Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 18121 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #210 - 05/29/14 at 13:18:15

Jeff71:

I had a thread on the paint process....I learned it as I went along.

Here is the link:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1387812207/0

The process involves lots and lots of taping, spraying, removing the tape and applying more, spraying, removing tape...then clear coating.

If you ever get to the Cincinnati/N. Kentucky area let me know.....I would be happy to show you how this is done.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #211 - 07/08/14 at 15:28:36

Action Update:

I have been riding the bike for about 1.5 years since the conversion, and I have logged around 4,000 miles in that time.  Most of the riding has been on local country roads, and I have been on one group ride of 120 miles, and made a couple of Dragon Trips with the bike.  I am not sure how many miles we rode on the Dragon Trip last year - but this year MM, Oldfellor and I rode 250 miles in the Lynchburg area, and MM and repeated the 250 miles each day in the 2 days we rode together in the Dragon and Waynesville rides.....and for me that included 6 runs up and down the Tail of the Dragon at a fairly aggressive pace (aggressive for me).  I did have a group of Sport bikes and Motards with slicks that seemed to be doing twice my speed.  I believe I rode about 900 miles total during those 4 days.

I did find at the end of the Dragon Trip that my rear wheel spokes had an issue - I had 4 broken spokes.  After a little research I found that I most likely did not have the spokes tight enough, and it is common to break spokes when they are not torqued tightly.  I bought replacement spokes and a spoke torque wrench, and I have the wheel ready to go again.  It may be good that we had wet roads for a some of the riding, as I may have broken more spokes with more faster riding.....with potentially scary results.  I now believe that for an amateur wheel builder like me, that the spoke torque wrench is a necessity.

I installed Pirelli Sport Demons on the bike during the conversion.  When I took the tire off to work on the wheel, I dediced that although there is some tread left, there is not enough to justify putting it back on.  I am surprised that I have worn so much tread off in just 4,000 miles.  I don't do a lot of heavy acceleration and I try to corner aggressively - and yet I have worn the center tread down until only about 1/3rd of the original depth remains...the flat center is about 1/2 the tire width.  The photo doesn't really show the flat spot like it looks in person. I would expect that if I left it on until bald, I would have gotten about 5,000 miles from it.  The Pirelli Sport Demon is on the right in the following photo.  It is supposed to be a Sport Touring Tire, and note even a soft SPORT rated tire.

I decided to go with a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring tire and try it out.  This tire has a harder tread compound in the center for extended mileage with the sides being a softer compound for grip.  Hopefullyl this will even out the tire wear and keep the tire from wearing out the center too quickly.

This post update is not only to provide a warning to those who have built their own wheels to check their spokes frequently - but also as a way for me to chronicle a few things.  The total mileage on the bike is 7,365 miles.  The miles since the Cafe' Conversion and miles on the Pirelli Sport Demons is 4,000, the mileage since the engine upgrades (cam, Wiseco 95mm, Mikuni VM36) is 6,000.  The bike averages around 54 mpg, and top speed to date is 101.1 mph.

Dave

« Last Edit: 07/09/14 at 04:22:01 by Dave »  

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #212 - 07/08/14 at 16:02:47

Dave, your bike never gets boring. Looks amazing. I love it.
FWIW, my RE Continental GT has Sport Demons on as standard. Looks like they are wearing well on a bike that has almost no power. They have good grip and is fun getting them right to the edges. Be interesting to see how long they last.
My 600 Pantah I use Battleax's on, the back one I expect around 10-12k km. They seem to wear really well and grip well. I guess I'm not that hard on this bike and ride it a bit gently these days.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #213 - 07/08/14 at 16:50:35

Great information. Thank you.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #214 - 07/08/14 at 20:47:22

Dave: put your's up against a Ryca and there's no question your's has THAT look! terrific! The cut-down tank on the ryca is a mistake. Apparently Suz is aware of all the re-building, as they've given ryca some free bikes.  Sure wish Suz would put a 'tracker' on the market, or give us the Tempter. I love that engine. Cheesy

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #215 - 07/09/14 at 21:24:32

not that it's any of my business, and it's short notice, but I think your bike could easily bag 1 or 2 or 3 of these awards:
http://www.caferacermag.com/bike-shows/

Cheesy Grin Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #216 - 07/10/14 at 04:12:19

zipidachimp wrote on 07/09/14 at 21:24:32:
not that it's any of my business, and it's short notice, but I think your bike could easily bag 1 or 2 or 3 of these awards:
http://www.caferacermag.com/bike-shows/

Cheesy Grin Cool

Well it would be a fun time to try....but unfortunately a family thing got in the way.  My youngest niece is getting married on Saturday.

