Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Fastest Savage
Reply #15 - 01/12/13 at 13:05:00

runwyrlph wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:24:20:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:06:11:
been in long sweepers where it starts feeling like Im astride of a drunken rubber cow..

I know that feeling, but I never knew the technical term for it until now! Grin Grin Grin

DITTO  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 01/12/13 at 13:40:23

paulmarshall wrote on 01/12/13 at 13:05:00:
runwyrlph wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:24:20:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:06:11:
been in long sweepers where it starts feeling like Im astride of a drunken rubber cow..

I know that feeling, but I never knew the technical term for it until now! Grin Grin Grin

DITTO  Cheesy

Gotta watch out for those Drunken Rubber Cows !   Cheesy

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #17 - 02/09/13 at 19:24:19

The Suzuki 650 Savage will never accelerate like a  four cylinder 650. Displacement being equal the more cylinders you have the more horsepower the engine will make albeit at a higher RPM. The Savage excels at TORQUE rather than horsepower due to it's looong stroke (94mm, 3.7"). The performance improvements that can easily and cheaply (compared to a multiple cylinder engine) be made to the Savage engine will yield substantial improvements in torque and  horsepower because Suzuki has seen fit to sell this bike with a VERY mildly tuned engine. The compression ratio is an anemic 8.5 to 1, the cam lift and duration (see Lancer's Performance Parts, (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006) is very tame, the exhaust system severely restricts the exhaust flow, the stock carb is jetted so lean it backfires when you roll off the throttle and the cylinder head has a severe restriction in the exhaust port. Just the addition of a higher compression piston (10.5 to 1) will yield a substantial kick in the pants feel to the throttle. Performance camshafts, cylinder head porting and a freer flowing exhaust system, better carburetion can more than DOUBLE the rear wheel horsepower of this bike. I will be detailing ALL of these modifications in the coming weeks as my performance rebuild moves along. I will be creating a list showing parts needed and costs for various phases of a performance build-up of a Suzuki Savage 650 engine. In stock form this bike lays down 25 HP at the rear wheel. Fully modified I anticipate  between 50 & 60 rear wheel HP. There is not a place with a Dyno anywhere within 100 miles of my location but come springtime I WiLL drive wherever it takes to find one and get a Dyno chart of my fully built Savage and post it here!

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #18 - 02/09/13 at 23:12:44

Good on ya, Super Thumper!  I'm looking forward to your future posts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 02/10/13 at 09:04:52

I couldnt think of anything else to compare it to..

When the road rises & falls just the slightest, the rear suspension compresses & rises back up a little, changing the front ends angle & inducing handlebar oscillation, which causes some real sphincter tightening & a slow dialing down of the gas. Im GUessing thats what causes the front end to swing like that. Seems like once that starts the rise & fall of the rear end becomes pronounced, but that could just be my heightened awareness caused by the sense of impending pain.

I was talking to one of the newest guys just the other day about this very thing. He was saying he doesnt really like the bike, because its so evil handling. I Like that about it. IF it was a rolling scalpel, carving thru corners with ease Then I would be wanting to run it thru corners At ITS level of Capability,,, & If it was a REal Good handler, its abilities would be more than mine & I would get hurt. This evil handling machine cant go as fast as I can, so, I have been forced to slow down. I have not crashed this one. Iver dropped it in the yard & at an intersection, but Crashed? Lost it at speed? Noperz.. It tells me we are going fast enough.
Loping the drunk rubber cow thru a turn is plenty exciting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/10/13 at 09:32:38

you guys got some weird sex toys.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #21 - 02/10/13 at 10:02:55

When I first got my savage it wobbled a bit (Not as bad as you are describing) which of course is irritating. I found the steering head bearings were just a little loose & tightened them up. I also added a pair of used rear shocks from A Harley Sportster I had laying around. They are 2" longer than the stock shocks and have better dampening. The combination of these two changes eliminated my wobble problems. Raising the rear end with the 2" longer shocks also changes the steering rake which I believe helped the handling. You might also check the swingarm to make sure the bearings are not loose. The Suzuki savage is NOT an evil handling bike...when things are tight ans straight it doesn't wobble but it is not a corner carver and will never be one. No bike should EVER wobble....this can always be fixed.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 02/10/13 at 10:30:35

