Rescuing a Savage (Read 904 times)
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Re: Rescuing a Savage
Reply #15 - 01/14/13 at 16:53:24

WD wrote on 01/14/13 at 07:16:20:
That's nicer than the US model. Diesel? Mine both have 2.3L dual ignition gas burners. I'm not fond of baby engines, my other trucks have: 85 Chevy C10 short wide bed is a 4.3L V6 with carb and 3spd auto; 49 Dodge has a 218 being swapped for 230 cubic inch flathead inline 6 with manual 3 spd; 69 Dodge with a 318 (5.2L) and 3spd auto. Big toys: 1987 Chevy C60 with 350 (5.7L) industrial and pto equipped 4 spd manual; 1968ish Dodge D600 based motorhome with 413-3 industrial V8 and 3 spd auto.

Can't link to any pics right now, wife switched hosting sites and hasn't filled me in on the details yet... Angry

Man, you're killing me... that's an awesome list of vehicles... i will die for one of them, i'm envy (in good way of courseSmiley )
Here in Italy there's a growing market of US cars and trucks, but they're always not enough.
My buddy who is helping me it's a Mustang fanatic and i guess next project will be a '67 coupè, but first he's got to finish college and get a work, putting together some money and then come to the US and find a good deal...  talking few years from now i guess, but good things comes with patience.

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #16 - 01/14/13 at 17:01:26

ToesNose wrote on 01/14/13 at 07:30:07:
Looking good Max   Wink

I think you have more skills then you give yourself credit for, glad to see things coming along for you. Can't wait to see the completed seat, and I dig those bars too   Cheesy

Hey thanks man for the supportSmiley
We've started the seat, it's a little bit rough for now but i guess it's coming along... we're trying to do it by ourselves, so it will need few try and failure before it gets done...
I will be posting some pictures tomorrow, right now it's almost 2 in the morning and i'm falling apart...
The bars are from a dutch company called Highway Hawk, they're basically the same of those mounted on the Harley FortyEight...
See you soonSmiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 01/14/13 at 19:29:34

Max, the trucks are all beaters, except the 49, it hasn't been started since 94, licensed since 74 (I was 2 when it got parked, been in the family since new). I live on a working pecan farm, our trucks get used, hard... 69 isn't street legal, 87 isn't street legal, 92 is a wreck, drivable, but not street legal. Motorhome is a storage shed 98% of the time. 4 miles per gallon...  Grin

You should have seen us in the days of the old forum out of Germany. Highway Hawk survived all their bad press from 98-02? Amazing...

Oh, friendly heads up... there is a reason they are called "Rustangs" from 64.5-90 something (whenever the Fox chassis was killed off). Later than mid-90s (or whenever the rounder ones came out) are better known as "Plastangs". My last 6 cylinder 1966 cost me $50, seller got the better end of the deal... Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #18 - 01/16/13 at 11:22:43

WD wrote on 01/14/13 at 19:29:34:
Max, the trucks are all beaters, except the 49, it hasn't been started since 94, licensed since 74 (I was 2 when it got parked, been in the family since new). I live on a working pecan farm, our trucks get used, hard... 69 isn't street legal, 87 isn't street legal, 92 is a wreck, drivable, but not street legal. Motorhome is a storage shed 98% of the time. 4 miles per gallon...  Grin

You should have seen us in the days of the old forum out of Germany. Highway Hawk survived all their bad press from 98-02? Amazing...

Oh, friendly heads up... there is a reason they are called "Rustangs" from 64.5-90 something (whenever the Fox chassis was killed off). Later than mid-90s (or whenever the rounder ones came out) are better known as "Plastangs". My last 6 cylinder 1966 cost me $50, seller got the better end of the deal... Shocked

