Send Topic Print
Breaking Wind (Read 427 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Breaking Wind
01/30/13 at 20:28:12

I'm going to order a windshield in a few days.  I like the looks of the Flyscreen from National Cycle. However, I question it's effectiveness(due to it's size) at highway speeds. There's nothing like the feel of moving through the open air, but at higher speeds I'm tired of feeling like a wind sail. I'm leaning towards the Deflector Screen DX(also by National Cycle). If any of you have any knowledge/experience with either of these I would appreciate your advice/comments.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Breaking Wind
Reply #1 - 01/30/13 at 20:45:06

To me, riding w/out any screen is great up to 50.
then I feel like my feet are getting lighter.
the flyscreen just boosts that up to 70.
after that I start tucking in.

WWW   IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #2 - 01/30/13 at 21:05:07

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/13 at 20:45:06:
To me, riding w/out any screen is great up to 50.
then I feel like my feet are getting lighter.
the flyscreen just boosts that up to 70.
after that I start tucking in.

I was looking at the flyscreen too. I heard it will take the beating off your chest which will help alot.

I rode on a good wnidy day at 70 and I felt like I was doing isometrics on the bike. Arms pulling the bars hard as the wind pounding my chest. Full face helmet bouncing around like a ball between tennis players. Knees glued to the tank and trying to suck my body onto the tank while maintaining a decent veiw of the road.... just couldn't get small enough at six foot. It was a work out.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 01/30/13 at 21:17:14

Here's what Blinky thought of the flyscreen.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1359483828

At 5'11", the flyscreen keeps the wind off my chest, and diverts the airstream up just enough to keep about 2/3 of the bugs from impaling themselves on my face shield. Cool

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 01/31/13 at 01:57:15

I concur with the previous assertation of the Nat. Cycle flyscreen having had one on both of the LS650s I've owned ... great little screen! Does not take away from the cool minimalist look of the Bike yet is pretty effective for most Riders under most riding conditions ... and for me at 5'-4", 130lbs, the flyscreen was just about perfect! In fact it is now hanging up in my shed awaiting my next Cruiser ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 01/31/13 at 03:23:47

I have a full size windshield. it even drops down to the turn indicators, all the way out to my grips.....couldn't ride without it in the cold, and I can tuck my face in close to it during a heavy down pour. Does not look great, but it sure works. However, come summer, it comes off.....back on when I start to chatter again in late fall  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/31/13 at 05:58:55

Doug,
The fly screen is still available if you are interested. I bought it for the "geehaw" factor (as in, geehaw, don't that look good!). I installed it for a test loop and it was great up to about 50mph. Above that it kept the wind off my center torso but I felt it on my shoulders. A vast improvement over no screen at all but still a little too much pressure for me. I am 6'2".

But if you are looking for a screen that blocks everything, I recommend the Memphis Shades Slim. Several others on the forum use it and also recommend it. I ran it all last year including a 2,000 mile back road run to upstate New York. I have zero pressure on the torso and no helmet buffeting. I plan on two extended trips this year and, as cool as the fly screen looks and as good as it is up to cruising speeds, I need the bigger Memphis Slim for 300-400 mile days.
For what it is worth

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 01/31/13 at 06:38:35

On the RYCA bikes, you are leaning forward into the wind instead of barcalounger posture.  It's murder in traffic, but out in the twisties or at 70-80 mph, it's perfect.

I have a Memphis Shades windshield in the take-off pile.  It is not new, but looks pretty good, no cracks, and could probably be made to look like new with some polishing.  $25 plus shipping.  

I have a slew of parts for sale, as well,... left over from building two RYCA bikes.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 01/31/13 at 11:49:05

I have whatever the largest NationalCycle screen is and love it. I expected some problems when passing or being passed by big trucks but nothing at all. As long as I keep moving, only from my knees down gets wet even in heavy rain. They could do better than that cheap plastic mounting hardware and radiator hose clamps that comes with it, but that's my only complaint. And since it's a quick on/off you can dump it if you're just going to tool around town and don't want that "look" of un-cool some think comfort bestows.

Jack

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/31/13 at 12:08:00

Blinky-FSO wrote on 01/31/13 at 05:58:55:
Doug,
The fly screen is still available if you are interested. I bought it for the "geehaw" factor (as in, geehaw, don't that look good!). I installed it for a test loop and it was great up to about 50mph. Above that it kept the wind off my center torso but I felt it on my shoulders. A vast improvement over no screen at all but still a little too much pressure for me. I am 6'2".

But if you are looking for a screen that blocks everything, I recommend the Memphis Shades Slim. Several others on the forum use it and also recommend it. I ran it all last year including a 2,000 mile back road run to upstate New York. I have zero pressure on the torso and no helmet buffeting. I plan on two extended trips this year and, as cool as the fly screen looks and as good as it is up to cruising speeds, I need the bigger Memphis Slim for 300-400 mile days.
For what it is worth
http://p1.bikepics.com/2012%5C09%5C27%5Cbikepics-2460572-800.jpg

I swear by the Memphis Slim. The only drawback to me is it could be wider to keep wind off my hands in the winter. It's one of the most solid and stable shields that fit the Savage. Rock solid even at 85mph!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #10 - 01/31/13 at 12:52:35

The Suzuki windshield works for me. not too high, not too low.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 01/31/13 at 13:23:42

I've got a Memphis Shades Demon or Hellcat for mine. Sitting out in the shed collecting dust, haven't looked at it in years since I run 15" apehangers. It worked well with lower bars, had it on both VN800s and the Savage at various times. Lisa is using the big Memphis Shades shield that came on my VN800A, with a set of Memphis Shades universal windshield lowers, on her 800 Intruder and won't consider anything else. Her original shield that got broken in 2001 was also a Memphis Shades unit.

Having been in the biz and sold many a windshield, Memphis Shades are about the best out there. Anything else is a crap shoot.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 01/31/13 at 18:01:47

I want a Vetter frame mounted fairing just not sure which model.  Sorry I can't help with windshield issue.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/31/13 at 18:45:29

If you're serious you'll want a Vetter 2 or Vetter 3. I ran a Vetter 2 on my GS750T.

Better bet for a full fairing is an HD batwing. Our late forum member Max Morley ran one on his Savage for over a decade, starting before THIS forum was around. Very easy install since it is fork mounted. He also ran the smaller 1960s tour pack and bubble bags made for pre-Electra Glide touring bikes. Again, easy install, he got the sissy bar and fender rails off my 98 Savage, modified them into supports and bolted everything up like it was made for his Savage. With any luck, Paladin has photos still.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 02/01/13 at 14:36:20

I got a '79 GS 850 with all the Vetter luggage and fairing. Even has the optional stereo mount kit. I took the luggage off the 850 and put it on my Sav, moving the trunk forward and making the bike a single up with the backrest on the trunk a nice feature.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to fit the fairing as well. All those extra bulbs will mean changing over to LEDs due to the limited amperage we've got

Also considering using the front from the GS for a trike build that's rumbling around in my head. Time will tell if I get the nerve/ energy to give it a go. Stay tuned.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Breaking Wind

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.