Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I SWEAR, I'M NOT DEAD YET!! (Read 154 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I SWEAR, I'M NOT DEAD YET!!
01/12/13 at 11:50:00

I'm that guy.
The one who starts a really cool ambitious build and gets half way through it and then... VANISHES!  Geeze guys... this "building up a custom bike when you have no idea what you're doing" stuff is hard!
YUP! I'm that guy...

Well, I'm not dead yet!
The short version of the long, sad story is that I started this project knowing full well I had no business taking it on all by myself; but I was supposed to have help from my now former friend, JAY, who instead of building this all up for me, screwed it all up, stopped half way through, and abandoned it. Not before I'd done almost $4000 worth of work for him and his gal, of course! It was supposed to be a trade...

I finally got the half-finished bike back from him in the Spring, and was able to undo and complete a few things in my garage over the Summer. I then dropped the bike off with another builder here in Portland who offered to finish up the stuff I couldn't handle, again in trade... Well, again, I did the work for him, while my bike sat collecting dust in his shop until last month I finally just took it all back home again... and here we are!!

Time, Tools and Experience be darned! I'm going to finish it up myself after all. It's going to take me forever, so don't hold your breath, but here's how she sits today:

I won't bore you with the whole list of stuff that's been done, or the even longer list of what still needs to happen, but I'm happy to answer any questions...

She looks rather pretty in the photos, but she's a hot mess really. She's a long ways off from going down the road...

Wish me luck!!

(OH, and if you haven't seen it, the original build thread is in my signature line... just for a sense of history!)

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I SWEAR, I'M NOT DEAD YET!!
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 12:00:12

The biggest issue is this:

This is where he screwed up the frame:

The two angled pieces that were originally welded onto the spine a few inches higher, blocked the tank from sitting down on the frame all the way.
He could have hammered in the bottom of the tank slightly to make room for these rails and left the frame entirely alone, but NOOOO...

He cut the bends out, moved them down, and welded them back on lower. Then realized that the big bell on the top of the stock CV carb was made to fit right in between those bends! so he hammered in half of the frame tube to make room. You can see the indentation on the left side of the frame. On the right side of the frame, he actually started to hammer the tube in the WRONG WAY!, then stopped, flipped it over, and hammered the rest in; so on the right side, there's an indentation on the TOP of the tube (which you can see in the photo) as well as on the inside of the tube.
Essentially, there's only about a third of this tube left in tact, and these indentations are hammered in exactly where the frame is otherwise unsupported. It's going to collapse right there if it gets any stress at all.
Additionally, even with these indentations, the carb just BARELY fits, and is sure to rattle against the frame if there's even slight vibration from the engine. (I'm guessing a nice big 650 single is gonna vibrate just a tiny bit!)

I bit the bullet, and ordered a VM36 from LANCER, which doesn't have the big diaphragm bell on the top, so it will give me a lot more space to get in there and brace this up. The carb should be here next week sometime, and I'm waiting until it arrives to see how exactly it all fits in before I tackle this at all.
I have a few possible thoughts, and I'm willing to let it be a little ugly since it will all be mostly hidden anyway, but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Right now, I am leaning towards using some very solid "U" channel, and bending it to fit inside of these frame rails, then welding that into place along the top and bottom. I may add additional bracing from there... who knows.

I'm half-tempted to get a new frame and start over from scratch!  Angry

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 12:34:01

It looks really nice so far. Whats the front fender off?

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 14:24:11

Beautiful, man, just beautiful!! Simple, clean, and I even like the color. Smiley Chrome fenders are sweeeet!

Two questions.  
      Where'd ya get the tank?

Could you post a close up pic of your front sprocket cover?

Hope you get'er on the road soon! Should be a blast!

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 14:36:17

Before you do anything else, get a qualified welder to finish those braces. Preferably one that builds/modifies motorcycle frames. He will tell you the right way to fix the weak spot in your frame.

Other than that, so far so good.

You said Portland? Oregon look here...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=29.0   Maine look here...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=30.0  England look here...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=66.0

The guys on that site have already found the right people in those regions. It's more of a hard core custom board than we are here. I belong to both sites, I'll take any research help I can get.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 01/12/13 at 15:10:50

that looks amazing!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/12/13 at 18:15:26

Thanks guys! I'm excited to see it through, even though I've been really frustrated with the process...

The sprocket cover I got from Skeebo; he was selling them and some other custom parts for a while, but hasn't posted anything since last July; not sure if he's still around... It's pretty sweet though!

The tank is from a 1969 Suzuki T350; got it at a local Salvage yard; looks great, but definitely NOT the best fitting tank for the Savage frame; I am using it because I had it already and I just love the shape and color of it.

I started a thread on DTT a while back, and yes, WD, I should definitely get their opinion before I do anything radical. I've done some welding, and built some stuff in my day, but this isn't anything I want to leave to my own guess work. There are two welders here in the area that I've been talking to about it. Right now I am waiting to get the new carb in from Lancer, and I need to figure out a filter for it so that I know what my clearances are; then I can fix the frame and start moving forward.

Most of the rest should be simpler, just time consuming...  Tongue

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #7 - 01/13/13 at 05:00:04

Oh dude you aint dead at all - you are creating something beautiful.
I followed your thread on DTT and wondered jealously where this build was going - I LOVE the tank and the whole look.
I went thru a similar experience with my XS650 but mainly due to all the horrible things that the PO had done to the frame (buyer beware!!!).
I'd say the best thing to do in your situation is get rid off all that botched welded pipe completely and redo them. So basically cut it out with a grinder, get some new pipe for the new frame bits and get it welded. Then you don't have nagging worries that the frame still has issues.
Make sure the new welder uses a smaller diameter pipe as a sleave/support inside any joins and takes his time - I would make sure I am there in person at the time if possible. Find a motorcycle guy who has done a fair bit of welding - it's not rocket science and if he is into motorcycles himself he will probably want to see you right.
One last push and you have perhaps the best looking savage I've seen - and my girl can attest to how many pics there are of savages on our laptop - a bloody lot Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/13/13 at 09:22:55

I'd just gusset the existing tubes instead of slugging and replacing, but, I'm lazy and a cheap skate...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:08:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I SWEAR, I'M NOT DEAD YET!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.