Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Would using Valvoline oil be ok? (Read 334 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Would using Valvoline oil be ok?
03/09/13 at 16:19:57

I was looking at the recommended oils to use for the Savage.  Valvoline VR1 Racing oil is not mentioned.  (I’m new, but starting to get the hang of the ‘search’ button!).  

According to Valvoline’s customer service, this type of Valvoline oil contains 1400 ppm zinc and 1300 ppm phosphorus.  Wouldn’t this fit the ZDDP requirements for the Savage?  They make: 10w-30, 20w-50, and single viscosities of 30, 40, 50, and 60.

This Valvoline oil is very common where I live and would be my choice, … if it works for the Savage.

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Would using Valvoline oil be ok?
Reply #1 - 03/09/13 at 18:12:16

I'm no expert, but since VR1 is an AUTO oil and the bottle SPECIFICALLY SAYS don't use it in wet clutches...  I'd suggest just sticking with trusty Rotella.  Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 03/09/13 at 20:40:19

Ron I'll go with Lavis on this one. There have been just too many instances of clutch issues with auto type oil in bikes!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 03/10/13 at 01:40:59

That oil is formulated for short-term use in racing auto engines.   Unless you plan to be racing against autos and changing the oil after every race, I'd find something oriented more toward street use in a Savage.

Rotella, either dino or synth, works quite well,.. and,.. at Walmart,,.. is pretty stinkin' cheap.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #4 - 03/10/13 at 17:15:11

I use suzuki oil in mine and have had no issues with it at all.... its what originally came with the bike from the factory, and for around $6 a quart its not that expensive for 100% peace of mind... Ive heard of some people using Motul oil as well with excellent results.  Depending on the climate, id stick with a viscosity of 10w40 but if youre in a warmer climate a thicker viscosity is definitely better, where I live it rarely gets to 90 degrees. Car oil will fry your clutch in no time flat.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/10/13 at 17:48:11

Thanks for the responses... plus I didn't think about the wet clutch issue.

Ron G

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 03/10/13 at 18:15:38

Some time back one of our members (Verslagen, I think) did some temperature testing with various oils. He found that 20W-50 oils cause the engine to run at higher temps than did the 10W-40 oils. These were measured as temperatures above ambient. The higher viscosity oils appear to have higher friction resulting in more losses. Those higher temperatures, to my mind, will cause the heavier oil to "thin" more than lighter oils, so the effect on the engine is higher temperatures and similar oil viscosities at operating temperatures.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #7 - 03/10/13 at 18:29:40

Whatever you use it should be Jaso MA or you will have trouble with the clutch and tappets.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 03/11/13 at 07:37:47

One of the things that always happens in forums like these is that worthwhile subjects keep popping up over time.  The kind of oil to use in this bike is a very worthwhile subject because:
-- The motor can be damaged if the wrong oil is used.
-- A LOT of money can be wasted on uber-expensive oil.
-- Humans simply seem to feel better deep in their heart when they use additives.

So,... oil keeps popping up as a subject.

Another thing that happens in these kinds of forums is that, since they reach many many thousands of folks, most of those folks aren't aware of research and discussions over the past decade or two that deal with their pet worthwhile subject.  For the worthwhile subject of LS650/S40 oil:
-- This subject is brought up by a new newbie every few months, unaware of all the previous discussion.
-- This subject has been researched and researched and researched by actual experts,... LS650/S40 experts who are also experts in motor oil.
-- Not only are we fortunate enough here to have these experts that have done this research, these experts (in real time) are keeping the rest of us advised when something changes that affects the oil we use in our bikes.  This is VERY unusual, and really an advantage to folks like me who would never bother to stay on top of situations like the way formulations of oil are changing.

That said, there is simply no point in trying to find an oil better than the Rotella commonly available at Walmart.  There is not any oil that will work better,.. some others might work as well, but not better,..... and there is not any acceptable oil that is cheaper.