Wow, 50 bucks for a '66? my friend will cry when i tell him about this: here you have to understand that those kind of cars even in the worst shape costs at least 5000 €... i'm talking about project cars, mostly a frame with a rusted body and no interior... really two different worlds :'(
That '49 dodge has a nice story anyway, are you thinking of licensing it anytime? it's a heirloom of your family...
About Highway Hawk i have to say that the few parts that i have seen 'till now looks ok, the handlebar seems well constructed, but i'm a newbie so probably i can't tell the difference...
Anyway it's a big step forward from the previous one, wich was also of the wrong diameter  (22mm) so that genius of the guy that put it on thought to grind the riser's clamps to allow them to hold it, and did the same to the control switches  Angry  

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #19 - 01/24/13 at 15:41:21

Here i am again... so it's been a while, thanks to WD i solved a taillight problem and then changed oil, spark plug, oil filter and upolstered tle saddle... all made in house, the cheaper the better... bought half meter of synthetic leather and glue for about 10€...
but before tackling the saddle, i had to give the baby a try, let her roll a bit, so, with the saddle as a (slippery) metal skeleton i hit the road and had a few round around my block... i'm no expert but seems the engine runs fiine... i really couldn't resist, and i took a picture afterwards...

and a few shots of the saddle in the making...
MustangKid my trusty helper cutting the synthetic leather...

Then glued on the frame...

Sorry for the mess...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 01/26/13 at 15:51:46

Looking good Max. Now you need to get yourself a pint or so of white brush on oil based enamel and make yourself some whitewalls... Here in the States Rustoleum FLAT white or white primer seem to adhere to the sidewalls fairly well. But only the brush on, spray on won't stick very long. Getting ready to do the sidewalls on my new tires (Unlike the 49 Dodge, I can't find the right size bike whitewalls).

You asked about the 49... refurbishing the 230 1957 Plymouth engine that is going in the truck, have 5 new old stock bias ply whitewalls, have started the wooden strip interior parts, getting ready to pull and rebuild/repaint the bed. Almost ready to put the 5 spd and rear end from the 1992 Ranger into the truck (drill 4 new bell housing holes and the transmission fits), getting ready to pull 2 leaf springs from each corner and drop the truck 3" closer to the ground....

Traditional lowrider, have a 1937 Henderson bicycle and a a roughly 1958 Firestone Beach Cruiser bicycle that will be in the bed at shows, along with a couple 1940s or early 1950s coolers.

You should come over in September for the Savage get together. If the guys ever nail down a date... It's at my place, 54 acres of fun... I live on a farm that has been here since roughly 1793 or 1796, the main house is an 1841 plantation manor (small one, but still a plantation manor house)... Motorcycles and Mopars...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #21 - 01/31/13 at 11:25:26

WD wrote on 01/26/13 at 15:51:46:
Looking good Max. Now you need to get yourself a pint or so of white brush on oil based enamel and make yourself some whitewalls... Here in the States Rustoleum FLAT white or white primer seem to adhere to the sidewalls fairly well. But only the brush on, spray on won't stick very long. Getting ready to do the sidewalls on my new tires (Unlike the 49 Dodge, I can't find the right size bike whitewalls).

You asked about the 49... refurbishing the 230 1957 Plymouth engine that is going in the truck, have 5 new old stock bias ply whitewalls, have started the wooden strip interior parts, getting ready to pull and rebuild/repaint the bed. Almost ready to put the 5 spd and rear end from the 1992 Ranger into the truck (drill 4 new bell housing holes and the transmission fits), getting ready to pull 2 leaf springs from each corner and drop the truck 3" closer to the ground....

Traditional lowrider, have a 1937 Henderson bicycle and a a roughly 1958 Firestone Beach Cruiser bicycle that will be in the bed at shows, along with a couple 1940s or early 1950s coolers.

You should come over in September for the Savage get together. If the guys ever nail down a date... It's at my place, 54 acres of fun... I live on a farm that has been here since roughly 1793 or 1796, the main house is an 1841 plantation manor (small one, but still a plantation manor house)... Motorcycles and Mopars...

