Old timers - personal (Read 233 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Old timers - personal
11/23/12 at 10:22:00

I am 65 and beginning to have prostate problems as follows...

A) have to pee 5 or 6 times a nite, and each trip only renders about 4 oz.

B) when away from home, I experience false "emergency" situations when my bladder isn't really full.  (again, maybe 4 to 6 oz)

C) very little pressure (a trickle only).

D) when I stop peeing, I still feel like I need to go more; i.e., bladder doesn't feel empty.

I had a recent PSA test in Oct, and am within limits for my age, so I don't think it is anything other than prostate swelling.  Anyway, I see TV ads for various products to help with this, but of course, TV ads are mostly actors wearing Dr smocks making extravagant claims.  I was wondering if any of the old timers on here had real hands on experience (eh, so to speak) with any products?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Re: Old timers - personal
Reply #1 - 11/23/12 at 10:26:24

There are herbals out there, but you never know the purity or strength of what you buy at health food stores.  Go to your doctor and get a prescription.  There are three or four different medications that will eliminate the symptoms that you are experiencing.  This from my own experience.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/23/12 at 10:39:06

360+,
My doctor has me on Saw Palmetto and Zinc, both available at Wal Mart. They are working well for me.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/23/12 at 10:41:17

My dad uses one of those "late night TV ad" remedies.
Says it helps, not a cure though.
Probably recognize the name if I saw it, but a little leery about searching for it least I'll get bombarded by spam for it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/23/12 at 13:09:45

Taking Magnesium helps muscles relax. People who take calcium & dont take Mag are setting up for a heart attack,
Lack of mag means muscles dont relax fully & well. That includes sphincters. Bladders have muscles, too. Decreased time between "The Urge" says its not relaxed enough, too. It may take 6 months to see improvement, it may take 2 weeks, depends on so many variables,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/23/12 at 15:39:37

Boy, do I understand!  I've been on Phytosterols 800 mg from GNC @ $19.99 FOR 90 CAPLETS (1 a day), ZINK 50 mg, very inexpensive at Wal-Mart and Prostavar R/X (SAW PIMENTO).  All are over the counter.  What I know, from personal experience, my PSA score has been reduced, still not a low as yours but all other functions are like they were 40 years ago.  At 68, I'm not sure I want anyone messing around, inside my backside stinky, if everything continues to function normal or close to it. You may want to GOOGLE Phytosterols and ZINK relating to prostate "issues".  A number of articles/studies available, which will bore you to death.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 11/23/12 at 15:53:58

What are your blood sugars like? Frequent urination is a common symptom of diabetes.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 11/23/12 at 16:00:28

Here is a link with some quality supplements. Scroll past the blood tests to see them. I must add a disclaimer that this is my brother's business and I work for him. But, he is doing this to help people, not make a ton of money. He will always shoot straight. And you can call him directly for information/advice.

http://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/search/&search_text=prostate&show=21&order_...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 11/23/12 at 16:10:28

arteacher wrote on 11/23/12 at 15:53:58:
What are your blood sugars like? Frequent urination is a common symptom of diabetes.

Actually, I had a full blood panel done, of which, the PSA test was a part.   Everything else is within bounds except cholesterol at 212 (god made BBQ ribs to keep people like me from ruling the world).   My PSA was actually 3.2 and my limit is 4.   I don't put a lot of faith in medicine and never have, because I think they just make half the stuff up anyway.  I'm the same way with drugs; don't like taking them and believe for each little good they do, there is a downside that comes with it.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 11/23/12 at 16:14:20

Greg wrote on 11/23/12 at 16:00:28:
He will always shoot straight.

I used to shoot straight too, but as I say, just a trickle nowadays.    Cool

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 11/23/12 at 16:22:11

360k+ wrote on 11/23/12 at 16:14:20:
Greg wrote on 11/23/12 at 16:00:28:
He will always shoot straight.

I used to shoot straight too, but as I say, just a trickle nowadays.    Cool

Grin Grin Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/23/12 at 17:23:00

Cholesterol is the body's Band Aid in weak vessels. Vitamin C allows the body to produce collagen in higher quantities & collagen is what vessels need to be strong. Take C, daily & watch cholesterol numbers..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/24/12 at 06:43:21

I am not posting this up to be alarming, just to share.

My father who is now 73 had prostate cancer 4 years ago.  He kept experiencing frequent urination and some discomfort from the bladder area off and on. Back and forth to the doctors a number of times, both his GP and urinoligist and all tests including PSAs came back normal. They would treat him for a urinary infection each time, rinse and repeat. After 4 times back his GP decided to do a biopsy even though his tests didn't warrant it on a hunch. Turned out he had stage 3 prostrate cancer, luckily he made it through treatments and is cancer free for years now. All said and done none of the doctors involved understand why no tests showed any indication of the cancer especially at stage 3.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 11/24/12 at 07:01:01

ToesNose wrote on 11/24/12 at 06:43:21:

My father who is now 73 had prostate cancer 4 years ago.  He kept experiencing frequent urination and some discomfort from the bladder area off and on. Back and forth to the doctors a number of times, both his GP and urinoligist and all tests including PSAs came back normal. They would treat him for a urinary infection each time, rinse and repeat. After 4 times back his GP decided to do a biopsy even though his tests didn't warrant it on a hunch. Turned out he had stage 3 prostrate cancer, luckily he made it through treatments and is cancer free for years now. All said and done none of the doctors involved understand why no tests showed any indication of the cancer especially at stage 3.

Dang it Toes, there goes what little sleep I WAS getting!   Juzzz kidding...  but you're right, prostate is a very real danger and affects a high percentage of us older gents.   Probably all the nuclear tests out in Nevada during the 50's, before they realized above ground testing had "certain side effects" depending on which way the wind blows.   Just one more service your Gub has provided.

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #14 - 11/24/12 at 09:25:48

ToesNose wrote on Today at 08:43:21:

I was 59 and having the same issues and my PSA jumped up to 4.2 and the Docs sent me for a biopsy (not a lot of fun).  Since there is a family history of prostate cancer I went along with the recommendation.  

Ended up with a small amount of cancer showing up in three of the 12 places checked.   Talked about treatment options and went with removal.  I had a robot do the hard part and recovery was not too bad.  I had to wait 90 days between the biopsy and the surgery; I guess the robot had a full schedule.  When the surgeon got the results back on the biopsy preformed on the removed prostrate it turned out to be 85 percent involved with an aggressive form of cancer, in 90 days.  I went with removal because I did not like the fact that there was no real back up plan on radiation if it did not work.  In my case with the form of cancer I had it would not have worked and I would be toast now.  As it is, I am cancer free for five years so far. Grin

Like Toes I am not writing this to be alarming, but many doctors feel that prostate cancer is a slow deal in folks our age and want to take a wait and see approach, but sometimes that can jump up and bite you in the wrong location.  The symptoms are not something to be glossed over and talk to a couple of Docs to make sure you get good answers and advise.  The third one I talked to said that at 59 this was something to be really concerned about and to take action now, I am glad I listen to him.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:16:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old timers - personal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.