Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No, Timmy, Thats not a VW Bug (Read 188 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
No, Timmy, Thats not a VW Bug
11/24/12 at 11:30:20

Installed the Dyna muffler along with an adaptor from Dave this morning. I now have a motorcycle that sounds like...wait for it...a motorcyle.

My second car which I bought in 1970, was a 1966 VW bug. I made two immediate comparrisions between the bug and the bike. Both exhausts sounded the same with that metalic chirp, and the bike has a better heater. Cool

In all seriousness, if you are considering a muffler upgrade to the Dyna, do it. And the adaptor from Dave eliminated the diameter mismatch and leaks.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: No, Timmy, Thats not a VW Bug
Reply #1 - 11/24/12 at 12:56:50

Well I didn't see any post from Dave for his adaptor in the Marketplace, thow a pic up for us Blinky!!!  I've recently aquired a Dyna that'll eventually make it on my scoot, so I'm interested   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/24/12 at 13:27:56

ToesNose wrote on 11/24/12 at 12:56:50:
Well I didn't see any post from Dave for his adaptor in the Marketplace, thow a pic up for us Blinky!!!  I've recently aquired a Dyna that'll eventually make it on my scoot, so I'm interested   Smiley

toes,
I don't see them in the marketplace anymore either. He had two so maybe they are gone. Take a look at Dave's post in the tech section on the DYNA muffler adaptor. He has some great pictures.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/24/12 at 14:24:37

Blinky.....Glad the adapter worked well for you......do some durability testing on it and see how it holds up!  I haven't figured out what the warranty period is yet!

The reason I built a few was that I needed 2 adapters for a pair of mufflers that I had bought....and I ordered another piece of tubing while I was having things shipped from California to help spread out the shipping charges....and I made 4 total.  They are all gone.

I might get bored enough this winter to build some more.  The adapters have to be cut and welded...and that is not easy for me to do in stainless.  I need to find a cheaper source of materials and labor to expand the pipe ends....I made about $ 3 an hour for my time.  Maybe I can get a local muffler place to expand the pipe ends.

I will keep you all posted if I make more.....anyone have a cheap TIG for sale?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 11/24/12 at 14:49:42

Rather than the discussion, which leaves us even more curious, perhaps a pic along with a description might be the thing - YA THINK!     Wink

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/24/12 at 15:20:42

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353284557

360+,
I agree. Here is the link to the post Dave made in the tech section. He takes much better pictures than me.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 11/24/12 at 16:18:24

Thanks Blink,  hmmm it seems like the connector could be accommodated with a slight bend and a mild dimple. without the welding?   I don't know tho, because I am not a welder.   The dimple may present a slight back pressure, but compared to the muffler baffle, it would seem insignificant?   Also pick the smaller of the two ends as the overall pipe size and flange the bigger end.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/27/12 at 07:01:06

360k+ wrote on 11/24/12 at 16:18:24:
Thanks Blink,  hmmm it seems like the connector could be accommodated with a slight bend and a mild dimple. without the welding?   I don't know tho, because I am not a welder.   The dimple may present a slight back pressure, but compared to the muffler baffle, it would seem insignificant?   Also pick the smaller of the two ends as the overall pipe size and flange the bigger end.

In looking at a way to accomplish this with a much reduced cost...I have found that the 1.75" OD pipe in a 20 gauge thickness may be just right without expanding one end......if I can figure out how to get a bend in it without welding.  I am not sure if the stainless could be bent cold or could be heated and bent with a mandrel in each end to keep the proper shape.  Most exhaust systems are made using 18 gauge (0.049") thick tubing - while the 20 guage is (0.035") is 30% thinner.  It might work just fine as there is only about 1/2" length that would not be supported by the header pipe or Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 09:42:35

I would think a guy could get one of those from a shop for no more than $10.00 in labor. Materials extra.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/27/12 at 11:56:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/27/12 at 09:42:35:
I would think a guy could get one of those from a shop for no more than $10.00 in labor. Materials extra.

These adapters do seem pretty simple at first.....but in stainless they are just tough to get cheaply.  Stainless welds are tought to do, and the tight angle of this bend almost requires cutting and welding instead of bending.

To get one of these made by at a nationally known shop that does this for a living and is actually qouting real work prices.....I got a qoute to make 5 of them before I decided to make my own.

The material was $ 11.39 a foot and totaled $ 18.99.  The shop labor to set up the process was 1/2 hour for $ 47.50.  The cost to cut the tube was $ 7.00 each cut, the cost to expand the tube ends was $ 7.00 each, the cost to weld each one was $ 20.00.  The total qouted price was $ 236.49...or $ 47.29 each without shipping.  This was from a very reputable company that was just charging normal manufacturing rates.....not a local muffer shop.  I am sure that the work would have been beautiful......but it was just more than I thought was justifiable.

You might be able to find a local guy that will make you one as a favor, and that is why I posted the details in the tech section that list the dimensions.  I am not trying to make a living on these....I needed 2 of them for my own use and just took the time to make them myself.  For anyone that can do that or can find someone that can.....use the dimensions I provided.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/27/12 at 21:11:34

Some things cost more than they look like they should,, doesnt seem reasonable to me, but, needing an angle instead of a radius is asking for more I guess.

The right sized pipe to go outside it, sand in it & reinforcements in the end & some kinda press frame & a jack,, Id think would do it,

Be easier to slice & weld.

SS is overkill..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/28/12 at 06:54:27

I worked in an auto supply shop years ago before the internet, we had hundreds of exhaust pieces in stock and thousands more of less common ones in the catalogs. I wonder of there is any online cross references for exhaust parts with dimensions that would work. Being a premade mass produced item it would probably be reasonably priced, if it exists and we can find it    Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/28/12 at 07:02:55

Have ya gone googlin for one yet?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/28/12 at 07:10:24

I just got a qoute from an aircraft fab shop in Michigan.  Price to make 20 of them in stainless is $ 33.90 each......price to make 30 of them is $ 28.20 each.  A fellow in Texas said his local shop made him one at far less than that......so a local shop may be your best bet until we find a mass produced source.

I only used Stainless for mine as I hate rust.........

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/28/12 at 07:31:52

Id get quotes in exhaust pipe material, Its cheaper by far & easier to work, so the quotes mite be a lot lower.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 05:15:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › No, Timmy, Thats not a VW Bug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.