Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
change? better or worse? (Read 228 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

change? better or worse?
02/26/13 at 18:02:20

I might have an opportunity to move from my current job to a better paying job but more production art oriented job so kind of a copy shop job, where now I do actually do graphic design but it's not high end graphic design so it doesn't and shouldn't pay much more than I'm making now. the new job would pay a bit better but not a life changing amount, but it is a day time job where now I'm working nights and I feel I'm missing out on life a good bit. So overall I feel the new job would be more positive for my life, but maybe not so good for my "career" but my "career" hasn't really gone anywhere anyway. . .  

maybe it's just my innate fear of change. . .  even though I adapt well to on the fly changes at work, big life changing things can kinda freeze my brain and I end up making bad choices sometimes. . .

just talking to myself, to help clear my thoughts before the interview tomorrow morning

my biggest problem is that I let my job define me . . . I need to find a better way

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: change? better or worse?
Reply #1 - 02/26/13 at 19:04:47

Tough decision.  Whatever you do don't look back and ask yourself if you did the right thing because you'll never know how the other option would have turned out anyway.  Good luck.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 02/26/13 at 19:17:33

I thoroughly understand the resistance/fear of change.  I am also very risk averse.

From your post, it sounds like you are thinking that the new job would make for a better life.  I would certainly think that for most people, moving from nights to days would be a really big deal.  It allows you to become part of the "normal" world and widens the opportunity for a social life.  For that reason alone, I would really look hard a making the jump.  If the new job is not as "arty" as the current job, you might be able to pick up some side jobs the satisfy your more creative needs.

That's my 2 cents.  Good luck on your decision.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/26/13 at 20:25:52

Never pass up an opportunity that seeks you out.
go find out what it's about, maybe not what you're thinking.

if this is the beginning of your career, don't be afraid to job hop.
just as long as you stay with a job for a few years to show consistency.
and that you weren't let go for lack of performance.

if a job makes you happy stick with it.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 21:46:24

Working nights will shorten your life considerably. Think of this job as a new start that will affect all aspects of your life for the better.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 02/26/13 at 22:58:05

Art makes a good point,... your life, is more than a career...
There may be social, mental, physical, aspects to this...
In the long run,... your mental and physical, health and well-being, do matter... more than anything...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 02/27/13 at 03:14:28

I would go with the new job.
Better money and a day time schedule = better quality of life generally.
Seek outside avenue's for creative satisfaction, which may eventually lead to the ideal career you want.  It can happen.  It frees you to fully express your artistic gifts while still earning a living and having more quality time with the family & others.
Just my own thoughts ... I would do it.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/27/13 at 05:59:23

Life is meant to be lived, not toiling away in the dark. Get back on days, bring skills from your current & more creative job to this one, impress your new bosses, and look for further opportunities because we are all free agents.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 02/27/13 at 06:29:22

Just to play Devil's advocate, the night job has some benefits as well. Most professional offices are only open during the 9-5 hours so you need to miss work to visit any. You will have more time for riding since daytime riding is preferable to night time riding. If you have kids and they are young, you will actually get to spend more time with them if you work nights. If you are doing more of what you like now, don't change. Working nights allows you to find part time or just hobby work during the day. I have friends who absolutely hate the 9-5 world. They find it too restricting to doing the things they want or need to do.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 02/27/13 at 08:49:34

"Every decision means the death of all other possibilities" ... quote from the Sci-fi mini-series "Taken" by Stephen Speilberg.

Best of Luck to you whatever your choice!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/27/13 at 10:44:12

the interview went okay, if they offer me the job I'll say yes. It sounds kinda neat, more of a digital press operator/sign finishing position than anything as passive as I am now but I can see it being an okay job. yeah I need to move past the "my job = my life" thing, but I really don't have anything else, no family or anything so I have a hard time evaluating myself outside of my career.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 02/27/13 at 20:01:24

Who "toils away in the dark" on nights? When I go into work - the sun is up. When I get out - the sun is up. It's only dark outside when I'm at work and can't do anything anyways. Then again I'm actually talking about the night shift, not the 3-11 evening shift people always seem to call "nights" these days.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/28/13 at 05:09:49

Who "toils away in the dark" on nights?

Two new fonts need to be added…. One for sarcastic comments and one for metaphorical comments.

I was being more metaphorical than anything else. I was saying it would be a shame to toil away in a job that makes you feel trapped and unfulfilled.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/28/13 at 10:15:35

WebsterMark wrote on 02/28/13 at 05:09:49:

I was being more metaphorical than anything else. I was saying it would be a shame to toil away in a job that makes you feel trapped and unfulfilled.

I've always made the choice to go with the job I was more comfortable and fulfilled in and it seems that's always been a mistake somehow, it always hurts financially, and now I'm not sure I can afford that choice anymore.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/01/13 at 10:33:46

I had a guy try to hire me away from a job Id had for more than 5 years. He offered a Big raise. More than 20%. but, I didnt know the guy. Didnt trust him, AND, he told me he was a Christian Three Times.,.,Immediate red flag for me,I went to my boss & told him what the guy was offering. He said he could afford to pay more to keep me, but couldnt match it. I got a decent raise & stayed. As it worked out, he just really wanted to go to the Las Vegas electronics show. He hired a guy & kept him for just 6 weeks,, I woulda been out of a job in 6 weeks had I taken that,, But, my old boss woulda rehired me,, I know that, cuz he did. I did take other jobs, he hired me back twice,cuz I made him good $$$.

I stayed that time, because I knew how he treated me. He was al;ways honest & fair with me. I knew he wasnt a screamer or slave driver.
KNowing the environment isnt toxic helps a lot when the alarm clock goes off. Waking up & getting a pain in the gut, knowing youre gonna spend the next 8 or 10 hours in some level of emotional pain because the boss sucks isnt worth $20.00 a day. Keep beans on the table working with good people.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:40:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › change? better or worse?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.