To make that situation even better, our LS650/S40 experts (fully knowledgeable of the ZDDP issue) have that situation all figured out for us as well, should we choose to want to increase zinc levels, so to speak.

Anyway, there is just not much point in spending any energy trying to figure out what oil to use.  That issue is fully handled,.. and much to our advantage since the outcome of that issue is probably the lowest cost outcome we could have hoped for.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/11/13 at 08:06:13

Well Said Gyrobob.

I am a recent convert to the Rotella.....and a skeptical one.  Lots of other forums praised the Rottella, and did so without any supporting data.  It was not until I was shown the facts on this forum that I became convinced that Rotella T was the best oil for the Savage.

There really isn't any reason to look around for other oils.  Rotella is affordable, it is easily found locally to anywhere, and it provides the Savage with everything it needs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/11/13 at 08:20:02

Every Walmart and truck stop in North America should have it on the shelf. In a pinch and can't find it on a road trip? Delo and Delvac are acceptable for top off and most gas stations carry at least one of them.

I've been an on again off again truck driver for 14 years. Those 3 oils flat out work.  10K mile service life in on-road big rigs is common, in a Savage they are normally/nominally a change once a year deal.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/13/13 at 07:28:51

Gyrobob wrote on 03/11/13 at 07:37:47:
One of the things that always happens in forums like these is that worthwhile subjects keep popping up over time.  The kind of oil to use in this bike is a very worthwhile subject because:
-- The motor can be damaged if the wrong oil is used.
-- A LOT of money can be wasted on uber-expensive oil.
-- Humans simply seem to feel better deep in their heart when they use additives.

So,... oil keeps popping up as a subject.

Another thing that happens in these kinds of forums is that, since they reach many many thousands of folks, most of those folks aren't aware of research and discussions over the past decade or two that deal with their pet worthwhile subject.  For the worthwhile subject of LS650/S40 oil:
-- This subject is brought up by a new newbie every few months, unaware of all the previous discussion.
-- This subject has been researched and researched and researched by actual experts,... LS650/S40 experts who are also experts in motor oil.
-- Not only are we fortunate enough here to have these experts that have done this research, these experts (in real time) are keeping the rest of us advised when something changes that affects the oil we use in our bikes.  This is VERY unusual, and really an advantage to folks like me who would never bother to stay on top of situations like the way formulations of oil are changing.

That said, there is simply no point in trying to find an oil better than the Rotella commonly available at Walmart.  There is not any oil that will work better,.. some others might work as well, but not better,..... and there is not any acceptable oil that is cheaper.

To make that situation even better, our LS650/S40 experts (fully knowledgeable of the ZDDP issue) have that situation all figured out for us as well, should we choose to want to increase zinc levels, so to speak.

Anyway, there is just not much point in spending any energy trying to figure out what oil to use.  That issue is fully handled,.. and much to our advantage since the outcome of that issue is probably the lowest cost outcome we could have hoped for.

Whew !!! He just asked a simple question,.....I'd bet he doesn't ask another here ! This sermon after he conceeded he didn't think of the wet clutch issue. Give him a break !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/13/13 at 07:47:53

Grin actually its a good post, hopefully people can save themselves money or engine damage by not using the wrong oil.  Of all the various auto forums I have posted to over the years, oil topics are like religion or politics. I don't know why, but some people are oil crazy. All I can do is agree, rotella fits the bill for everything a savage owner needs.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 03/13/13 at 08:34:33

Routy said, "Whew !!! He just asked a simple question,.....I'd bet he doesn't ask another here ! This sermon after he conceeded he didn't think of the wet clutch issue. Give him a break !!"

I feel just the opposite.  If I ask a simple question and someone takes the time to give me a thoughtful, in-depth, answer supporting what I wanted to know, I get a kick out it, rather than getting pissed off.  Getting good answers from informed folks makes me feel even more willing to ask MORE questions, not fewer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/13/13 at 08:54:05

I thot the reply was complete & thotful & nicely done. I was gonna give Gyro a High 5..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 05:15:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would using Valvoline oil be ok?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.