Send Topic Print
Suicide shifter (Read 712 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Suicide shifter
Reply #30 - 01/12/13 at 19:22:16

I apollogize that I spoke for others. Did not intend to.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 01/13/13 at 09:08:01

I wasn't trying to discourage, but, my first 4 bikes were foot clutch tank shift. I never finished the conversion on mine because the shifter stub is such a pain in the neck to access.

Once you get good with the set up it is no harder than driving a 3-5 speed car.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 01/13/13 at 10:11:13

Cavi Mike wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:05:20:
I figured someone would argue the point about "being ready" at a stop. If you don't have the reflexes to pop it in gear real quick and take off, you don't have the reflexes to pull away at all.

I care about the longevity of the parts in my bike. Sitting there riding the clutch at idle with zero oil pressure is only going to cause premature wear. No one rides their clutch at stops except for newbies.

I always have it in gear at a stop. It has saved me from getting rear ended once. Someone was coming to a stop behind me, miss judged, slammed on the brakes, and would not have made the stop. If I would have had it in neutral I would not have had time to jog the bike forward enough to avoid being rear ended. What ever wear and tear I add to the bike is far better than wear and tear on my body. That's why the motorcycle safety course teaches it that way.
Also it's the reason the shift pattern designed into all modern bikes when down-shifting is the way it is.
That said- if I know the light is going to be a long one, or I am stopped for a train, and the guy behind me has stopped safely, I will put it in neutral or shut it down as necessary.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:14:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suicide shifter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.