Send Topic Print
Headlight question (Read 295 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Headlight question
01/30/13 at 06:12:02

Dont see anything out here about headlights. Anyone here have an opinion (like thats a dumb statement) on Headlights? Specifically what is the "brightest" alternative bulb that will fit the stock bracket and housing?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Headlight question
Reply #1 - 01/30/13 at 06:20:16

The stock headlight is small, and some think it does not produce enough light.  Upgrading the bulb to a larger wattage can be a problem, as the Savage does not have much excess electrical power. You might be able to find a bulb that produced more useful light with the same wattage.

Do a search or just look through the posts - some have changed the headlight.  I think one fellow used a C50 headlight, the problem is the Savage uses 2 bolts and the C50 (or most other bottom mount lights) use 1 bolt and you need to make an adapter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/30/13 at 06:21:54

Try the Sylvania Silverstar 9003. Direct swap out halogen lamp and really lights up the road compared to the stock lamp.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 01/30/13 at 06:25:30

I don't know how legally installed in xenon headlamp or led lamps in the United States, but in Russia, we cannot do it. I myself found such lamps into headlight

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/30/13 at 07:29:58

The stock headlight is a 60/55 watt bulb.  I replaced the stock headlight in my Kawasaki Super Sherpa with a Silverstar, and it helped a bunch.  The Silverstar headlights offer more light - however they are not very long lasting.  I put Silverstars in my wife's car and she drives 100 miles a day, and they lasted 9 moths and one burned out.  That is the equivalent of about 15,000 miles.....so maybe that is acceptable for a motorcycle.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 01/30/13 at 10:09:47

Install a xenon HID bulb system.  Way more light, lower load on the electrical system.

My plan for the RYCA build is to use a train light (Suzuki GS1100 9" bucket, 8" lens) but with a lower wattage bulb.  The huge reflector amplifies the light a lot, and the 35 watt halogen bulb puts approx the same load on the electrical system as does an HID set up.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #6 - 01/30/13 at 11:06:02

HID lights are legal if they came on the vehicle. Adding HID bulbs and wiring to a non HID housing is illegal every where in the US.

Some jurisdictions may not care, some do.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/30/13 at 11:52:56

gone fishing wrote on 01/30/13 at 11:06:02:
HID lights are legal if they came on the vehicle. Adding HID bulbs and wiring to a non HID housing is illegal every where in the US.

There is a fellow in a 4WD pickup that comes toward me every morning and he has both headlights and both foglights converted to HID.  The lights are so bright that I have blue spots in my eyes for the next 1/2 mile......I sure would like to "Punch out his Lights" sometime!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/30/13 at 12:01:14

Dave wrote on 01/30/13 at 11:52:56:

There is a fellow in a 4WD pickup that comes toward me every morning and he has both headlights and both foglights converted to HID.  The lights are so bright that I have blue spots in my eyes for the next 1/2 mile......I sure would like to "Punch out his Lights" sometime!

We have as part of our requirements, that lights may not blind... forget the exact wording..

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/30/13 at 12:14:58

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/13 at 12:01:14:
Dave wrote on 01/30/13 at 11:52:56:

We have as part of our requirements, that lights may not blind... forget the exact wording..

Well....Until somebody with the Blue Lights on top of their car pulls him over and issues him a citation......he isn't going to stop.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 01/30/13 at 12:25:26

This is what I use. It is the highest output non HID bulb I could find, and it is vibration resistant to boot.http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/PIAA-H4-SUPER-PLASMA-GTX-BULB

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #11 - 01/30/13 at 12:30:02

I switched mine to Silverstar H4 ST. It's a drop in replacement and it illuminates the road much better than the stock one. Here is the link for what I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AM8BN6

Good luck.

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #12 - 01/30/13 at 12:34:52

What Tennessee says..

55-9-408.  Headlights complying with prohibition against glaring and dazzling lights -- Anti-glare devices -- Mounted height of lamps.

Headlights shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of § 55-9-406, prohibiting glaring and dazzling lights, if the headlights are of a type customarily employed by manufacturers of automobiles and in addition are equipped with some anti-glare device approved by the department of safety; provided, that the department shall not approve any anti-glare device, or any combination thereof, unless it has been submitted to a laboratory test and has been found, when properly adjusted, to prevent any of the bright portions of the headlight beams from rising above a horizontal plane passing through the lamp centers parallel to a level road upon which the loaded vehicle stands and in no case higher than forty-two inches (42''), seventy-five feet (75') ahead of the vehicle.

55-9-409.  Inspecting and testing lamps emitting glare -- Order to remove illegal lamps -- Arrest of drivers.

(a) Any member of the highway patrol having reasonable ground to believe that any headlamp or auxiliary driving or fog lamp or any device subject to approval upon a vehicle emits a glaring light as defined in §§ 55-9-406 and 55-9-408, or otherwise fails to comply with the requirements of this part, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit the lamp to an inspection or test. In the event the lamp or device is not of the type that has been approved by the department, the officer making the inspection shall require the driver of the vehicle to remove the illegal lamp within twenty-four (24) hours, and may arrest the driver and give the driver a notice to appear, and may further require the driver or the owner of the vehicle to produce in court satisfactory evidence of the removal of the illegal lamp.

(b) In the event any headlight or auxiliary driving or fog light of a type that has been approved by the department, by reason of faulty adjustment or otherwise, emits a glaring light as defined in §§ 55-9-406 and 55-9-408 or otherwise fails to comply with this part, the officer making the inspection shall direct the driver to make the light or lights conform to the requirements of this part within forty-eight (48) hours. The officer may also arrest the driver and give the driver a notice to appear, and further require the driver or the owner of the vehicle to produce in court satisfactory evidence that the light or lights have been made to conform with the requirements of this part.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/30/13 at 12:35:18

You guys are great...gonna try the silverstar H4ST...dont want to blind the other drivers but need to see them deer before I get there.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/30/13 at 12:40:41

wow....on secound thought maybe I will try that super-plazma.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 23:16:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.