Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWY Controls as rear sets? (Read 101 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
HWY Controls as rear sets?
02/25/13 at 07:24:25

Hi all,

I'd like to have your opinion on adapting a set sold as highway controls (forward controls) as rear controls (as on GT / Dual Sports).

There is (I forget who  Undecided) who suggested to use dirt bike controls, but I like these much much better  Smiley

They sell a model for Suzuki VS 600/750/800, and another for Volusia/C800/VL800/M800.

At €265 (=$350 !) they're certainly expensive, but this would be a good hint on what to go and look for in a breaker's yard...

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: HWY Controls as rear sets?
Reply #1 - 02/25/13 at 08:28:10

I guess if you're just crazy for the hardware,.. it's a starting point,... but, it looks to me like the mounts would stick the pegs out too far...
Plus,.. if you plan on posting, highway pegs may not be strong enough to bear the weight...
(no offense intended)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 02/26/13 at 01:15:27

Serowbot wrote on 02/25/13 at 08:28:10:
I guess if you're just crazy for the hardware,.. it's a starting point,... but, it looks to me like the mounts would stick the pegs out too far...
Plus,.. if you plan on posting, highway pegs may not be strong enough to bear the weight...
(no offense intended)... Huh...

Thank you. I don't believe the pegs are meant to hold all that much weight (OK, I do weigh 200 lbs... Undecided)
but my point is that a set of footpegs mounted in the "traditional" (=european) position make the bikle easier to control in slow city traffic and in the mountains, whereas forward controls may look nice but are applicable only to long freeway cruising.

These are two completely different situations, and the current position of the footpegs make the bike clumsy in tight situations and reduce manoeuvrability.

I mean... one thing is to commute in this kind of traffic...  Cool

and another thing is to commute in THIS kind of traffic ...  Shocked Lips Sealed Undecided

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/26/13 at 03:15:17

Based on the traffic photo's it looks like you should build the bike to be off-road capable to get around the cars/trucks on the pavement.   Wink Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 06:49:34

Now you understabd my point on lane splitting... more like splitting hairs...  Lips Sealed

Lane splitting, American Style  Cool

Lane splitting, Italian Style  Shocked

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/07/study-lane-splitting-is-safer/
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/motorcycle-352657-lane-drivers.html
And, for an interesting read, a pdf at the end of this page
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/07/study-lane-splitting-is-safer/

Wink

Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 19:19:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HWY Controls as rear sets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.