Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stronger Clutch Springs (Read 285 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Stronger Clutch Springs
12/04/12 at 18:57:37

I read a post here regarding gearing up the drive ratios and upgrading clutch springs to prevent clutch slippage. There was a link posted also as to which springs to use. Can anyone confirm that this in fact is true and if so can anyone provide a part number.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Stronger Clutch Springs
Reply #1 - 12/04/12 at 20:07:24

I found the post in question.

"Since hutch mentioned clutch slippage, if you go to a gear ratio that is high like 2.5-2.75 it may be an issue.
the springs on the savage are not that good so here are the part numbers for a high friction plates and springs from bike bandit.

Bike bandit sells the vesrah plates and springs for the savage.  

VC330- Plates - 79.95
SK330- springs - 10.95

These should take care of any clutch slippage that is caused by the additional load generated by these gear ratios.

Is their any truth to this?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/04/12 at 20:40:23

Paul Marshal,

Many things were written over 2 years ago concerning clutch plates and springs on the Savage.

What was missing from our knowledge at that time was the different lengths of push rods and the beneficial effect that it had on prolonging the useful life of our clutch.   MANY SETS of clutches were replaced over 2 years ago that likely were not needed.   Much fiddling with washers under the springs was also done, also not always needed.

If you have been using miscellaneous oils instead of recommended oils, you can clean your fiber plates and steel disks to get rid of the slicky stuff.

What you should do now is go to the Index and look up the current references for Clutch and read up some.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

========================

Dave, did the folks at EBC ever get their clutch springs sorted out correctly?   Hate for folks to buy springs from them and get what you got.

=========================

Hop up motor guys, what is the story on your clutch pack?   Mine is still OEM stock.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #3 - 12/04/12 at 20:59:32

Thank OF. That Index you provided is very informative and I have saved it to favourates. Thanks Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/04/12 at 21:11:04

I'm wondering now,...
This issue of top gear clutch slip, came up before,.. and I posted that I get it 4th to 5th,,,
... but, now, since the mention of gearing up,... it may have been while I using the extra 2 cogs Kawa 454ltd front pulley... (and it only slipped WFO, 4 to 5shift, while drag racing my buddy)...(we tend to do that regularly, on one specific stretch)...

I just never tied, gear ratio, to top gear slip before...
Huh...  (.. and, I appear to be typing my thoughts,.. rather than any useful info),.. sorry 'bout that...

Any way,... the concept, that gearing effects clutch slip. is interesting, and new to me...
Maybe,... our stock clutch is overtasked at final ratio's beyond stock?...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/04/12 at 21:12:00

I put some barnett heavy duty springs in mine, fixed right up.

others have added a thin washer under the spring.

thin, a thick one with bottom out the spring.

Of course, that was the '96.  the '88 has a kevlar clutch with stock springs, man that ain't slippin'.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 12/04/12 at 21:45:12

verslagen1 wrote on 12/04/12 at 21:12:00:

I have faint signs of oil coming out past the arm release, So while I have it open I will look at replacing springs? I will look at length of rod. I dont think I will go as far as cleaning the plates as OF suggests, In saying that I will look at them. Anything else?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 12/04/12 at 21:47:05

Regarding the leak it is the rubber o ring I need to replace?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 12/04/12 at 22:00:44

verslagen1 wrote on 12/04/12 at 21:12:00:

Of course, that was the '96.  the '88 has a kevlar clutch with stock springs, man that ain't slippin'.

What was the part number for those springs you used? I am on there site looking at spring conversions but not sure which ones.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/04/12 at 22:20:06

Paul,  if you are going to take your clutch pack apart at least roughen up your steel plates on both sides with a finishing sander and medium coarse paper.  

You may find that the steel plates are currently showing smoothing and perhaps some dark steaks of glazing (energy star compounds at work).

Any USA energy star compounds that were used within the last 5 years operate mainly by binding to steel, so the steel plates are what gets mostly affected.  

By sanding your steel plates good, you get it all off the steel plates and the contaminated darkened zones on the fiber disks will then be fairly quickly abraded clean up by the rougher steel plates (those steels will become smooth again fairly quickly as they wear some).

You've asked about Rimula oil, it has a GOOD detergent and suspension package (similar to Rotella) which will help in your clutch clean up efforts.   Rimula would also help keep you from going back to a slip situation.   Getting energy star contamination out of your engine is a process that takes some time and quite a few oil changes to accomplish.

Thin washers put under the springs won't hurt.  What mainly helps the most is getting your chrome rod pointed into the center of your marks on the gear case halves   This means tuning your push rod length.  If you don't have this and are out of that zone, then you are drifting in the wind.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 12/04/12 at 22:23:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/04/12 at 22:20:06:

Paul,  if you are going to take your clutch pack apart at least roughen up your steel plates on both sides with a finishing sander and medium coarse paper.  

You may find that the steel plates are currently showing smoothing and perhaps some dark steaks of glazing (energy star compounds at work).

Any USA energy star compounds that were used within the last 5 years operate mainly by binding to steel, so the steel plates are what gets mostly affected.  

By sanding your steel plates good, you get it all off the plates and the contaminated darkened zones on the fiber plates will then be fairly quickly cleaned up by the rougher steel plates (which will become smooth again fairly quickly).

You've asked about Rimula oil, it has a GOOD detergent and suspension package (similar to Rotella) which will help in your clutch clean up efforts.   Rimula would also help keep you from going back to a slip situation.

Thin washers put under the springs won't hurt.  What mainly helps the most is getting your chrome rod pointed into the center of your marks on the gear case halves   This means tuning your push rod length.  If you don't have this, you are drifting in the wind.

I did that rubber band test and the top mark was in the middle of the arm. Would this require a longer rod?
When you say thin washers how thin?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 12/04/12 at 22:35:14

You gage off the bottom edge of the arm, while the arm is being lifted up with a rubber band to take all the slack out of the system.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348364195/0

Here, we went all through this about 3 months ago, take a look (he had the same questions you did).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 12/04/12 at 22:39:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/04/12 at 22:35:14:
You gage off the bottom edge of the arm, while the arm is being lifted up with a rubber band to take all the slack out of the system.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348364195/0

Here, we went all through this about 3 months ago, take a look (he had the same questions you did).

Mine is like the top pic so mine is good. Cheesy

Thanks OF

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/04/12 at 22:50:28

Considering the fail rate of the throwout arm & the potential for it to create huge damage should a hunk of it get into some gears, Id leave the clutch springs alone until I knew I had a reason to stiffen them up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 12/04/12 at 22:56:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/04/12 at 22:50:28:
Considering the fail rate of the throwout arm & the potential for it to create huge damage should a hunk of it get into some gears, Id leave the clutch springs alone until I knew I had a reason to stiffen them up.

I am removing the clutch cover to replace the o ring, How do I establish wether the springs are stiff enough?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:55:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stronger Clutch Springs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.