Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question about fork tubes (Read 235 times)
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

question about fork tubes
11/21/12 at 19:26:21

hey guys, been a few months since i have been on here asking questions. now that the cold season is upon me and maintenance is required to the scoot i have a question or two or more Roll Eyes. i pulled my front end off to replace fork seals and bearings and noticed that one of my tubes are pitted pretty good. i have some raised spots on the tubes also. question is can i get rid of raised spots without destroying tubes and will pits effect new seals that i will be putting in? the pits are not huge in the sense that they look like the grand canyon but they are close together, so i wasn't sure if that would have any effect on them or not.
another question is, will a wide glide front end work on the savage? a buddy has a wide glide front end that he probably wont use(procrastination at its finest) just curious if i would have to do a lot of modding to get it to work. making things are not an issue as i work in a machine shop, just want to know if anyone has tried it or not. thanks in advanced for the input and help.
oh and congrats to dave and bot for making moderators Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: question about fork tubes
Reply #1 - 11/21/12 at 19:33:23

HOw the pit is shaped is the thing, IF it chews on the rubber, then the seals are gonna die young, Odds are, theyre not okay.

High spots? On a Tube? Im not seein that as okay,, How does that happen? Only thing I can imagine is theyre next to a pit & its corrosion building up under the chrome. Its not a good picture..

When I was rebuilding cylinders on the backhoe. one had been abused & was scored & pitted. I filled the areas with JB weld, so far, its not leaking,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/21/12 at 19:43:01

the best i can explain high spots jog, is that it looks like a blob of chrome plating. not very big but it doesnt have to be to ruin new seals. the pits kind of look like bug spots unless you look at them with an eye loupe. then they look like pebble pits. just dont want to have to replace seals twice if you know what i mean.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 11/21/12 at 19:51:24

just dont want to have to replace seals twice if you know what i mean.

Boy do I..
This could be a really good time to step to a better front end & tubeles setup.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 11/21/12 at 19:56:54

If this were an aircraft, you'd replace anything pitted that would touch seals.  

Those bumps are just rust bulging underneath the surface,... future pits.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I'd scrap the parts with pits, bite the bullet, and just replace with new parts or unpitted (serviceable) used ones.  Putting new seals on pitted tubes is like polishing a cracked windshield, or putting new rings in a scored cylinder, or buying a new bikini for your 65 year old 250 pound wife,..... the improvement will be fleeting at best.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/21/12 at 20:00:24

if your speaking of springer front end, i am all ears. would love to have a springer on my bobber, just have to find one on the cheap. what mods would a springer entail to get to work or is it an almost direct replacement?

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/21/12 at 20:04:39

gyro, thats not the image i wanted about a bikini clad anything, but the message is loud and clear. i work in the aerospace industry. looks like i am in the hunt for new tubes or a different approach to a front end.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/21/12 at 20:06:09

springer on my bobber, just have to find one on the cheap.

HaaaahahahaHaaaaahahahahhaaaa  

Look GUYS! He used Springer & Cheap in the same sentence!

Yea,, I sure like the look too,, but dang, I SEE lots O stuff I like. Ill never have it tho..cant pay for it,,
There are some good, easy swap front ends out there, brake upgrade, mags, real tubeless,, cheap. I think Versy has done it,

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/21/12 at 20:10:35

yeah yeah, i know dreaming of a cheap springer, but hey dream big if you can. not fond of mag wheels on a bike, let alone a bobber. which leads me to the question of a wide glide front end. would it work? and how much modding would have to be done?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/21/12 at 20:28:50

Man,,, IM not the guy to ask that kinda stuff,,Others have torn the thing apart from end to end, BUmmerr your forks are a mess, but. It does give ya the options on How to fiz it,

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/21/12 at 20:47:38

ahh its cool jog, im just trying to get different opinions and insights as to what my options could be. im open to any suggestions on the front end. nothing is ever written in stone with this bike. i have changed the look of it for the last three seasons that i have owned it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/21/12 at 22:41:45

Okay,... I'm really cheap, so take that into account... (if you buy $300 mufflers, $400 shocks, and $150 handlebars, ignore this)...
... but,.. bumps have to be added material, likely bug guts... buff them off... 0000# steel wool at most, try cleaner first..
Pits,... may have cratered edges from pebbles?... smooth them with wool...
Bumps will buff off,.. and craters, with edges smoothed won't cause any more damage.... maybe some light weeping...
If the weeping is too severe,.. you need tubes...
But,.. I'd try it.... 'cause I'm cheap...

Did I mention,.. that I don't like to pay a lot?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/22/12 at 04:03:16

ohio thumper wrote on 11/21/12 at 19:43:01:
the best i can explain high spots jog, is that it looks like a blob of chrome plating. not very big but it doesnt have to be to ruin new seals. the pits kind of look like bug spots unless you look at them with an eye loupe. then they look like pebble pits.

If you have to look through a loupe to see them well I'm with Serowbot in I'd take the chance and work them and do the new seals. Any chance of a nice clear pic Ohio or are the blemishes too small for that?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/22/12 at 04:34:47

did some buffing and removed the raised areas and the pits feel smoother. some of the raised areas looked like dings and pinch points. but got them smooth. here is about the best pic i could get

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 11/22/12 at 05:26:00

ToesNose wrote on 11/22/12 at 04:03:16:
ohio thumper wrote on 11/21/12 at 19:43:01:
the best i can explain high spots jog, is that it looks like a blob of chrome plating. not very big but it doesnt have to be to ruin new seals. the pits kind of look like bug spots unless you look at them with an eye loupe. then they look like pebble pits.

If you have to look through a loupe to see them well I'm with Serowbot in I'd take the chance and work them and do the new seals. Any chance of a nice clear pic Ohio or are the blemishes too small for that?

Fuggedabaddit.  Those raised areas weren't there when the tubes were made.  When things started to rust years ago, what are pits now were initially raised areas caused by rust building underneath,.... embryionic pits.

Go ahead,.. smooth it all up, put in the new seals, and enjoy the lessening of the leakage.  Maybe you can sell the bike before everything starts leaking a lot.  Again.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:27:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about fork tubes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.