Man, i would love to come over in september, but unless i find a job in a short time (and here in Italy seems an impossible task right now) i will not have any money to spend for such a trip... what a shame...
Your farm has a great story and me and my girlfriend are in love with that kind of architecture; i will love to see that Dodge when it's finished, maybe you can post some pictures here on the site in the cafe section, i'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum interested in this kind of stuff...
Right now i'm waiting for the new rear tire to be fitted on the rim, i wasn't able to do it by myself... for the whitewalls i can't find that paint here, but maybe there's a place not very far from here that sells a lot of american made hardware (in this area there are a lot of companies that build luxury motor-yachts and they use plenty of US made tools and materials) maybe they have it... i will check with them.
Anyway, thanks for the input, i didn't ever think that was possible to paint the walls of the tires...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 01/31/13 at 13:33:52

Painting is a cheater method. The tire can be ordered as a 150mm series in a whitewall, but, I won't run wider than a 140 and prefer a 130. I got a good deal (great deal) on some Dunlop Qualifier cruiser tires in 140/90-15 (stock 800 Intruder rear tires) on close out... $36 USD each instead of $126 USD each. So I'll paint one up to replace my rather worn out 130/90-15 Cheng Shin. The paint doesn't do a perfect job but it will be good enough for a bike that gets ridden.

I'd put the truck on the cafe side, but, it is no longer being painted orange and cream to match the Savage or the 1972 Super Beetle (Cal-look lowrider). Orange has become too common on 30s to early 60s trucks. Plus a traditional build calls for dark main colors... old Ford Dark Engine Blue and Cub Cadet Beige (perfect match for Dodge Truck cream). Hmm, might have to respray the bike (again) to match the new truck colors since the bike is still in pieces...  Roll Eyes

My 1963 Honda track bike is dark green to match the 1969 Dodge truck...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 02/01/13 at 16:11:03

Looking good Max, love that green!  I agree with WD white walls would look sharp  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #24 - 02/07/13 at 07:16:06

Thanks guys; i've kind of a sad news, this morning the bike failed the DOT emission control test...
So it's not street legal yet... i've left it to the Suzuki dealer with the hope that he might solve the problem and help me passing this test...
Finger crossed!!
In the meantime it's arrived the rear fender from Germany, so if everything goes as planned you will see some major improvements in the rear...
I'll keep you posted Smiley

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #25 - 02/07/13 at 09:50:14

maxtowers wrote on 01/31/13 at 11:25:26:
WD wrote on 01/26/13 at 15:51:46:

Man, i would love to come over in september, but unless i find a job in a short time (and here in Italy seems an impossible task right now) i will not have any money to spend for such a trip... what a shame...
Your farm has a great story and me and my girlfriend are in love with that kind of architecture; i will love to see that Dodge when it's finished, maybe you can post some pictures here on the site in the cafe section, i'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum interested in this kind of stuff...
Right now i'm waiting for the new rear tire to be fitted on the rim, i wasn't able to do it by myself... for the whitewalls i can't find that paint here, but maybe there's a place not very far from here that sells a lot of american made hardware (in this area there are a lot of companies that build luxury motor-yachts and they use plenty of US made tools and materials) maybe they have it... i will check with them.
Anyway, thanks for the input, i didn't ever think that was possible to paint the walls of the tires...

Let me save you a trip and sell you my 1965 Thunderbird! You know you want it.. sexier than a 'stang. I am tired of trying to be a restorer... not to mention the funds (lack of)

I put another engine in it as the first was starting to smoke. Power coated:
intake manifold
all from brakets
exhaust manifolds
replaced nearly all externa bolts with Stainless
got the heads checked/planed, new gaskets from there up
Pertronix ingition

This is me with the engine loaded to get installed. All cast iron 390 is over 750 pounds!  Later the engine was bored to a 428 and some were labled as 7 liters (but not the high perf ones, they were called 428 CJ)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 02/07/13 at 10:07:26

Drop it off here when you come get your tire... straight trade (I'm a Dodge guy but like 390 FEs)... Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 02/07/13 at 21:33:26

Those old t-birds were unibody weren't they?

IP Logged
mustang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/07/13 at 22:12:13

yes they are unibody.

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #29 - 02/08/13 at 06:02:33

A thunderbird! Another fine example of cool American cars... sure it will be awesome cruisin' on the Versilia's promenade with that rideSmiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rescuing a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.