gas station.   That is what this is.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #28 - 03/18/13 at 08:09:17

OF,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now think i understand the issue. You don't have to tell me 12 times; 11 usually does it. Cool

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
RAVAGE-SAVAGE
YaBB Newbies

"Twist a
Thumper
Trottle"

KY.
Reply #29 - 03/25/13 at 08:52:07

This link for the "RIGHT" petcock is ****WRONG**** Got it today...very small outlet. Angry

[/quote]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:37:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.