Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
drilled brake rotors - worthy upgrade? (Read 285 times)
strang

london
drilled brake rotors - worthy upgrade?
01/28/13 at 13:32:50

First off I want to know if there are any savage years that had drilled rotors as stock?
Also to anyone that's got them as stock or upgraded to them - was it really noticeable difference? bang for the buck?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: drilled brake rotors - worthy upgrade?
Reply #1 - 01/28/13 at 13:51:02

No Savage came with drilled rotors.

I believe it is mostly for looks........Sport bikes and race bikes have it.....so I want one too.

I just drilled mine - but I will not be riding it for a few months and can't give a performance report for a while.  I also have made som many other changes......I probably won't be able to identify if the drilled rotor changed anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #2 - 01/28/13 at 14:06:33

"No Savage came with drilled rotors."
yeh I never saw them either but I'm a newbie so thought I'd check.
This is what got me thinking:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330840506316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984...
usual ebay fibbs or custom job that ended up in the wreckers?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/28/13 at 14:11:18

Might be a EBC disk which is a better quality disk.

wreckers always assume what came off a bike is stock, but in this case didn't see specific wording as such.

BTW: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1327803868

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 01/28/13 at 16:22:56

I don't know if it would help the Savage or not.  One thing I do know is that the holes have to be small enough to increase the surface area to radiate heat.

For example, if you drilled 1/2" diam holes, you would be reducing the surface area available to get rid of heat.  The area of two 1/2" holes (what was there on each side of the rotor before you drilled the hole) would be more than the surface area of the ring around the inside of the hole.
-- The area of a 1/2" circle is 3.14 x 0.25 x 0.25 ~ 0.2 sq in.  Drill a hole that size and you remove two of those circles, one on each side of the rotor,.. so you lose ~0.4 sq in of heat radiating area.
-- The area added by drilling the hole is the "hoop" around the inside of the hole,.. or the circular inside wall of the hole.  Our rotor is ~ 0.18" thick.  The surface area of that inside wall is 3.14 x .5 x 0.18 ~  0.28 sq in, so the overall surface area for radiating heat is less.
-- It appears the break even point for our rotor is around 0.36" diameter hole.
-- Another issue is that when the holes are drilled, the mass of metal available to soak up heat is less as well,.. so the rotor will get hotter sooner.  This would make me err on the side of smaller holes so as to leave more metal in the rotor.  I'd probably go for a 1/4" diameter hole.  Then again, I wouldn't drill the rotor in the first place.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/28/13 at 17:03:29

Total waste of time and money, no benefit whatsoever.......  
...that said, mine are drilled...
I like holes... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/28/13 at 20:36:53

I had Verslagen drill my front rotor; 8 sets of holes, and let me tell you; this bike looks wicked fast with that thing mounted on there!!

IMG_3540.JPG
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 01/29/13 at 04:33:32

teabowl13 wrote on 01/28/13 at 20:36:53:
I had Verslagen drill my front rotor; 8 sets of holes, and let me tell you; this bike looks wicked fast with that thing mounted on there!!

What size holes?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/29/13 at 05:30:37

One of the things that I heard the holes (and slots) can do is to allow the brake pads to outgas.  When the disc is solid and you get on the brakes hard - the pads can emit gases (especially when they are new or are being used hard and have never been that hot before).  The gases coming out from the pads are in contact with the solid rotor, and tend to push the pads away from the disc which make the brakes less effective when you need them most.  The drilled holes (or slots) allow the gas to escape without pushing the pads away.  I can see how this might work on a brand new set of pads that get too hot too soon (green fade) - but I am not sure it helps much on a set of pads that are broken in.

I also believe the holes could make a bit more turbulance than a flat disc and cool down a bit faster when moving - but there is less mass to soak up the heat during heavy braking.

I don't believe that the small holes will hurt anything......but I am not sure they will help much.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #9 - 01/29/13 at 06:24:15

there's alot of good answers here, but to what effect is the value of drilled rotors besides the cool factor? From my truckdriver training, early love of automotive tech and science, I can do a tad more than speculate.

Everything has a flash point even rocks. Two surfaces subjected to rubbing together cause friction. Friction produces heat and heat will accellerate wear and composition break down. Thats the basic science portion.

On big rig trucks, their brakes are the weak link in the system. To stop the large masses forward momentum, the brakes apply resistance. Not only does this resistance cause heat, it degrades resistance quickly as expansion occurs. Not only that, but the braking material will liquify under hard braking just before the flash point is met. If flash point and liquified point are controlled before they happen, extreme heat is generated. A metalurgical occurance happens called Martinizing, which alters the metal and causes heat checks (very small cracks) and metal weakening to develop
This is an extreme version for motorcycle brakes, but the principles apply, sport bikes came out with drilled rotors first for this very reason.

Now for our little cruiser. For those in the big cities where stop and go traffic exists, heavy braking happens. Since the bike isn't rolling down the roads at a good clip, the rotors do not have the time to cool off fully (try grabbing your rotor bare handed after going across town). The stock rotors mass/thickness is increased for structural integrity to counter city driving and breaking heat build up.

EBCs drilled rotors are thinner, lighter and they shed the heat faster in low speed usage than stock. Having your stock rotors drilled (correcttly) will aid in heat dissapation at low speeds (also reduce a little mass, lightening the rotor weight). The added benifit is water shedding between the pads and rotor (reduces hydroplaning of the pads on the rotor). This is seen on slotted and fluted brake rotors.

You have to remember these bikes are the low line bikes now, designed for economy and city commuting where the occasional express way is encountered. They are made to be fast enough for city driving, but have to be upgraded in critical areas, such as brakes for use beyond this.

Some of you may say BS, but hey, thats your take on it.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 01/29/13 at 06:28:52

Heat, water, gas.... In theory.

Holes help dissipate heat, help get rid of water, and give a place for gasses/dust to go.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting my rotor drilled to help with brake fade when it is wet out. Not really sure how much it would actually help, but sometimes it feels like I'm using slabs of butter rather than brake pads to stop in the rain.

But really, with how most of us use our bikes, you won't notice any difference at all other than the looks, and the looks are all up to you.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 01/29/13 at 06:55:56

Serowbot wrote on 01/28/13 at 17:03:29:
Total waste of time and money, no benefit whatsoever.......  
...that said, mine are drilled...
I like holes... Grin...

Bot nailed it, I think.  MOST of what we do to our bikes is because we want to and we like it.

At least that is what I tell my wife.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/29/13 at 07:11:08

Gyrobob wrote on 01/29/13 at 04:33:32:
teabowl13 wrote on 01/28/13 at 20:36:53:

What size holes?

4.78mm

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/29/13 at 07:14:02

Best answer, short, sweet, to the point.

spacepirates wrote on 01/29/13 at 06:28:52:
Heat, water, gas.... In theory.

Holes help dissipate heat, help get rid of water, and give a place for gasses/dust to go.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting my rotor drilled to help with brake fade when it is wet out. Not really sure how much it would actually help, but sometimes it feels like I'm using slabs of butter rather than brake pads to stop in the rain.

But really, with how most of us use our bikes, you won't notice any difference at all other than the looks, and the looks are all up to you.

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #14 - 01/29/13 at 07:26:58

I searched around on the internet just before Christmas looking for NEW drilled brake rotors for my savage and found only ONE company making them for  a Savage.....cost - $370.00  Shocked

I will have Verslagen drill my rotors for me  Smiley

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:13:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilled brake rotors - worthy upgrade?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.