Send Topic Print
Throttle tubes? (Read 198 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Throttle tubes?
03/03/13 at 14:39:21

Does anyone know where I can get my grubby little paws on a throttle tube that will work with the stock controls that has a capped end?  Not capped like as part of a full grip setup; I've already got the grips I want, but they're soft rubber, so I just need a capped tube itself.  

I'm also open to any mods that'll cap an open end tube, but its gotta be strong.

Anyone?  Thanks in advance...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Throttle tubes?
Reply #1 - 03/03/13 at 14:54:32

Smokestack wrote on 03/03/13 at 14:39:21:
Does anyone know where I can get my grubby little paws on a throttle tube that will work with the stock controls that has a capped end?  Not capped like as part of a full grip setup; I've already got the grips I want, but they're soft rubber, so I just need a capped tube itself.  

I'm also open to any mods that'll cap an open end tube, but its gotta be strong.

Anyone?  Thanks in advance...

What is a throttle tube?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #2 - 03/03/13 at 15:21:57

The plastic ( or sometimes aluminum ) tube inside the grip that attaches to the throttle cable inside the control housing. Most come integrated with the right grip in aftermarket sets, but not always, and not with any of the grips that I like.  Once you peel off the stock grip, the tube itself is often hollow all the way through, but I heard that some come capped, so I asked.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/03/13 at 16:49:57

Check the Harley catalogs. J&P, V-Twin Mfg, Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, Jireh, Canyon Run, etc. One of them will have what you are looking for. FWIW... Jireh, Canyon Run, Fog Hollow and similar are just places selling parts from V-Twin Mfg, you can order direct and cut out the middle man mess....

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #4 - 03/06/13 at 15:58:55

WD wrote on 03/03/13 at 16:49:57:
Check the Harley catalogs. J&P, V-Twin Mfg, Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, Jireh, Canyon Run, etc. One of them will have what you are looking for. FWIW... Jireh, Canyon Run, Fog Hollow and similar are just places selling parts from V-Twin Mfg, you can order direct and cut out the middle man mess....

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked out a few; most seemed to be around the same price as the Biltwell whiskey throttle tube, so I'll probably just grab one of those as I know their stuff is top notch quality.

IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 03/06/13 at 16:22:32

I dont think the whiskey throttle tube will work with your stock controls. anything made for a harley is not going to fit and the throttle cable will also not work. I ended up grinding down the grooves on the stock tube to make it smooth and work with aftermarket grips.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/07/13 at 07:43:27

My throttle tube is die cast zinc from roughly 1974. Fits the stock control box just fine. Pretty much any tube for 1" bars will fit the stock control box, even those set up for push-pull dual cables. You just use the pull side. Tubes are generic, all the metric big 4 interchange with HD.

Harley has used Japanese designed parts since the 1970s: Honda shocks, forks and brakes; Toyota/Mitsubishi/Subaru starters; the Evo and Twin Cam are Yamaha, Kawasaki and Toyota collaborations, specifically cylinder head and valve train components; Stanley of Japan lighting components and wiring; Bridgestone/Dunlop of Japan tires (even though the tires say Made in USA, they are Japanese engineered)...

Parts is parts. My Savage has a Kawasaki seat, Harley Shovelhead fender, Harley flat track gas tank with Honda gas valve, USA made handlebars, Chinese (Cheng Shin) rear tire being replaced with a Dunlop of Japan Qualifier cruiser pattern tire, Taiwan Ted (V-Twin Mfg) tail light replacing another Taiwan Ted tail light... Emgo (Taiwan) air filter and oil filter, John Deere fuel line, USA made (Taylor) inline fuel filter...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:35:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle tubes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.