Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
different rear tire size (Read 1259 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: different rear tire size
Reply #30 - 02/17/16 at 19:22:31

I Would,
But
I'm Tired.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FickAJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/10/16 at 09:52:26

im currently caught in this dilemma.  i dont want to pay the big bucks for the 140/80.   the 130/90 is a great price but id really like to not go down in size.  so will the 140/90 fit??  i have saddlebags with stock brakcets, my shocks are stock and i do take the wife out alot.  

im not at all worries about performance loss/gain just purely on looks id like to have the 140/90.  but if its gonna be a rubbing situation then i wont even mess around with it the 130/90 will be it.

its an 05 s40 and i have a kenda cruiser in front already and need to decide on this rear.  any help is appreciated thankyou++++

Fick

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/10/16 at 10:35:13

FickAJ wrote on 03/10/16 at 09:52:26:
im currently caught in this dilemma.  i dont want to pay the big bucks for the 140/80.   the 130/90 is a great price but id really like to not go down in size.  

Well it certainly doesn't sound right - but the 130/90-15 only appears to be a step down in size - it is actually bigger than the 140/801-15 (or at least it turned out that way for me with the tire I used).  The 140/80 tire was most likely measured on a 3.50" wide rim which is listed as the "standard" size for that tire - so when it is mounted on the Savage 2.75" wide rim the tire is no longer 140mm wide....the stock IRC tire measured 132mm wide on the stock rim.  The 130/90-15 Shinko 230 tire was actually 136mm side on the Savage when mounted....in increase of 4mm over the stock IRC tire.

Here is a link to the more complete discussion on tires:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

Don't be afraid of the 130/90-15 tire - it is actually a slightly larger tire in both width and diameter, and you have a much better selection of tires in that size.....you only have one choice of a 140/80-15 size.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #33 - 03/10/16 at 13:52:29

Cheapnewb24, just fill us in. I don't see any pattern except what tire size fits what size wheel.  Huh

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #34 - 03/10/16 at 14:00:56

I just installed a Shenko 230 in size 130/90-15 on the back end of my S40 and I would be hard pressed to tell you that it appears smaller, or larger, than the factory IRC tire.

It is a nice looking tire.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
FickAJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/10/16 at 16:55:48

well that settles it for me then.   just ordered my 130/90 and all the peace of mind that comes with it.  
thanks guys

Fick

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #36 - 03/10/16 at 18:05:04

Kenny G wrote on 03/10/16 at 14:00:56:
I just installed a Shenko 230 in size 130/90-15 on the back end of my S40 and I would be hard pressed to tell you that it appears smaller, or larger, than the factory IRC tire.

According to my calculator, the 130/90 is only 0.3937" taller than the stock 140/80. To put that in a round number, it's only 10 mm.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #37 - 03/10/16 at 21:42:35

Kris01 wrote on 03/10/16 at 13:52:29:
Cheapnewb24, just fill us in. I don't see any pattern except what tire size fits what size wheel.  Huh

Alrighty then,  Grin

Since everyone is either stumped or uninterested, I'll get on with it.

Here goes...

There is a pattern found in this chart correlating with aspect ratio. As it increases, smaller rims become increasingly compatible with a given width. For example, the smallest rim recommended for a 130/60 is a 3 incher, but a 130/90 can go down to 2.50 inch rims.

Here's why-- at least in my not-engineer opinion Grin-- Higher aspect ratios give a longer sidewall height, which allows less angle from the rim to the tread, curling the edges of the tread less., thereby giving a better profile and a wider tread compared to the smaller aspect ratio. Remember Dave's tire geometry discussion in the Cafe Tire Thread? Same ideas, but with an additional complication-- aspect ratio. (And yes, Dave, the tires are of different sizes, but the discussion is related.)

