Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
small oil leak left side 7th fin up from bottom (Read 136 times)
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
small oil leak left side 7th fin up from bottom
01/04/13 at 09:57:30

Dear gang: HI!  I have a small, tiny amount of oil pooling on the 7th fin of the motor on the left side.

I also have a small amount of oil coming from the cylinder head nut underneath the exhaust, number 14-15 I think it is in the diagram.  I checked it and it was loose.  

What is the best plan of action here?

Thanks  Smiley

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: small oil leak left side 7th fin up from botto
Reply #1 - 01/04/13 at 10:01:06

Tighten the head nuts on both sides, clean the head with brake parts cleaner to the point you will be able to see the oil leak if it continues, then take a spin and see what happens.

Read up on the rubber plug leak here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

This rubber plug leak is likely what you are really dealing with.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/04/13 at 20:28:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/04/13 at 10:01:06:
Tighten the head nuts on both sides, clean the head with brake parts cleaner to the point you will be able to see the oil leak if it continues, then take a spin and see what happens.

Read up on the rubber plug leak here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

This rubber plug leak is likely what you are really dealing with.

What OF said!

IMO, said head nuts should be torqued.  Torque adapters are fairly easy to rig up for this if your torque wrench requires same......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #3 - 01/04/13 at 21:00:31

you guys are awsome. i just bought a 99 savage with an oil leak that the old owner couldnt fix, and i think this will fix it. cant wait till tomorrow im tearing it apart. guy sold it to me for 500 dollars. thank you for sharing your advice.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #4 - 01/04/13 at 21:36:54

mikey2004 wrote on 01/04/13 at 21:00:31:
you guys are awsome. i just bought a 99 savage with an oil leak that the old owner couldnt fix, and i think this will fix it. cant wait till tomorrow im tearing it apart. guy sold it to me for 500 dollars. thank you for sharing your advice.

I love those kind of bikes!  Generally the only kind I buy.  (OK, Aida's bike was actually running fine when I bought it for it.)  Nice way to get a good deal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/05/13 at 12:19:48

In the years Ive been here I cant recall a head leak that was the head gasket.
I have to wonder why cars that run higher compression than our 9 to 1 dont require head torquing every 5,000 miles.
My lawnmower doesnt either.
Ive got 20,000 on mine, never touched the head bolts except at about 15,000 when I went with the hotter cam & put the aftermarket chain in it.
Never had a leak "Up There",, the O-ring where the clutch actuator passes thru the case ooooozed a bit, so, I replaced it when I was in there putting the new clutch throw out in. I also took that opportunity to remove the shims frummunda the sprangs,, so as to UNstress that poorly made piece,. The failure rate on those is inexcusable, IMO. A piece so small required to handle such loads should be made better.
Ive seen reports of at least 3, IIRC,, maybe as many as 5,, but the job it performs & where it is & where the broken off bits go are just way too important & the potential for a chunk to get in spinning gears & lock the motor up at speed is too high for them to justify using something not billet machined & properly radiused & stress relieved. This should be a Never Fail part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #6 - 02/05/13 at 05:56:19

It was not the rubber plug but two bolts that were loose.   One was on the outside of the motor right under the exhaust.  The other was one of the many valve cover bolts just floating in there. The tip about brake parts cleaner was very helpful.  Without it you can't tell if you fixed the leak or not.  Redoing the valve cover again was good because I got a better seal this time.  The bike runs better overall, more of that deep thumping sound that is like a cat's purr.  Bike happy = rider happy.

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › small oil leak left side 7th fin up from bottom

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.