My wife and I are stopping by the AMA Vintage Days on Friday on the drive up to Salem, OH......but Saturday not possible. :'(

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #217 - 07/10/14 at 09:06:05

Listen to  him being all mild and nice, whilst a' tearing the tread off his rear tire and bustin' all his spokes doing all them burn outs with MM ......

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #218 - 07/21/14 at 04:42:14

Well it is back together after replacing the 4 broken spokes with 4 new spokes and a new tire....and I learned some useful things.

1)  Check your spokes occasionally....especially on a bike where you built the back wheel.  According to the folks at Buchanan's Wheel and Rim, rear wheel spokes most often break because they are too loose...not too tight.  I had about 4,000 miles on this wheel and it seemed to ride really nice, and I had not checked the spoke tightness after the initial build.

2)  I bought a spoke torque wrench, and it appears that I has spoked the wheel with too little tension on the spokes.  Buchanan's recommended 60 in/lbs. for street bikes....and that is pretty darn tight.  

3)  I was having a horrible time getting the wheel true.  I would snug up the spokes to get the wheel straight - then use the pattern recommended by the Excel Torque wrench to tighten the wheel.  I would start with about 40 in/lbs and torque everything up, then go up in 5 in/lbs increments.  The pattern they recommend for torquing is to go to the sprocket side inner spokes, then the brake side inner spokes, then the sprocket side outer spokes, then last the brake side outers spokes.  Every time I did this I ended up with a low spot and wobble at the same spot on the wheel.  I tried several times and each time it looked good for a while - then that same low spot would show up.  It took me several tries and several hours before I learned what was happening.  Each time I increased the torque I would go to the inside sprocket side spoke nearest the air nipple hole to start - I used the hole as a reference of where I had started.  The problem was that when I started in the same place every time - it would pull that spoke more than the others - as it was the first spoke to be tightened at the new wrench setting....so eventually it would pull the rim out of round when you started to reach the higher torque settings.  Eventually I figured out what was going on....and then I would start tightening at the new torque setting for whatever spoke was at the point the rim was the highest.....so it would tighten the rim more in that location and pull it more round.  This worked much better.

4)  The new Bridgestone Battlax tire has a really stiff carcass, has a lot of tread over on the sides, and must be made for some extreme lean angles.  The tire looked like it might have wanted a wider rim as I was mounting it......it appears to be really tight radius across the tread and it makes it look like I won't have a lot of tread touching the pavement.  This morning I looked at the Bridgestone specs online and they recommend this tire be used on a 3.00 to 4.00 rim....and I have it on a 2.50 wide rim....Woops!

Looks like I need to change the rim if I want to continue to use this tire......Dagummit!

And it may be that the modern tires are not made for the narrow rims that are being used on the CAFE' conversions, and that may be a reason I wore the center of the tire out so quickly.  Here is a chart that shows the recommend rim widths for tires, and it confirms what Bridgestone recommends for their Battlax BT45 tire.  I could not find a recommendation from Pirelli for their Sport Demons.
http://www.c-note.dk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Motorcycle_Rim_Widt...
« Last Edit: 07/21/14 at 05:55:31 by Dave »  

IMG_1264.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #219 - 08/17/14 at 04:41:15

My tail light stopped working recently.  The tail light is the right shape and works well with this seat - but it is one of those cheap plastic and LED things that is not all that well made.  After a few too many rides gettng caught in the ran chasing MMRanch around the hills of Tennessee and North Carolina, the light got water inside.

You can buy replacements on eBay pretty cheap, and this time I was able to find one with a red lense that matches the paint on my bike and blends in better.  This time I took the light apart, and I have sealed all the joints with RTV to keep the water out!  I would recommend that all you Cafe' and RYCA owners do the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390676538747?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

« Last Edit: 08/17/14 at 07:18:01 by Dave »  

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #220 - 08/25/14 at 15:33:18

Dave how are you finding the  seat? Is the width comfortable? If you were to make it yourself would you make it wider?
I am measuring up for the sub frame at the moment and thinking of making the seat a little wider maybe to match the tank width.
All comments are welcome. Smiley
I'm looking at making the seat pan 10 inches at the widest point to avoid cheek over hang.

