Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Baffle placement question (Read 232 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Baffle placement question
01/20/13 at 08:45:13

So I did a little searching and found a thread with a great deal of information (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1302216606 but I have a question.

einheit13 (who was last seen on Sep 10th, 2011 so I can't ask him) stated that the baffle should be no closer than 2" to the end of the straight pipe. Could it be placed in the pipe where the pipe and header attach? How about in the end of the header itself? Is there a sound or performance difference between the 2 locations?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Baffle placement question
Reply #1 - 01/20/13 at 10:32:34

No matter what you do - anything in the exhaust is going to reduce performance and change its sound. There's no way around it. "Tuning" an exhaust is really just trying to make sure those losses are somewhere outside of the useable powerband. As far as needing to be 'no closer than 2" from the end of the straight-pipe(header)' that's a load of bollocks. The farther away from the exhaust port you can put the baffle - the better. Why? Because the exhaust has had more of a chance to smooth out so instead of being short quick bursts of air that are easily restricted, it's a slower moving smooth stream and will restrict the movement of the piston less.

It has nothing to do with its placement in relation to the end of the header because headers are all different lengths and designs. It matters how far away you are from the exhaust port and the farther the better.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 01/20/13 at 13:48:11

Thanks man!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 01/21/13 at 11:39:47

Greg wrote on 01/20/13 at 08:45:13:
So I did a little searching and found a thread with a great deal of information (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1302216606 but I have a question.

einheit13 (who was last seen on Sep 10th, 2011 so I can't ask him) stated that the baffle should be no closer than 2" to the end of the straight pipe. Could it be placed in the pipe where the pipe and header attach? How about in the end of the header itself? Is there a sound or performance difference between the 2 locations?

I think it was Diamond Jim that had a thread about this a long while back. What he did was attached a handle to the end of the baffle, and while the bike was running held the baffle in the pipe and slid it around to different locations to hear how the sound changed, then later he bolted the baffle in place.

I'd also argue against Cavi Mike's statement that "anything in the exhaust will reduce performance," as exhausts need back pressure. There is a ton of science behind exhausts, so nothing is clear-cut though. Running without a baffle tunes your engine for a very high RPM that our engines can't hit, so while in racing applications you might not want a baffle since you're sitting on a hotrod engine at 10k rpm, on our bikes you are much more likely to be sitting at 3k rpm, so you want the torque curve of your exhaust to peak at 3k rather than 10k.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 01/21/13 at 15:15:37

What kind of baffle... quiet it down or so it passes the "night stick" test? Used to be if the police could shove a night stick more than a few (3-5) inches up the pipe you had an illegal exhaust, regardless of the decibel output. On my fishtail pipe I dropped the "stick stopper" in at the front end of the pipe, slid it back to where round tubing flares out for the fishtail, and welded it in. Still sets off car alarms, but... technically legal since it isn't a straight pipe.

Your results may vary... I tend to name drop and get out of local issues.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 01/21/13 at 20:18:25

No engine "needs backpressure" not even 2-strokes. It's a complete myth that backpressure makes an engine run better. All backpressure does is physically slow down the piston on the exhaust stroke. You get a "smoother" idle with more backpressure because the engine would be spinning a lot faster if it wasn't being restricted. Your smooth 500rpm idle with backpressure is really a restricted 1,000rpm idle. The "more torque at low rpm" is your engine trying to force out more air than you're allowing it to. You're moving your torque curve lower in the range and limiting its top-end power.

Other than tuned-pipes on 2-strokes, the best exhaust is no exhaust. The only reason top-fuel rail cars have headers is to protect the exhaust valves and that's it. They're not performance pieces.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/21/13 at 21:42:36

well that's a load of bs cavi.

2 stokes benefit from back pressure by a carefully timed reverse flow to push back the fresh charge that's gone thru the combustion chamber into the pipe.  this supercharges the camber.  when a 2 stroke is on the pipe, it takes off like a rocket.

same thing happens to a 4 stroke just not as much cause there's not much over lap on the valve timing.

this doesn't lend over to supercharged engines because the intake is mechanically pressurized.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 01/22/13 at 04:58:47

WD wrote on 01/21/13 at 15:15:37:
What kind of baffle... quiet it down or so it passes the "night stick" test? Used to be if the police could shove a night stick more than a few (3-5) inches up the pipe you had an illegal exhaust, regardless of the decibel output. On my fishtail pipe I dropped the "stick stopper" in at the front end of the pipe, slid it back to where round tubing flares out for the fishtail, and welded it in. Still sets off car alarms, but... technically legal since it isn't a straight pipe.

Your results may vary... I tend to name drop and get out of local issues.  Wink

The fishtail is exactly what I am planning on doing. I would use the type that I have inserted at the bottom. How in the world would you weld it at the fishtail end?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/22/13 at 06:24:23

Quote:
the best exhaust is no exhaust.
---------------------------------
Is that the same as "bigger is always better" ??
Is that why "small tubing headers" can perform better than large tubing ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 01/22/13 at 07:29:04

Wire feed welder, go in through the fishtail. It's big enough. It will pretty much cook off the chrome at the weld line. I run the double flared 8" version like in your pic. Less chance for vibration to break the welds as the second flare holds the back end relatively stable. My exhaust has a 12" glass pack with no packing, just a bare core, and the stick stopper in the end of the pipe. Sounds like a L.O.A.C.H. instead of a UH-1 Huey.

I had to delete the airbox door and go up a size or 2 on the jets. I went a little fat with the jetting, so it runs a bit too rich, need to step them down a size since I'm only at 400' or so elevation now. Smokes like a 70s big rig until it warms up... Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 01/22/13 at 10:57:54

Cool. Then it can be done! I am going with the black straight pipe extension. Since it can be welded near the rear, I can always add something else up front if it's too loud. Thanks!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 01/22/13 at 22:51:27

verslagen1 wrote on 01/21/13 at 21:42:36:
well that's a load of bs cavi.

2 stokes benefit from back pressure by a carefully timed reverse flow to push back the fresh charge that's gone thru the combustion chamber into the pipe.  this supercharges the camber.  when a 2 stroke is on the pipe, it takes off like a rocket.

same thing happens to a 4 stroke just not as much cause there's not much over lap on the valve timing.

this doesn't lend over to supercharged engines because the intake is mechanically pressurized.

That's not backpressure, that's a tuned sound wave, and it's still not "needed" for a 2-stroke engine to run - it just bumps power in a small portion of the power band. A 2-stroke engine will run just fine without a tuned pipe or a muffler.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 01/22/13 at 23:29:17

Is this relevant to this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #13 - 01/23/13 at 04:45:22

Coaxial wrote on 01/22/13 at 23:29:17:
Is this relevant to this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Very informative. Thanks.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 01/23/13 at 06:22:31

Some years ago I took a course in Diesel engines. There was a chapter on exhaust systems, in which these sorts of effects were mentioned. Remember that Diesels do not have carburetors, so jetting isn't available as a tool. One example cited was that of a truck with an overall exhaust system about twenty feet long. The experiment involved putting the muffler at different places in the pipe, those distances probably chosen by the length of the pipe segments. Five locations were tried, and the engine was dyno tested at the same speed (about 2000 rpm, from memory) with all systems. Each location produced different power levels and different noise levels. This, with the same muffler and piping. They postulated that the results would have been different had the engine speed been varied, because of differing pulse reflections.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Baffle placement question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.