Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle lane-splitting rules unveiled (Read 393 times)
gone fishing

Re: Motorcycle lane-splitting rules unveiled
Reply #15 - 02/13/13 at 11:58:35

Sad

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 14:41:41 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #16 - 02/14/13 at 07:16:47

"And if you are lane splitting and someone opens their door and you hit it. You will be buying them a new door...because you were breaking the law.... "

OK, so I'm on a 4 - 5 lane freeway stuck in stop&go traffic, so I decide to split lanes between lanes 3 and 4, and some wisea$$ decides to open the door while traveling at 10mph?

It's one of those few instances when I wish I'd be carrying... This isde of the Ocean, it's assault with an improvised device.

WTF ???  Angry

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #17 - 02/14/13 at 08:14:30

Sad

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 14:41:12 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/14/13 at 08:37:24

gone fishing wrote on 02/14/13 at 08:14:30:
Since its illegal here, no one is looking behind them for a motorcycle, right and they could have opened their door for anything, And most likely they will also be carring. You would still be at fault.

Let's not forget who doesn't have to obey the law...
Quote:
(e) Subsections (b) and (c) shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.

assault of a police officer is highly frowned upon.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 02/15/13 at 07:52:15

Considering that two wrongs don't make a right, splitting lanes in some places is illegal, but so should "opening your car door while in motion" be.

IF one illegally opens the car door while vehicle is in motion, anything can happen, including tots falling out.
So, whadayado, run over the tot because HE was splitting lanes trying to climb back into mommy's car?

Roll Eyes

I accept splitting lanes is illegal in many States, so is assault and battery.
If you see a bike splitting lanes in your mirror and "That'll teach him a lesson", it's assault.
AND
If he's carrying and so much as touches his holster while hollering at me, it's armed assault.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #20 - 02/15/13 at 10:48:44

Prove, that he/she opened the door to annoy you. I very much doubt you would see such an offence created in most western democracies. As far as I'm aware there isn't any specific legislation on this in my country. I feel that if you hit anyone , or they hit you during a splitting manouver you would lose the insurance battle.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #21 - 02/15/13 at 11:28:48

I had a car do the lane splitting on me today. Well, sorta. I was at a gas island and he couldn't wait for me to finish so he drove between me and the guy to my right. If I were driving my van, he would not have fit. So, I guess it is technically lane splitting.  Roll Eyes

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #22 - 02/16/13 at 08:09:21

jcstokes wrote on 02/15/13 at 10:48:44:
Prove, that he/she opened the door to annoy you. I very much doubt you would see such an offence created in most western democracies. As far as I'm aware there isn't any specific legislation on this in my country. I feel that if you hit anyone , or they hit you during a splitting manouver you would lose the insurance battle.

There is the misunderstanding that whatever the law may be in the US, the "Western Democracies" (i.e. Europe) followed suit.
That is not the case. Quite the contrary, whereas the US still uses "the Roman Code of Law" where Judges emit sentences and create precedents, in Europe we do have a Code of Criminal / Civil Law which sets general standarda and guidelines for magistrates.

Hence, in a "Western Democracy", I would be fined for lane splitting, and the car driver would have to explain why he opened the door in a moving vehicle - which, just in case you never noticed, is against the law anywhere and in its back yard as well.

Anything you do, which is involved in an accident, must be justified to the investigators in order to determine who was acting according to the Law, who was acting according to common sense, and who out of sheer instinct or out of spite.

Opening a door from a moving vehicle to hit (or be struck by) a motorcycle splitting lanes is "out of spite" - else, you pull over and stop before you open the door.

Hence, If traffic is stuck / stop&go and I poodle along at snails pace because otherwise the engine will roast, anybody opening the door at me is guilty of reckless behaviour, or, if the "out of spite" pops up, of assault ...in a Western Democracy...

Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #23 - 02/16/13 at 09:06:56

Sad

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 14:40:40 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #24 - 02/16/13 at 15:47:32

gone fishing wrote on 02/16/13 at 09:06:56:
But...its not illegal in the US to open your door......

In a moving vehicle ?  Shocked

I don't want to start a tit-for.tat, but I want to make sure I understand...

It's not just what is "allowed or prohibited by law",
it's also a matter of common sense...

If you can't flick out your spent cigarette butt (littering) why should "opening the door" be ok ???

Roll Eyes  Just wondering...  Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #25 - 02/16/13 at 17:13:26

Sad

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 14:40:22 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com