« Last Edit: 08/26/14 at 02:46:50 by paulmarshall »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #221 - 08/26/14 at 03:10:45

Oh, definitely some overhang!  The seat is just wide enough that the structural part of my butt is planted - butt like a bicycle seat there is matter hanging over both sides.  You don't notice it much when you are on fun roads with lots of curves - you do notice it when riding down the interstate for extended periods.

I am somewhat small at 5'-8" and 160 pounds, 31 waist and 30 inseam - so I am fairly compact.  I have been in the seat for 10 hours (1-3 hour sessions) a day a few times, and it sure does feel good when you get off the seat for a bit.  There is very little padding on the RYCA seat.

I am taking the seat to Kent Auto Upholstery in Indianapolis next month to have him make me a leather seat.  I saw some of his work a the Ton Up Rocker Reunion in Indianapolis and liked what I saw.  I want a bit more padding on the edges, and also a raised hump at the front to help tie the seat into the tank.

I tell people that this seat is like going to watch the concert at school and sitting on those wooden folding chairs for 2 hours.....it feels really good when you get off and get to stretch your legs.

I have attached a photo that shows the padding on the RYCA seat.  It is padded vinyl, and a couple of strips of 1/4" foam in the valleys with a full layer of 1/4" foam across the seat.  It is not very cushy.

Dave

IMG_0914.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #222 - 09/24/14 at 07:22:13

I will post this in my build...for lack of a better place to post it.  Maybe I should make a Tech Section Article someday.

As I indicated previously in my thread, the RYCA tail light is not very bright and does not provide much notice of you using your brakes in bright sunshine.  Oldfeller commented on my brake light the first time I took it on a Dragon event - he said the brake light did not stand out and would not get folks attention.

The next year I installed a supplemental LED brake light under the seat.  It is hidden pretty well under the seat at the point where the downtubes at the front of the wheel come up and meet the seat pan.  You don't see the light while walking around looking at the bike - but when you are in a vehicle behind the bike it is clearly seen, and it is bright and gets attention.  I actually installed some red tape over the lens to tone the brightness down a bit....so folks would not get blue spots in their eyes if they were sitting behind me at a stop light at night.  The light I used was pretty expensive at $ 79.95 - but works well.
http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=32&pid=720&offset=0

The photo of the light in operation has exceeded the ability of the camera to show the difference in brightness.....the bottom brake light is about 4 times as bright as the RYCA brake light....it really gets our attention!

This is what it looks like with red tape over it, the mount painted black, and my new red lense RYCA style tail light.

I really think everyone should add a supplemental brake light like this one, as the standard RYCA style light just doesn't get attention.

I just found a much cheaper light that most likely will work well enough, and is less than half the price of what I used.  The light has half the lights and is a little deeper and taller - but still should be easy to mount and should be a big improvement over the tiny little pea sized LED's that the RYCA style tail light has.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/3-watt-vehicle-mini-...

The lens is clear - but the emitted light is red, and they are really bright.  The light has 11 flashing patterns - and one pattern does not flash and you choose that pattern for the brake light.  It is not legal to have a brake light that flashes continually.....although it is legal to have the modulator that flash a few times before the light comes on steady.  It is possible to use the modulators with these LED lights.

« Last Edit: 09/29/14 at 04:06:13 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #223 - 04/25/15 at 16:44:42

I have been working on the front end for about a month.  I am converting to the stock fork yokes....the RM400 yokes increased the trail and made the bike steer sluggish.

Part of the work is also putting on a GPS 120 mph speedometer and 9,000 rpm tach...with needles.  The digital dash just didn't look right on the bike, as folks thought it is a vintage bike but the digital dash just didn't look vintage.  It has taken a lot of hours to build this bracket and get it shaped and bent correctly.  The 4 holes are for the turn signal, neutral and high beam indicator lights.  The bracket is now painted black and the paint is curing.  The bracket looks a bit big and cumbersome in the aluminum.....it will look less bold in black.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #224 - 04/25/15 at 17:17:13

That looks good. Modern instrumentation with a vintage look. Exactly what an LS650 cafe racer needs.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 30
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 18:38:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.