Send Topic Print
Here we go.. (Read 490 times)
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Here we go..
01/11/13 at 17:35:05

here is the start of my project. 1999 savage. bought it for $500.00 it has 16k miles. big oil leak. im going to start by rebuilding the motor. i already have the head cap ready. and look at this thing. what is up with the reflectors on the frame. those got to go. more pics to come. im taking the motor apart tomorrow. cant wait to get started.

bike_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Here we go..
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 23:46:09

Check the head bolt, just above the exhaust pipe... and the one at the back by the carb... (that's what it looks like to me)...  
... could also be the head plug... ... but, neither requires a rebuild... (unless you like that sort of thing)...

Beyond that,... at your mileage...  you need to check the cam chain adjuster... (still not a rebuild)...
See the Tech section for details on head leak and cam chain adjuster...

Save the rebuild for 40k plus...  maybe even 80k...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 02:14:30

The reflectors on the frame give you a few microseconds chance when people in cars charge at you through stop signs and orange or red lights etc.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 02:33:59

How long have you owned and ridden it?  Before you jump into tearing it apart.......have you spent enough time riding it to know what is working well and what does not?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 08:09:34

I hope he hasnt started tearing into that thing,,
Ive yet to see one that Needs a rebuild unless someone starved it for oil.

16K, time to have a look at the cam chain adjuster & fix the leak.
I saw one with around 90,000 on it once..didnt look to me like it had been pampered, ever,,but it was still a chuggin along,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #5 - 01/12/13 at 10:40:29

Good luck on your rebuild, I know how fun it can be; I just rebuild mine a few months ago.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #6 - 01/12/13 at 10:41:50

Oh and you're right, those reflectors need to be thrown out a window.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 01/12/13 at 11:50:38

Good lick on your rebuild. Personally at 16k I wouldn't be rebuilding it. Fix the leak and look at the cam.

IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #8 - 01/12/13 at 12:00:00

lmao thanks to all. i started taking it apart today. only reason im taking it apart is because the guy who had it before me didnt know what he was doing when he took it apart to replace the head gasket. so im going to replace the head seal cap and put another gasket on it. looks like he tore the gasket when he installed it. got one being shipped to me now. i have taking the bike out a few times i know a few things that it needs. it is running pretty good. just the oil pooring out of it and it has a miss im looking into. in taking it apart im able to wipe all the oil off and buff the chrome. this guy was riding it with the oil pooring out.... things some people do. will be done next sat. just waiting for the gasket. thank you for your posts. the reflectors are going to be replaced with lights. i think they are ugly.

bike_1.jpg
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #9 - 01/12/13 at 12:00:54

started.

bike_3.jpg
  IP Logged
Rocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/17/13 at 10:43:38

Interesting thread.  I have a 1997 with about 6,000 miles. Converted to a Ryca cafe.  Got moderate leaking down left side of front/side of jug fins.   Some leakage apears to start above he head gasket but more below.  Great compression.  

Do you folks just suggest tightening the head cover bolts and the head bolts?

If I take it down for head gasket repair do I have to take the engine out.  I know my Clymer says some frames are too small but they don't give percentages.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 01/17/13 at 10:59:55

Looking at the 1st photo, it looks like the PO didn't properly reinstall the head pipe (scorched fins on the right)....yeah, I think you're wise to re-inspect the POs work.

Rocket: 6,000 miles is right about when the head plug leak begins to show. The leak pattern is from the hole below the exhaust. When the machine is sitting on the stick, the oil drools to the left side of the jug, then when you ride it, the oil is blown back along the fins and splatter on the battery box and left side cover.
Prescription: head plug leak repair. While you have the cover open, re-tourque the head bolts and reset the valve lash. 1st timers usually spend 4-6 hours on this. 2nd time around you should be able to do it in an hour.

Also, at 6k expect the crappy vac hose from the right side of the carb to the petcork to develop leaks (symptoms: poor idle,  big bang backfire). Replace this with fuel hose - much better than the soda straw hose from the factory.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #12 - 01/19/13 at 16:01:15

rocket. if its anything like this build i just finished you wont have to strip it down to the head gasket.. i got a bunch of pics i'm posting right now. when i took the top of the motor apart i found that the P.O. (from what he said) took this bike to a shop and they replaced the head cap. WITH THE WRONG ONE!!!! i love stupid people they make life fun. they had to of known that it was the wrong one. they had to of used an entire tube of three bond. when i pulled it out it was completely covered in three bond.. looking at this and seeing the problem i decided not to mess with the timing. so i replaced the head cap put it back together, fired it up and found no leak. and the bike runs 100 times better. so here are some pics. hope this can help someone. and yes 1st2know is right. the oil was comming from the bolt located under the exhaust pipe.. the bottom bolt WAS missing from the head pipe. i really hope the scorch marks come off.

IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #13 - 01/19/13 at 16:07:36

motor_rebuild_4.jpg
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #14 - 01/19/13 at 16:08:03

motor_rebuild_5.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:18:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here we go..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.