Send Topic Print
car question (Read 124 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
car question
02/26/13 at 13:17:12

I have an 88 buick century. My cv axel boot is leaking . Are those replacement boots a good idea,and are they hard to put on?Any advice on how to do it would be appreciatedAlso if you change the whole axel ,do you need to realign the front end?. Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: car question
Reply #1 - 02/26/13 at 13:24:30

I have purchased the split boots and they work fine.  One method was the boot has screws and washers for the connection of the split portion, and other model used a glue.  On the glue one you had to be careful not to get grease on the part to be glued.  Both of them had clamps for the ends.  They worked just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 02/26/13 at 13:26:40

Dave ,I read that if your grease is leaking then its contaminated ,and replacing the boot won't help ,do you think that is true?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 02/26/13 at 13:35:17

The kits include new grease. Clean out the old, squirt in the new. The kits work well assuming you haven't already damaged the joint.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 13:44:03

it doesn't click or anything,how do you get the old boot off?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 02/26/13 at 14:24:34

Cut the old one off with an exacto-knife...  (mind those fingers)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 02/26/13 at 17:41:30

Can the wheel be hanging down or do you have to support it? I bought a quick boot with the screws .Whats the best way to take the metal bands off from the old boot? Also are there any surprizes in there?Is brake cleaner the best way to get the old grease out?. Here I go again.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 02/26/13 at 17:59:56

The parts store sold me the boot for heavy duty brakes ,but i don't think my car has heavy duty brakes, Does it matter ,and how can you tell? Thanks!

IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #8 - 02/28/13 at 14:51:08

No need for realignment. Reman CV assembly complete is around $65 exchange. Be sure to size the CV shaft lock nut while you're at the parts store if they have a loan-a-tool (assuming you dont have one). You need a pickle fork too. Break axle nut loose first with wheel still on the ground. Remove wheel, caliper, rotor, seperate lower ball joint (carefully with frame supported by jack stand, jack up hub assembly a few inches so lower control arm can drop away when ball joint is unseated with fork), Turn the steering wheel all the way in the direction opposite the side of the car you are working on (this allows the spindle to swing out far enough to slip the axle shaft out of the hub). Look for any sign the transaxle output seal has leaked, remove cv shaft assembly. Replace output seal if needed. Reassemble. If car is equipped with preloaded front sway bar, you will need a long (3 foot) pipe or prybar and your floor jack to get theball joint back in the control arm. You will know when taking apart if so, the control arm will not drop when ball joint seperated, have to pry arm down to swing spindle out.
I know i know, I need paragraphs.

06 S40
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 03/01/13 at 08:56:21

i'm letting my mechanic fix it. I need some other stuff done too. Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/01/13 at 10:37:54

Sometimes the hassle is more than the savings are worth. I need to get my hands on the clutch pedal assembly on my old Ford pickup. The steering wheel has to lay down & Im not one of those guys who likes dash board work, at ALL.. So, for about $250.00 I can have it removed & handed to me, take it home, work on the bushing surfaces & have it put back in,, Im debating, still.

The speedo she a no workee, either,, maybe nowztha time?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:43:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › car question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.