Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Belt drive tensioner. (Read 208 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Belt drive tensioner.
03/02/13 at 13:02:52

My apologies for being such a newb, but the Clymer manual says I need a Special Suzuki tensioner tool to get the belt tension just right. I have tried searching the technical section on this to no avail. Can anyone tell me a way to adjust the belt tension back without the tool ? I really appreciate any help.   Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Belt drive tensioner.
Reply #1 - 03/02/13 at 13:14:57

What you need is the SS.com special belt tensioner tool.
face the bike on the left side, kneel, place the tool (your hand) under the lower belt about in the middle and grip the belt between the tips of your fingers and thumb.  Rotate said belt approximately 90° or to vertical... which ever comes 1st.  Far as I'm concerned, the looser the better, but not to the point that you can pull it off the teeth of the pulley.

Now for the special verslagy belt alignment procedure.
Loosen the axle and the lock nuts on the belt adjusters.
With the bike in neutral, lift the rear off the ground a little so you can spin the tire.
Spin the tire in 1 direction and notice where the belt tracks in the rear pulley.
If it tracks to the right, tighten that side, and vice versa.
Repeat spinning the tire the other way.  

Try to get a compromise.

If you can't then you may have a worn out bearing in the hub, or your drive cushions may be worn.

WWW   IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #2 - 03/02/13 at 14:00:21

Awesome, thanks Vers, worked like a charm. Belt is staying centered.

IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/03/13 at 22:32:18

I just changed my chain back to a belt.

I made sure both of the tensioners on the rear wheel were exactly lined up on the same engraved marker on each side - does this not necessarily  mean it is correctly aligned? Looks like I should check before I ride again Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/04/13 at 05:19:48

Rubber cushions in the rear hub make it impossible to keep it in perfect alignment And ride. The belt is gonna move around. Its okay. It stays on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/04/13 at 07:59:10

verslagen1 wrote on 03/02/13 at 13:14:57:
What you need is the SS.com special belt tensioner tool.
face the bike on the left side, kneel, place the tool (your hand) under the lower belt about in the middle and grip the belt between the tips of your fingers and thumb.  Rotate said belt approximately 90° or to vertical... which ever comes 1st.  Far as I'm concerned, the looser the better, but not to the point that you can pull it off the teeth of the pulley.

Now for the special verslagy belt alignment procedure.
Loosen the axle and the lock nuts on the belt adjusters.
With the bike in neutral, lift the rear off the ground a little so you can spin the tire.
Spin the tire in 1 direction and notice where the belt tracks in the rear pulley.
If it tracks to the right, tighten that side, and vice versa.
Repeat spinning the tire the other way.  

Try to get a compromise.

If you can't then you may have a worn out bearing in the hub, or your drive cushions may be worn.

This ^^^^

I check/adjust the belt on my bike just like Vers described and works good. I found that the tool Suzuki provides gets it tighter than needed and my belt squeaks a lot more.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 03/04/13 at 19:55:37

Dave-Aus wrote on 03/03/13 at 22:32:18:
I just changed my chain back to a belt.

I made sure both of the tensioners on the rear wheel were exactly lined up on the same engraved marker on each side - does this not necessarily  mean it is correctly aligned? Looks like I should check before I ride again Smiley

Dave,

Said marks will get you close, but I don't trust 'em to get me really close unless I've verified that they are correct.

Check this out:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183995917

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 03/07/13 at 15:42:36

[quote author=6F7C6B6A75787E7C7728190 link=1362258172/0#1 date=1362258897]What you need is the SS.com special belt tensioner tool.

Versy, I had to remove my front pulley to fix a vibration recently. I was able to pull it off, straighten it, and put it back and never touch the rear wheel. I'd say mine is just right. (At least for you and me.)

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:28:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt drive tensioner.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.