Send Topic Print
Silent muffler (Read 747 times)
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Re: Silent muffler
Reply #45 - 12/06/12 at 13:41:30

Serowbot wrote on 12/04/12 at 09:40:54:
If you want quiet,.. there's a price...
You might give up. a half a pony...  you might also gain a little low end torque?...
If I find a little dude, local,.. I think I'll give it a shot...  
You can always take it back out... Smiley...

I got my little dude and put it in (uh oh). I think it made it quieter, but not silent. I also think it made the engine noise quieter. More back pressure maybe? Then again could be my imagination. My hearing is bad after all these years of working around noisy machines and riding loud motorcycles. Maybe you've got some good ears to hear it. Can't take it for a ride until it gets warmer. Maybe Ohio will have one of those weird warm days. 50 degrees would be good enough for me. I set the air screw mix at 3/4 out. Sounds like it is running great at that setting. Hoping to get 55 to 60 MPG.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 12/06/12 at 18:32:37

As stated previously - a single cylinder engine is not the easiest to make smooth or silent.  Back in the old days they even made 16 cylinder car engines trying to get smooooooth.  The more cylinders there are the smaller the bang and the more even the engine pulses become, and they can be played against each other to help reduce the sound.

We got this big power pulse that can only be evened out by placing lots of baffles and chambers to smooth out the pulses.  Using a muffler from another bike really won't help, as they were probably designed for a bike that did not have this big of a piston as a single cylinder.  Multi-cylinder mufflers were probably designed to use the pulses that are more frequent and smaller in force than the Savage produces.

The next attempt I would make if I were in your shoes - would be to install an attacment on the back of the muffler that had glass sound absorbing material - it is better at cancelling the high pitched sounds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #47 - 12/06/12 at 21:44:58

BOBD, The Night Train/ Softail muffler seems --maybe not quieter, but a different tone. For about $30 you can mount one in 30 minutes. It is threaded for a 1/4-20 bolt and the clamp up front keeps it on. No rejetting. Just a turn or so on the carb. HARFXS1584  #65842-07  80db all stamped on the side. It mounts on the rear hole on the stock bracket. Use the stock clamp and wrap with Dr Pepper can strips for gasket. ihth  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #48 - 12/07/12 at 04:31:51

Dave wrote on 12/06/12 at 18:32:37:
As stated previously - a single cylinder engine is not the easiest to make smooth or silent.  Back in the old days they even made 16 cylinder car engines trying to get smooooooth.  The more cylinders there are the smaller the bang and the more even the engine pulses become, and they can be played against each other to help reduce the sound.

We got this big power pulse that can only be evened out by placing lots of baffles and chambers to smooth out the pulses.  Using a muffler from another bike really won't help, as they were probably designed for a bike that did not have this big of a piston as a single cylinder.  Multi-cylinder mufflers were probably designed to use the pulses that are more frequent and smaller in force than the Savage produces.

The next attempt I would make if I were in your shoes - would be to install an attacment on the back of the muffler that had glass sound absorbing material - it is better at cancelling the high pitched sounds.

Exactly correct.  I would delete the word "probably."

This is the reason it is counter-productive to use a stock muffler designed to have more than one cylinder dumping into it.

One thing you left out in the second paragraph is that the cases have to be made of heavy gauge metal, and with compound curves to minimize the sound made as the case expands and contracts with each pulse.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #49 - 12/07/12 at 05:59:17

I think I'll just live with the way it sounds right now. The only way to get a quiet motorcycle would be to buy an electric, if they ever invent one that I can afford, goes 200 miles on a charge and does at least 90MPH.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #50 - 12/07/12 at 06:33:27

Have you ridden a late model Gold Wing lately?

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #51 - 12/07/12 at 08:46:28

I'm afraid I have not and doubt I will, since they are too expensive for me.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #52 - 12/07/12 at 09:17:21

BOBD wrote on 12/07/12 at 08:46:28:
I'm afraid I have not and doubt I will, since they are too expensive for me.

They are absurdly expensive,... although they do hold up well,.. you could find a 2002 model with 100,000 miles of life left in it for roughly the cost of a new Savage.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #53 - 02/17/13 at 12:07:13

Still not silent, but maybe quieter. I have got the little baffle to stay in before the original baffle with 2 screws, but had to grind the heads down to fit muffler back on. I also put a sink strainer on the end of the muffler with 4 screws to hold it in as seen in picture. The video sound may not be enough to actually tell how loud it is. http://s1171.beta.photobucket.com/user/SUZUKIS40/media/SuzukiS40strainer_zps3...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 02/17/13 at 12:11:52

video not found

WWW   IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #55 - 02/17/13 at 12:38:30

Are you using Internet Explorer? I know that in Firefox it doesn't work for some reason, but Internet Explorer does.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 02/17/13 at 13:13:11

BOBD wrote on 02/17/13 at 12:38:30:
Are you using Internet Explorer? I know that in Firefox it doesn't work for some reason, but Internet Explorer does.

Yes, IE works.   Huh

don't know how loud that was, need a comparison.
maybe if you add some talking.

WWW   IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #57 - 02/17/13 at 13:16:10

I'll see what I can do. It is inside the garage so will be louder than outside. Too cold to do outside.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #58 - 02/17/13 at 14:13:16

« Last Edit: 02/19/13 at 04:50:26 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com