Send Topic Print
the light bulb (Read 165 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the light bulb
01/04/13 at 14:40:55

LOL.......So a new report came out saying that the new curly light bulbs can cause melanoma. (an awful skin cancer). The recomendations are you stay at least 2 feet from the bulbs...........so the world will be cleaner while we all die..........another great mandatory decision from our government.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: the light bulb
Reply #1 - 01/04/13 at 15:05:31

MShipley wrote on 01/04/13 at 14:40:55:
LOL.......So a new report came out saying that the new curly light bulbs can cause melanoma. (an awful skin cancer). The recomendations are you stay at least 2 feet from the bulbs...........so the world will be cleaner while we all die..........another great mandatory decision from our government.

Hmmm... thinking themselves to be wise they became fools.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 01/04/13 at 18:07:55

When I was a kid I remember my mom taking me out every September to buy a new pair of school shoes. In those days every shoe store had a great big X-ray machine that you put your feet in your new shoes into to see how the shoes fit. Everyone thought it was really cool to see the bones in your feet...oops, a big mistake there...huge!

I wonder how many shoe salesmen later developed cancer from radiation poisoning?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/04/13 at 18:19:39

I dont remember the foot x-ray but I sure remember playing with mercury all the time..another problem with tthe new light bulbs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/04/13 at 18:25:20

They know the problems associated..just like they know what GMO food does. The "Unintended Consequences" Are the goals.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 01/04/13 at 18:39:57

Harder and harder to find incandescent bulbs, but they are out there.  Also, look at the new LED bulbs.  Better light for less energy.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/04/13 at 18:45:55

When I was a kid I remember my mom taking me out every September to buy a new pair of school shoes. In those days every shoe store had a great big X-ray machine that you put your feet in your new shoes into to see how the shoes fit. Everyone thought it was really cool to see the bones in your feet...oops, a big mistake there...huge!

I wonder how many shoe salesmen later developed cancer from radiation poisoning?

how old r u star?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 01/04/13 at 18:56:02

67 my friend, retired and enjoying every minute of it. Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/07/13 at 03:58:16

I buy boxes of the incandescent bulbs about every 6 months.
I do not like fluorescent bulbs, the light is poor and they do have mercury in them.  Think HAZMAT.  Fed. gov't mandates for it was a payoff for GE campaign donations.  They made billions from the big swap.
LED light is the future.  It is clean and long lasting and the light is pretty darn good.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/07/13 at 05:47:01

Aren't LED lights directional, rather than diffuse like regular bulbs?  We now use LED bulbs for landing lights in airplanes, but they are much light a car headlight - a narrow, directional beam of light right ahead of the airplane.  They are brighter, and consume less power, which for airplanes means you can have a lighter weight alternator and smaller battery, which weighs less.  Of course, everything in airplanes is about saving weight, which is not a concern for my desk lamp.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/07/13 at 06:03:56

I have an idea.... Huh...  

... Roll Eyes...  
... Undecided...
... never mind,... it's gone...
... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/07/13 at 07:02:14

That was one of those Incandescent light bulb ideas. Dang bulb blew out when ya turned it on,

Theyd sure last a lot longer if there was a button to drop in the socket that would let the voltage climb from 0 to 110 in 1/2 second.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 01/07/13 at 07:09:02

LED's can or dont have to be directional.

I have a beauty of a LED bulb set in a fixture that was made for incandescent ... the reason for the swap ... the incandescent's in that size and type, were NLA. Booya ... LED's were, and are a 1000% upgrade.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 01/07/13 at 10:26:23

Rather odd direction. So the CFL bulbs causes skin cancer but not the large tube type bulbs everywhere? Sorry not buying it.  I sit at less than a foot from two of them and have for 25 years. I assume they DO have mercury... but again.. so do and did the big bulbs.

FDA FAQ here:  http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandPro...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 01/07/13 at 11:34:08

Pine wrote on 01/07/13 at 10:26:23:

Rather odd direction. So the CFL bulbs causes skin cancer but not the large tube type bulbs everywhere? Sorry not buying it.  I sit at less than a foot from two of them and have for 25 years. I assume they DO have mercury... but again.. so do and did the big bulbs.

FDA FAQ here:  http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandPro...

Correct, excellent point Mshipley - oops I mean pine.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 11:52:18

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › the light bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.