In a sense, higher sidewalls are more flexible and can accommodate more rims, while low profile tires are more picky. I bet that low profile car tires are extremely picky about rim size. Their squarish treads can't curl like bike treads, can they?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

About ready to drop the money on a couple of shinko 712 rears-- one for myself, and one for my Dad's 750 Shadow. His has a worn Dunlop 140/90 on it. Looking at it, it seems like  a lot of rubber for the poor little Savage, but it's mounted on a 3.5 inch rim. Looking to get 'em from Bike Bandit and get free shipping. Are there any better deals out there? http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-712-motorcycle-...

From what I remember, it seems that some people here don't like this company. I haven't tried them yet.

Any particular recommendations on tubes or rim strips?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 03/11/16 at 04:42:11

Larger profile tires are able to fit a wider range of rim sizes...on motorcycles, cars and trucks.

I buy my tires from Bike Bandit, and most of my online parts.  Bike Bandit stocks clothing and a lot of the aftermarket stuff they have on their website - but most of the complaints about Bike Bandit apply to every other online company when it comes to OEM parts - they don't stock the parts and they order them from the Suzuki warehouse - and if they are not in stock at Suzuki it can take a while for your part to arrive.  For tires they are fine most of the time - once they sent me a tire that fit the front of the ST1100 that was 3 years old....I complained, they sent me a fresh one.  BikeBandit and most of the other companies never see the tires they send you - they contact a distributor and the tire gets shipped from a warehouse that is close to you.  The good news is that by not stocking the tires themselves, they can offer a very low price and within a day or two you will have your tires - the bad news is that the warehouse may not care if they send you an aged tire (However Bike Bandit will intervene and make it right if you notify them of the problem).

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #39 - 03/11/16 at 05:30:03

Just throwing this in.Here is a 140/80 beside a 150/90

002_022.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 03/11/16 at 05:44:12

Demin wrote on 03/11/16 at 05:30:03:
Just throwing this in.Here is a 140/80 beside a 150/90

YIKES! Shocked

Does that thing fit under a stock fender?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #41 - 03/11/16 at 06:09:22

Not a "stock" fender. This 150/90 shinko 230 on my bike is on a 3.5" rim and the under fender bolts have been swaped out for button heads.

Even then the spacing has to be perfect. 78" roll out really changes the gearing. My pulleys have both been changed, moving the axle back in the slots. Might not clear the swingarm, or front of the fender with stock pulleys.
I'm not sure if a 140/90 will clear if you just change the front pulley. Anyone tried it?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 03/11/16 at 06:15:14

MMRanch runs a 140/90-15 Michelin Commander with the Kawasaki front pulley.  The tire does clear the front of the swing arm and it does work - but there is not a lot of clearance.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #43 - 03/11/16 at 07:14:07

To modify or correct the ideas I mentioned, the chart also seems to suggest that higher profile tires don't fit very wide rims as well compared to low profile tires. It seems that low profile tires like large rims and high profile tires like smaller ones.

Thanks for the review on Bike Bandit. I'll probably end up buying from them.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/11/16 at 09:52:00

cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/11/16 at 07:14:07:
To modify or correct the ideas I mentioned, the chart also seems to suggest that higher profile tires don't fit very wide rims as well compared to low profile tires. It seems that low profile tires like large rims and high profile tires like smaller ones.

You are looking at the chart without considering what it represents.  The wide rims are a new fangled idea, and one that came along as tire and suspension technology (and fads) changed.  New bikes have wide rims and low profile tires....some for good handling and some for macho looks - and the improved suspension systems have allowed low profile tires to be used on modern motorcycles. (Roads have also improved - and narrow rims and balloon tires helped to protect the rims from damage on early roads).

Older bikes had limited suspension travel - and the taller tire profiles functioned as a part of the suspension, and the narrow rims were necessary to allow the tires to have curved sidewalls that could compress and rebound.

The tire chart just reflects the fact that the newer bikes have wide rims and low profile tires - while the older bikes have narrow rims and high profile tires.  The chart doesn't reflect that the different aspect ratios are "generally" made for bikes that have entirely different functions....low profile for sport bikes, medium profile for sport touring and touring, high profile for vintage bikes or modern cruisers.  (All rules and common sense are thrown out for those foot wide tires used on show bikes).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:15:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › different rear tire size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.