It only does that on a long sweeper. It runs thru shorter radius turns quite well. So well, in fact, Ive had to tie the rubber onto the right peg with a wire, because Ive cut it down dragging it in corners. There is this One really long radius turn about 2 miles from home that simply cant be done at the speed the bike has motor enough to run. It will get out of control just around 60 MPH in that one, IF Im on the outside of it. If Im on the inside, making it a r/hander, it'll come thru there pushing 65, which is really about insane, because theres a mailbox not far from that corners exit.
Ive seen them pull up to it, facing the wrong way, blocking the road pretty well. Sure would suck to come thru there & exit that corner dedicated to a line & see that Red Chevy TRuck grille,,
My daughter saw them do that one day. She went back & told them
:My Daddy rides a motorcycle & he comes thru that corner & I sure would be unhappy if he came thru there & you had the road blocked & he got hurt"

I havent seen them stop there since, but Im not bettin MY Life on it,,

Ohh,, sorry, I didn't address your well made points. Thanks for that.

Ive checked the front end, it seems okay to me, maybe my inspection wasnt sufficient? I got it rolling in the shop, smooth cement, & grabbed the brake.. No "Clicky" feel. I rocked it, brake on, still nothing that I could feel,.
Swingarm? I Think Ive looked at it close enough. I feel pretty secure about it. Ive had the tire outta there several times & I always grab & wiggle stuff. I didnt notice anything that caused me any concern, BUT, the pressures I put on it by hand & the pressures it sees in a corner are light years apart,, what more should I do? Keep in mind, except for this type of corner, a LOng radius sweeper, Im really satisfied with it. It Does keep me safe from my own adventurous spirit in this one area, tho.
I am very cautious about pressing it, because I know it can become unruly, &, For ME, thats a good thing,
Thanks for your replies.,
& Of Course the Toys are strange,, & not one bit stranger than the sex
that goes along with them,

When ya comin over?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 02/10/13 at 11:26:18

Ima guessin' you feel that because of the rake.
I really do have to fight the bars going thru a turn at various leans.
It wants to turn harder than the sweeper is.
And sometimes, yeah, drunken cow, but just cause I can't get the right lean and turn together.  And then sometimes... oooh that's sweet.  Looks like I know what I'm doing... today.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
A-Bolt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vegas Baby
Reply #24 - 02/10/13 at 12:39:57

Fastest too 50mph! These thumpers are one of 'em.  Tho I loved my

1974 350 RD    RD aka Rapid Death!  RIP

06 S40,Changes weekly
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #25 - 02/11/13 at 10:22:30

Super Thumper wrote on 02/09/13 at 19:24:19:
The Suzuki 650 Savage will never accelerate like a  four cylinder 650. Displacement being equal the more cylinders you have the more horsepower the engine will make albeit at a higher RPM. The Savage excels at TORQUE rather than horsepower due to it's looong stroke (94mm, 3.7"). The performance improvements that can easily and cheaply (compared to a multiple cylinder engine) be made to the Savage engine will yield substantial improvements in torque and  horsepower because Suzuki has seen fit to sell this bike with a VERY mildly tuned engine. The compression ratio is an anemic 8.5 to 1, the cam lift and duration (see Lancer's Performance Parts, (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006) is very tame, the exhaust system severely restricts the exhaust flow, the stock carb is jetted so lean it backfires when you roll off the throttle and the cylinder head has a severe restriction in the exhaust port. Just the addition of a higher compression piston (10.5 to 1) will yield a substantial kick in the pants feel to the throttle. Performance camshafts, cylinder head porting and a freer flowing exhaust system, better carburetion can more than DOUBLE the rear wheel horsepower of this bike. I will be detailing ALL of these modifications in the coming weeks as my performance rebuild moves along. I will be creating a list showing parts needed and costs for various phases of a performance build-up of a Suzuki Savage 650 engine. In stock form this bike lays down 25 HP at the rear wheel. Fully modified I anticipate  between 50 & 60 rear wheel HP. There is not a place with a Dyno anywhere within 100 miles of my location but come springtime I WiLL drive wherever it takes to find one and get a Dyno chart of my fully built Savage and post it here!

SD keep us up to date with your mods please as I am very interested in what performance increases you get.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #26 - 02/11/13 at 11:04:36

ZAR wrote on 01/10/13 at 10:34:20:
prsavage wrote on 01/10/13 at 10:08:09:
If speed is what you are after why are you riding a Savage?  Or any cruiser for that matter?  The Savage is what it is; a simple, classic cruiser made for just gettin' out there and simply riding.

That's true pr but it's human nature to see what the maximun performance you can get out of anything.

+1 on both

When I was a younger man the first question I would consider is "How fast can I make this go?"

Now my first consideration is "How long can I make this last?"

Human nature it is.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home