Send Topic Print
Rescuing a Savage (Read 904 times)
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Rescuing a Savage
01/10/13 at 16:41:06

Ok,so it's time to share with you guys what i've learned here on this awesome forum... just FYI i'm totally "useless" as a mechanic, and i've choose the Savage as a platform to learn some basics.
Also i find this bike so nice and simple that has no equal around.
The point is that few weeks ago i got  this bike that was without pegs, without saddle, with turning lights fixed with silicon, a clogged oil filter, and so many bad things done by the previous owners that culminated in a "chopped" frame as in the first picture and grinded riser to fit a 22mm handlebar (just to name a few "tricks" done to the poor thing).
Problem was where to hook a saddle, due to the fact that for me it's almost impossible to get a Blue Collar Bobber kit 'cause i'm italian and shipping, custom, VAT  and so on makes it more expensive than the bike itself...
Anyway, finally i find a way to fix a saddle, changed oil and filters (both oil and air) got some parts on Ebay and the little bike it's gaining back its dignity.
Other mods that will be done in the very next future will be a Raptor petcock, and maybe a lowered front fork, due to the fact that i have already to rebuild it because of some oil where it shouldn't be...
So i'm open for suggestion, critics and all.
Thank you all for the BEST comunity on the web, i've learned so much and still learning every evening...
SUZUKISAVAGE.COM RULES!!!!

here is how i solved it...

New handlebar and grips...

and finally a way to fix a saddle... with some 40mm rubber silent block...

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Rescuing a Savage
Reply #1 - 01/10/13 at 18:36:14

Ya got it coming together Max! Love those handlebars...gen U wine old school look!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 19:40:49

Good on you....hope she loves you good once you bring her back  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 01/10/13 at 19:47:05

A word of caution. Can you get it titled and tagged? Sometimes a cheapie turns out to be costly after you pour work and money into it. But I gotta' say it looks like you have some good ideas and implement them well. Welcome to the world of the Seductive Single.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #4 - 01/11/13 at 00:40:47

Thanks guysSmiley as for the title i've got it; only thing i've to let her pass the DOT inspection, which i hope to be able to pass as i complete the requested features, like the rear tailight and license plate that MUST be on the fender  here in italy... then there are the rear blinkers and the feared emission control... finger crossed.
I'll keep ya posted with the development...
Thank you all for the support Smiley
As always SUKUKISAVAGE.COM ROCKS!!!

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #5 - 01/11/13 at 16:01:06

Hello everybody, so, this evening i tried to hook up the rear taillight that i got from the net and it didn't work; the bike came with no taillight at all, just a small light on the side of the fender that was hooked to what was the license plate line (and it didn't work either). i've tried with the tester if there's juice in the cables that were originally for the rear light but nothing at all...
Any suggestion?
One last thing: the light that i bought have just two cables instead of three like the original... did i got the wrong light or could it work?
Thank you all and have a good time with your SavageSmiley

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #6 - 01/11/13 at 16:29:17

really like a green savage - is the paintwork original?
grips are nice colour as well.
I like a motorcycle to have a sensitive range of hues  Smiley
you are rescuing a modern classic, hats off to you sir.

« Last Edit: 01/12/13 at 03:46:38 by strang »  
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #7 - 01/11/13 at 16:36:35

strang wrote on 01/11/13 at 16:29:17:
really like a green savage - is the paintwork original?
grips are nice colour as well.
I like a motorcycle to have a sensitive range of hues  Smiley
you are rescuing a modern, hats off to you sir.

Hi, no the paintwork it's not original, i got the bike with that color already on and i have to say that i like it too...
for what i can tell it was burgundry ( i've noticed some of the original pain in the inside of the side covers).
Thanks for your kind wordsSmiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/11/13 at 16:59:14

Your new tail light is grounded through the mounting bolts. One wire is tail, one is stop. The one that lights it up brighter is the stop side. To make it really bright add a wire from the mounting bolt of the light base to the ground lug on the engine. Eliminates the possibility of corrosion on the fender or chassis causing a weak ground.

Good work on bringing it back from the dead. You wouldn't see that much effort being spent on many in the USA, here they barely rate beginner bike status. Which I find amusing, a 650cc used to be considered a real motorcycle...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #9 - 01/11/13 at 17:13:59

WD wrote on 01/11/13 at 16:59:14:
Your new tail light is grounded through the mounting bolts. One wire is tail, one is stop. The one that lights it up brighter is the stop side. To make it really bright add a wire from the mounting bolt of the light base to the ground lug on the engine. Eliminates the possibility of corrosion on the fender or chassis causing a weak ground.

Good work on bringing it back from the dead. You wouldn't see that much effort being spent on many in the USA, here they barely rate beginner bike status. Which I find amusing, a 650cc used to be considered a real motorcycle...

Thank you for the infos, i was worried to have just wasted about 60 euros in that light.. now i just have to figure why there's no electricity in the taillight lines...

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #10 - 01/13/13 at 16:44:32

Ok, so after a couple of days of mumbling around it and  thanks to the wiring diagrams that i found here on the site, i kinda resolved the problem... or at least i'm getting close...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 01/13/13 at 19:04:25

Gotta ask... how did somebody in Italy get stuck with a Ford Ranger...  just curious since I have a 92 long bed and a 94 standard bed (and 3 full sized trucks).  Wink

Tail light seems to be working fine for you now. Have you decided yet how to hide the wiring? Epoxy gluing a piece of conduit under the fender works pretty well but you have to drill a couple holes in the fender...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #12 - 01/14/13 at 02:50:38

WD wrote on 01/13/13 at 19:04:25:
Gotta ask... how did somebody in Italy get stuck with a Ford Ranger...  just curious since I have a 92 long bed and a 94 standard bed (and 3 full sized trucks).  Wink

Tail light seems to be working fine for you now. Have you decided yet how to hide the wiring? Epoxy gluing a piece of conduit under the fender works pretty well but you have to drill a couple holes in the fender...

Well, i have to say that after owning a '75 Chevy K5 and a Jeep Cherokee, the Ranger (it's the european model, not as nice as the US one) was a good compromise between my passion for US cars and trucks and a decent fuel consumption... you see it's a 2.5 lt turbo diesel engine and if even for european standard it's starting to be a "big" motor, for me that always look and get inspired by the other side of the pond it's still a good compromise...and not to mention that it proved also useful to bring home the SavageSmiley
If you want to see it here's the link: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2661&pictureid=10498

About the taillight i guess i'm gonna drill those holes... that fender will eventually go and make space for one in better condition, as propbably it's not visible from the pictures but it's in bad shape, covered in bondo and with dings and bit of rust... too bad because i like the shape, but i figured out that it's cheaper and quicker to change it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/14/13 at 07:16:20

That's nicer than the US model. Diesel? Mine both have 2.3L dual ignition gas burners. I'm not fond of baby engines, my other trucks have: 85 Chevy C10 short wide bed is a 4.3L V6 with carb and 3spd auto; 49 Dodge has a 218 being swapped for 230 cubic inch flathead inline 6 with manual 3 spd; 69 Dodge with a 318 (5.2L) and 3spd auto. Big toys: 1987 Chevy C60 with 350 (5.7L) industrial and pto equipped 4 spd manual; 1968ish Dodge D600 based motorhome with 413-3 industrial V8 and 3 spd auto.

Can't link to any pics right now, wife switched hosting sites and hasn't filled me in on the details yet... Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/14/13 at 07:30:07

Looking good Max   Wink

I think you have more skills then you give yourself credit for, glad to see things coming along for you. Can't wait to see the completed seat, and I dig those bars too   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 21:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rescuing a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.