Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Silent muffler
Reply #30 - 12/03/12 at 11:35:25

Stuffing steel wool in the end of a hollow 2 cycle engine expansion chamber might provide a bit of sound deadening for a dirt bike - but it is not gonna work in the Savage Muffler.

Whenever steel wool or glass fiber is used for sound deadening the exhaust does not pass through it - it passes by and the sound waves are scattered into the fibers while the fumes pass on through a bit muffled.  Really effective sound dampening is done by evening out the pressure waves with baffles and resonance chambers....the more the merrier.....and it is a balancing act beween size/weight/function.

An attempt to shove anything up the tailpipe is going to provide the "BANANA UP THE TAILPIPE" trick that Eddy Murphy is famous for.  

If I was going to try and get things less loud....I would either try the method that Serobot proposed by installing an additional baffle core upstream of the muffler - or make an additional baffle that can be attached to the back of the stock muffler.  The RYCA boys have been using stainless strainers from kitches sinks, and I bet you could get a couple of different sizes and stack them together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #31 - 12/03/12 at 13:41:06

I'm resigning from this conversation. Think I'll just leave it like it is. It's quiet enough as is. Anyone else is welcome to it. Good luck to ya.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #32 - 12/03/12 at 14:51:44

BOBD wrote on 12/03/12 at 10:49:25:
Greg wrote on 12/03/12 at 09:51:09:
Quote:
Anything I do will have to be on the cheap side. I'm retired and on a fixed income. How about stuffing stainless steel wool in it. Would that rust too?

My dad used to stuff steel wool in the exhaust of my motocross bikes as they were too loud for him. He used a broom handle to get it in there pretty deep. I don't know if something like that would work for the Savage or not. It will work if you remove the muffler and stuff it in the front.

It would have to be stainless steel wool that does not rust.

In the extreme heat, the pounding from the exhaust pulses, and the corrosive environment of exhaust gases, stainless steel "rusts" too.  It just rusts more slowly than plain carbon steel.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 12/03/12 at 14:53:37

BOBD wrote on 12/03/12 at 13:41:06:
I'm resigning from this conversation. Think I'll just leave it like it is. It's quiet enough as is. Anyone else is welcome to it. Good luck to ya.

Shucks.  I was hoping you were going to do some experimenting for the Savage community.  We sure learn a lot from folks who dare to build things and occasionally develop something interesting.

IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Reply #34 - 12/03/12 at 15:25:00

Hi,
I think is 10 times harder to go against the flow!! everybody knows how to get a deeper louder tone just by changing the original muffler with a HD Dyna!! But making a "Silent muffler"!?!?!  Undecided

2002 Silver Savage 650 with Ed's L Forward controls and Dyna sorty mod. Cool
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 12/03/12 at 15:26:41

BOBD:  IF you do look at this thread once more......is your muffler stock?  I got to wondering if maybe it had been modified by drilling the end of the muffler....and maybe it is not as quiet as it used to be?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #36 - 12/03/12 at 15:37:12

Dave wrote on 12/03/12 at 15:26:41:
BOBD:  IF you do look at this thread once more......is your muffler stock?  I got to wondering if maybe it had been modified by drilling the end of the muffler....and maybe it is not as quiet as it used to be?

Good point.  The stock muffler of the last few years is pretty quiet.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #37 - 12/04/12 at 03:48:32

Dave wrote on 12/03/12 at 15:26:41:

It is the stock muffler and no mods have been done. I think maybe more of the waffle baffles it has inside it might work, but I have no way of doing that. Or some sink strainers, but I see no way to fit them in either. They all would have to fit passed the pipe opening and open up to bigger once inside the muffler. Don't see that happening either.

How about adding one of these before the waffle baffle? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4410020

« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 08:29:17 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #38 - 12/04/12 at 08:18:46

Serowbot wrote on 12/03/12 at 08:30:35:
Yea, sure,.. a giant megaphone will help... Grin...

Maybe you don't need a Goldwing,...
...maybe you need a Goldwing muffler... Huh...

Lots of room for more baffles.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 12/04/12 at 08:31:48

The stock muffler,.. doesn't use a a waffle baffle type muff...
It is chambered...  exhaust enters the pipe, but is blocked in the middle and forced through holes into a surrounding chamber, then down, and back through more holes to the exit pipe... This is a lot quieter than just a waffle with some packing around it...
In a waffle baffle,.. the air passage is just narrowed a bit and disturbed by protruding steel fingers as it passes some sound absorbing material... it can have packing, or not,.. but neither way will it be as quiet as a chambered muffler...

So,.. what I was suggesting was to put the waffle, in front of the muffler, in the exhaust pipe,... kinda' a double muffler system...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #40 - 12/04/12 at 09:27:26

This is what I see inside the muffler. Looks like a waffle design, but apparently not what you are talking about. Would something like this work:  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4410020   There is room for this. If 1 1/2" outside diameter will fit in muffler. Which means to me 1 5/8". It may not fit past the muffler connector.  Actually up to 6" might fit.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #41 - 12/04/12 at 09:33:08

It would be interesting to try...
Now, you got me thinking about giving it a shot... Grin...

Shoot!,.. $5 and some foolin' around... you never know...
I might try one in front of my Dyna...

PS,.. if you look down the back end of the muffler,.. you'll see a small tube with holes around the circumference... those holes are letting the exhaust from the outer chamber into the small exit tube...
Wink...

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #42 - 12/04/12 at 09:38:09

Serowbot wrote on 12/04/12 at 09:33:08:
It would be interesting to try...
Now, you got me thinking about giving it a shot... Grin...

Shoot!,.. $5 and some foolin' around... you never know...
I might try one in front of my Dyna...

Would it be too much back pressure since it is already a stock muffler?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #43 - 12/04/12 at 09:40:54

If you want quiet,.. there's a price...
You might give up. a half a pony...  you might also gain a little low end torque?...
If I find a little dude, local,.. I think I'll give it a shot...  
You can always take it back out... Smiley...

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #44 - 12/04/12 at 10:19:11

Serowbot wrote on 12/04/12 at 09:40:54:
If you want quiet,.. there's a price...
You might give up. a half a pony...  you might also gain a little low end torque?...
If I find a little dude, local,.. I think I'll give it a shot...  
You can always take it back out... Smiley...

I went ahead and ordered one, but it cost more to ship than the price itself. I don't know where to get any around here anyway. You can pretty much ride all year down there. I was in the Air Force working on the old Titan II missiles back in the sixties. I also lived in Phoenix for a year. It's still hot whether it's dry heat or not, you still sweat.

« Last Edit: 12/06/12 at 03:38:12 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Silent muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.