Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Suicide shifter (Read 712 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Suicide shifter
Reply #15 - 01/10/13 at 06:41:32

I also disagree with Cavi's statement that I should be in Neutral before coming to a stop. The MSF teaches that I should be in Low, or First if you prefer, and stop with the clutch disengaged. This has the bike ready for immediate movement should I detect a car approaching from any direction which might not stop before it hits me. They also teach that I should have stopped with an escape route preplanned, such as alongside the car stopped in front of me.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/10/13 at 06:44:40

Charon wrote on 01/10/13 at 06:41:32:
I also disagree with Cavi's statement that I should be in Neutral before coming to a stop. The MSF teaches that I should be in Low, or First if you prefer, and stop with the clutch disengaged. This has the bike ready for immediate movement should I detect a car approaching from any direction which might not stop before it hits me. They also teach that I should have stopped with an escape route preplanned, such as alongside the car stopped in front of me.

This great.......but we were talking about a hand shifter and a left foot clutch.  If you approached the stop with the bike in neutral - you would be able to take your foot off the clutch and place it on the ground for stability.  If you left it in gear - your left foot would have to stay on the clutch pedal (if the clutch pedal has a spring return).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 01/10/13 at 06:53:16

Dave wrote on 01/10/13 at 06:44:40:
Charon wrote on 01/10/13 at 06:41:32:

This great.......but we were talking about a hand shifter and a left foot clutch.  If you approached the stop with the bike in neutral - you would be able to take your foot off the clutch and place it on the ground for stability.  If you left it in gear - your left foot would have to stay on the clutch pedal (if the clutch pedal has a spring return).

That's probably the reason the old Indians, and probably the Harleys as well, had an over-center spring on the clutch pedal. That over-center spring held the clutch pedal down until the driver used the heel part of the pedal to release it. Removing the over-center spring turns the clutch into a "suicide clutch."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 01/10/13 at 08:01:25

Go to the website for The Horse Backstreet Choppers. Start looking for the article on converting a Triumph to foot clutch with hand shift if you want a pedal clutch. Very easy conversion.

You can set it all up off the lever fairly easily if you get your hands on some 7/8" handlebar scrap, a clutch perch and handle, and can get a custom cable made up somewhere (check a lawn mower repair shop).

Prefer a bell crank set-up with rods instead of a cable (zero cable slack issues, but watch for linkage binding). Stock throttle rods off a 48-60 Plymouth 218/230 L6 are just about the right size, NAPA sells the little ball studs they pivot on.

On a "normal" bike where the shifter mounting stud is visible, the conversion is easy. On a bike like a Savage, where the stud is not readily accessible, the conversion can be a royal pain in the a$$. I had mine almost done, swapped it back to stock.

Get in touch with some of the metric friendly custom shops and see what they say. Start with Dime City Cycles and go from there...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 01/10/13 at 18:05:20

I figured someone would argue the point about "being ready" at a stop. If you don't have the reflexes to pop it in gear real quick and take off, you don't have the reflexes to pull away at all.

I care about the longevity of the parts in my bike. Sitting there riding the clutch at idle with zero oil pressure is only going to cause premature wear. No one rides their clutch at stops except for newbies.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 01/10/13 at 18:06:10

And where is this guy anyways? 2 pages about this and the guy hasn't even replied.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 01/10/13 at 18:06:58

Maybe he was hoping for more "Ohhh COOL!"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #22 - 01/10/13 at 18:30:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:06:58:
Maybe he was hoping for more "Ohhh COOL!"

From this bunch???

Come on JOG Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #23 - 01/11/13 at 08:50:26

Wells thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wish more of you would have gave some ideas instead of discouraging me because sometimes its about customization and making the bike personal, not what's most practicle. At the same time I do appresheate fellow riders looking out for each others safety since it is such a huge part of riding and I can see how I could put myself in jeopardy if my throttle stock, I came to a stop on a big hill, or if I had to make a quick evasive maneuver to avoid a hazzard. So what I've decided to do is buy a new clutch cable and lever a d go threw with the sucide shifter. I'll make the lever bolt on so it will be easy to remove and can go back to stock setting if need be. I'll be starting this little project early febuary( I'm moving from CA to NY) and ill post up some pictures n what I did. Take care, god bless, semper fi, ride safe

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/11/13 at 09:15:17

I dont think anyone wanted to discouraged you, that was not the intention. You never know what skill levels people have. Just wanted you to think it through. I know for myself I have jumped in and done something just to wish someone had pointed out the problems first. PS, Love the suicide shifter look myself it would be awesome on a boober.

Someone above mentioned a foot clutch. Now that sounds interesting. I was thinkin about this last night. I live where deer are prevelent. Have had to come to a sudden stop quick on a few occasions, last thing I would want to do is take my hands off the bars to disengage the clutch. Especially since I have had the back of the bike wanting to come around the front. With a foot clutch you could still hit front brake, rearbrake and disingage cluth while having a firm grip on the bars. Wont be able to downshift but that is OK.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/12/13 at 11:23:40

It's also a VERY uncommon mod on a Savage; I doubt many people here have attempted it. Most riders these days, like myself have no experience with that kind of shifter either...

You might get better technical advice on how to set it up by posting your question to a chopper/bobber forum. Try googling for "Suicide Shifter" and "Suicide Shift Conversion" That may give you more technical help and ideas; even if it's intended for a different bike...

I'd never do it, but I wish you the best of luck!!
Cheers!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 01/12/13 at 14:12:51

Look at the pics about halfway down THIS page...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27638.210

Scratch head, drink a beer, read the entire build thread, read his blog,  scratch head some more... Dude knows what he's doing...

And yeah, he MADE all those finned aluminum parts...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #27 - 01/12/13 at 14:49:31

WD wrote on 01/12/13 at 14:12:51:
Look at the pics about halfway down THIS page...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27638.210

Scratch head, drink a beer, read the entire build thread, read his blog,  scratch head some more... Dude knows what he's doing...

And yeah, he MADE all those finned aluminum parts...

Word of warning if you goto his blog.  It is most DEFINITELY NOT work safe!!!!!!

The guy does some nice work though I'll have to admit.  Smiley

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/12/13 at 16:10:45

MShipley wrote on 01/11/13 at 09:15:17:
I dont think anyone wanted to discouraged you, that was not the intention.

I'm trying to discourage him.....Why do you think it is called a Suicide Shifter?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 01/12/13 at 19:18:13

Dear Mr Shipley

If I failed to make my intentions clear

I would like to discourage you in your endeavors to build a different shift mechanism that requires more dexterity or requires your hand to be removed from the handlebar.

Thats what I was saying to the Original Poster

Im surprised that that wasnt clear & obvious/.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:06:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suicide shifter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.