ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Breaking Wind
Reply #15 - 02/01/13 at 18:28:12

Jack_650 wrote on 02/01/13 at 14:36:20:
I got a '79 GS 850 with all the Vetter luggage and fairing. Even has the optional stereo mount kit. I took the luggage off the 850 and put it on my Sav, moving the trunk forward and making the bike a single up with the backrest on the trunk a nice feature.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to fit the fairing as well. All those extra bulbs will mean changing over to LEDs due to the limited amperage we've got

Also considering using the front from the GS for a trike build that's rumbling around in my head. Time will tell if I get the nerve/ energy to give it a go. Stay tuned.

Jack

Bring it on Jack. Most of us hoolligans enjoy an good homebrewed scooter! Them as wants "purists" motorcickles can look the other way! Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #16 - 02/01/13 at 18:30:53

WD wrote on 01/31/13 at 13:23:42:
I've got a Memphis Shades Demon or Hellcat for mine. Sitting out in the shed collecting dust, haven't looked at it in years since I run 15" apehangers. It worked well with lower bars, had it on both VN800s and the Savage at various times. Lisa is using the big Memphis Shades shield that came on my VN800A, with a set of Memphis Shades universal windshield lowers, on her 800 Intruder and won't consider anything else. Her original shield that got broken in 2001 was also a Memphis Shades unit.

Having been in the biz and sold many a windshield, Memphis Shades are about the best out there. Anything else is a crap shoot.  

WD will the Memphis Fats shield fit on the Slim's mounts? I'd like to have a Fats with the lowers for winter and the Slim for summer riding.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #17 - 02/02/13 at 11:29:26

Thanks to all who replied - I agree with verslagen1 - at about 45-50 mph I start feeling like parachute man   but like the feel of the open air at slower speeds    I really like the looks of the Flyscreen   and sent Blinky the $75.00 to give it a try    I've only had short runs(10 miles or less) on the highway thus far   this June I'm planning a trip to Athena, Oregon to attend Hodaka Days    my first bike was a 74 Hodaka Super Combat 125   Athena is about 75 miles from Kennewick, Washington   and I want something to "break the wind"   I still might buy something bigger   I'll see how the Flyscreen works

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/02/13 at 11:38:12

When you set it up, direct the blast below your helmet so it doesn't buffet it around.  feels real good in the summer, but at 80 you better have your chin strap on tight.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 02/02/13 at 15:41:44

ZAR, they should be the same bracket spacing. The shields themselves are universal. To fit the VN hardware on a VS (which is a narrow glide instead of a mid glide in HD speak) I swapped the brackets left to right. If you have brackets for one that fit, you have brackets for the other one... assuming you have the proper fork tube mounted brackets and NOT the cheesy sleazy handlebar mount brackets.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #20 - 02/04/13 at 17:44:40

verslagen1 - my Flyscreen arrived today - you mentioned something about the set up - what would you(or anyone else reading this) suggest as a good starting point for clamp position on the forks and screen angle(relative to the forks) ?  I'm 5'8"

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/04/13 at 18:30:22

set it just above the headlight and parallel to the forks.

then take a ride and feel where the stream hits you in the chest.

the slower you go the higher it'll be.  tilt it back if you need to lower it.

at 65 you want the turbulence under you chin, not on your helmet.

this great in the summer, might have to close your vents in the winter.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #22 - 02/04/13 at 18:38:01

WD wrote on 02/02/13 at 15:41:44:
ZAR, they should be the same bracket spacing. The shields themselves are universal. To fit the VN hardware on a VS (which is a narrow glide instead of a mid glide in HD speak) I swapped the brackets left to right. If you have brackets for one that fit, you have brackets for the other one... assuming you have the proper fork tube mounted brackets and NOT the cheesy sleazy handlebar mount brackets.

WD my brackets are the fork mounted ones. No question in my mind that's part of the reason the Memphis Shades shields are the only way to go. Those things are SOLID!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 02/04/13 at 19:45:27

Oh, they have their own cut rate handlebar mounted crap just like the others... the shield in my shed being one of them. That I need to trim the sides off of, was on the 800 Classic when it crashed in 2/2008, no cracks but a couple good gouges in the left wing of the shield. Lisa's original shield was also handlebar mounted, still have the mounting hardware even though the shield broke in 2001 while loading the bike for a move from the farm (where we live now) to WA (where I'm from).

Ought to find one of the spare clamps, broke a mirror mount yesterday and the windshield hardware should make a rock solid replacement piece...  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 02/04/13 at 21:55:35

Doug B,... you stole my life...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1360043480

Grin Grin Grin...
PS,.. you better bring us back some pics from the Hodaka days...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #25 - 02/05/13 at 07:05:11

verslagen1 - thanks for the advice - I'll set it up as you suggest and then go from there

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #26 - 02/05/13 at 08:32:17

Serowbot - type in Hodaka Days online and you will find many pictures from the event(each year) going back to it's first year(2002, I believe) - as well as information on what they do - swap meet, bike show, rides, races, family oriented gatherings....etc      

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 21:31:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Breaking Wind

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.