Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spring maintenance? (Read 62 times)
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Spring maintenance?
02/17/13 at 13:22:47

I'm sitting up here in Michigan with cabin fever and am thinking about what I need to do to get the bike up and running for the season.  I bought my bike last spring, so this will be my first "post winter" start-up.  

For the winter I topped off the tank and added Sta-Bil.  Changed the oil.  Over-inflated the tires and placed carpet under them, and removed the battery and place it on a tender once a month or so to keep it topped off.  Once the weather warms up I am planning on simply changing the oil and air filter and riding.  

Is there anything else that I am overlooking and should be doing heading into the riding season?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Spring maintenance?
Reply #1 - 02/17/13 at 13:33:36

I don't think you need to change the oil if you did that before you put the bike away. Adjust the tire pressure and ride Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Spring maintenance?
Reply #2 - 02/17/13 at 13:44:00

In long term storage rebuild projects that I've done, you find white nodules floating on top of the oil.  This is water solidified with some other sh!t.  Oil seems to absorb it and w/out the cyclic running of the bike, has no way to drive it off.  So in wet climates, I would definitely change it before the riding season.  In dry climates, I might not.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:21:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spring maintenance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.